What's new

Designated Survivor (ABC>Netflix) (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Instead, we get crisis of the week crap and dumb little vignettes with the Kirkman staff. TV at its worst. They're really not even doing multi-episode story arcs.
Missed the return episode but apparently didn't miss much. I'll give it another try tonight.

The description is ridiculous "Stranded astronauts need water". This may be the last one and it's off the DVR.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I haven't even watched the last two episodes from season 1 yet! All the last episode's spoiler told me is that the show has become desperate to attract an audience with decades-old worn-out plot points.

I win't bother following this show anymore. I'm done with it.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I haven't even watched the last two episodes from season 1 yet! All the last episode's spoiler told me is that the show has become desperate to attract an audience with decades-old worn-out plot points.

I win't bother following this show anymore. I'm done with it.

It's so ridiculously over the top it's fun to watch, I'm hooked again. And the actors do it so seriously, like it's even slightly realistic. Even when it first started, the entire government dies and one guy lives? :cool:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's West Wing as scripted by Michael Bay or the team from Alias. It's ridiculous. In fact, in several episodes they have absolutely stolen West Wing storylines dumbed them down, and then kept the back story of the weird alias chase/giant global conspiracy going

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Season 2 is losing me. Season 1 was taut conspiracy. This year is a mess. And after the hiatus, it's more adrift than before.

I don't know if I continue next season; I'm not even sure if I finish the season.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My wife loves this show but I find myself drifting off to sleep every time it airs. Kiefer was amazing as Jack Bauer but I find him completely dull in this role. Also, as others have intimated, the premise had no real chance of carrying the show beyond a couple of seasons. I wouldn't expect it to "survive" much longer but, on the other hand, you just never know. Clever writers can sometimes work miracles.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just had a co-worker come into my office and say that while he knows I am no longer watching DS, he thought I'd be interested that Michael J. Fox was given a role.

But, he said, the problem is that he and his girlfriend are having a hard time understanding what he's saying.

I haven't seen any of it.

But the girlfriend--who is in her twenties--had no idea who MJF is and no idea he had Parkinsons. She just knew she was creeped out by his mannerisms and that he was really hard to understand.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I just had a co-worker come into my office and say that while he knows I am no longer watching DS, he thought I'd be interested that Michael J. Fox was given a role.

But, he said, the problem is that he and his girlfriend are having a hard time understanding what he's saying.

I haven't seen any of it.

But the girlfriend--who is in her twenties--had no idea who MJF is and no idea he had Parkinsons. She just knew she was creeped out by his mannerisms and that he was really hard to understand.

I guess we all hear differently, I have no problem understanding him and he seems to be dealing well with Parkinson's. As I mentioned in another thread, Jonny Lee Miller is hopeless, I can barely tell what he's saying, that's why I gave up on "Elementary".

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve watched the episodes MJF has been in. There have been a few times his speech is a little hard to understand, but I was able to understand. I did realize his Parkenson’s had reached a point where he needed the cane. Unless it’s just part of the character.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve quit (before MJF came on). The show has become a bad attempt at mimicking The West Wing with a conspiracy bent.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I grew up watching Michael J Fox on Family Ties and Back to the Future, and I feel bad for what has happened with his health, but I really don't understand why shows continue to cast him. His condition prevents him from actually being able to act and you just end up feeling sorry for him. He sounds like he's reading his lines off a teleprompter.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This just in: Designated Survivor has been cancelled.

Minion-YAY.gif

I'm really not gloating...but it needed to be put down.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I loved the pilot for this show and stuck around for about two-thirds of the first season before I gave up Without gong back through all 13 pages of this thread, does anyone think it improved this year? I kept hoping it would, but it never did so my interest fell off.

I read somewhere that they were looking for another new showunner, which would have been the series' fifth, to take over in the event of a renewal. Given all of the turnover, I'm really not surprised ABC decided to cut their losses.

They had a terrific cast but the writers just couldn't sustain the storytelling long-term. It seems like the concept might have been better suited to a movie or a limited run miniseries with a defined endpoint. Here's hoping the cast go onto better and more sustainable things in the near future.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well, in the past two days, four shows I enjoy watching have just bit the dust.

(I still enjoyed this one, even though it lost its way. Some of the characters were fun to watch, even if the stories were straining).

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I grew up watching Michael J Fox on Family Ties and Back to the Future, and I feel bad for what has happened with his health, but I really don't understand why shows continue to cast him. His condition prevents him from actually being able to act and you just end up feeling sorry for him. He sounds like he's reading his lines off a teleprompter.
I was thinking the same thing when I was watching the show on Wed. I guess they figured they'd try to boost ratings by adding MJF to the cast (in my case, it worked, because I had never seen the show prior to his guest appearances). I kept thinking the character was a little like Louis Canning from The Good Wife, though.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, in the past two days, four shows I enjoy watching have just bit the dust.

"The purge" happens every year around this time as the networks make final decisions regarding their inventory before unveiling their schedules next week at the upfronts in New York. It sucks to have multiple shows you like yanked at the same time, but that's why it happens now. I've certainly been there before. Some years you get lucky and some years you don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks