What's new

Designated Survivor (ABC>Netflix) (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
crazy.gif

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Why Netflix is picking it up for a season three is beyond me.
Netflix had the first-run rights to the first two seasons for all markets outside of the US and Canada.

Making new deals with an entire cast after the studio's options on them have expired is not for the faint of heart, so I can only imagine that the metrics from the international territories for this show were off the charts. My guess is that the original US audience that watched this on ABC is incidental to Netflix.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Netflix had the first-run rights to the first two seasons for all markets outside of the US and Canada.

Making new deals with an entire cast after the studio's options on them have expired is not for the faint of heart, so I can only imagine that the metrics from the international territories for this show were off the charts. My guess is that the original US audience that watched this on ABC is incidental to Netflix.

I can't imagine people outside the US can be THAT screwed up...to actually like this show.

:D

Please...j/k :laugh:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I'll go as far as actually watching the show ever again, but I will be following developments closely. This whole situation is just fascinating to me.

Does the third season still conform to 41 minute episodes with clearly defined act breaks for commercials, or do they retool it to more closely mirror other Netflix originals? Will they shift to the 2:1 aspect ratio that Netflix prefers for original productions, or will they stick with 16x9 the way "Gilmore Girls" did for "A Year in the Life"? Knowing that this is targeted at an international audience, do they shift the focus to more strongly emphasize foreign policy? Or do they lean into what international audiences apparently already enjoyed, and continue to tell a cliff notes, funhouse mirror distortion of the American political system?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

After a two week vacation in the UK, and the only shows on TV I saw were NCIS re-runs sped up to chipmunk voices, a Benedict Cumberbatch drama, and comedy-talk shows, I guess I can believe that they're so desperate for programming that they're watching dreck like Designated Survivor. :D

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I haven't even watched the second season yet. All the episodes are somewhere on my DVR, just never got around to them.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
After a two week vacation in the UK, and the only shows on TV I saw were NCIS re-runs sped up to chipmunk voices, a Benedict Cumberbatch drama, and comedy-talk shows, I guess I can believe that they're so desperate for programming that they're watching dreck like Designated Survivor. :D
Do the UK really run programs so fast you can hear it? The have technology to fix that.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I didn't watch a single minute of the second season, but now that the episodes will be on Netflix prior to the third season's airing, I may start season two to see what's there. I know going in that it won't be appointment TV, but I like Kiefer so much that I may hang with it to see where season three might go.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I didn't watch a single minute of the second season, but now that the episodes will be on Netflix prior to the third season's airing, I may start season two to see what's there. I know going in that it won't be appointment TV, but I like Kiefer so much that I may hang with it to see where season three might go.

Or, maybe not.

:laugh:

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I guess you missed Line of Duty then. That is some really brilliant TV.

And no, PAL speed-up isn't quite so bad. Then again, I live in a PAL country so I'm used to it... oddly in this era of HD, it still seems to be prevalent. You'd think by now it would have been eliminated.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And no, PAL speed-up isn't quite so bad. Then again, I live in a PAL country so I'm used to it... oddly in this era of HD, it still seems to be prevalent. You'd think by now it would have been eliminated.
???
My wife and I called it “NCIS Helium”. It was obvious the voices were off. Maybe if you’ve never heard the original and know what the actors sound like. But to me it was pretty weird. :)

And it was the case for *every* US show I came upon in London.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It still seems like a huge missed opportunity that the various HDTV standards didn't require p24, p25, i50, i59.94 support across the board

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
???
My wife and I called it “NCIS Helium”. It was obvious the voices were off. Maybe if you’ve never heard the original and know what the actors sound like. But to me it was pretty weird. :)

And it was the case for *every* US show I came upon in London.
There's software that will correct the voices. I guess they were to cheap to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks