What's new

Design My Setup (Pictures Inside) (1 Viewer)

hoosier122

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Johannes
Here is the room we are working with. (My mspaint skills are out of this world! ;))

The TV is an LCD 46" 1080p...I don't have brand & model in front of me now...will edit with info when I get home.

I bought a Sony receiver for $75 (craigslist), just pics...again I don't have brand & model in front of me now...will edit with info when I get home.
[url=http://www.highdefforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3280&stc=1&d=1232446295]http://www.highdefforum.com/attachme...1&d=1232446295[/url] [url=http://www.highdefforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3282&stc=1&d=1232446295]http://www.highdefforum.com/attachme...1&d=1232446295[/url]

Anyway, because of budget constraints I'm just going to start off with a 2, 2.1, 3 ,or 3.1 channel system, then build up to a 5.1.

I want to run wiring in the wall. I haven't decided whether I want in-wall speakers or the wall mounted swivel speakers.

The sound is mainly for movies and sports, it will rarely be used for music.

My budget right now is $500...

I don't need the best just something that will give that extra dimension to my movie/sport experience.

My questions are:
- In-wall speakers or swivel?
- At the moment 2.1 should I go with 2/2.1/3/3.1 given budget constraints?
- Is my receiver adequate?
- How big of a difference does the type of Blu-ray player have on sound/video?
- Where would you mount the 2 front and eventually 2 rear speakers?

Thanks for all your help and I'll get the model #'s for the TV and receiver up ASAP.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
With a $500 budget, I think I would start out with a 2.0 system. You might take a look at something like the Axiom Audio M22. Alternatively, you might look at the Axiom M3s and add an inexpensive subwoofer like the SUB120 from Parts Express for a 2.1 system.

Your receiver is adequate for your current needs.
BluRay will make a pretty big difference in your video experience, but would not do much for you in sound until you get to 5.1 and upgrade your receiver.

hoosier122

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Johannes

Will the M3s or M22's be a viable option for adequate satellite speakers in a future 5.1 system (think $2000 range)?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Sure. With the M22s, those could be used as either your fronts or surrounds in a full surround system. If you go with the M3s, I would shift those around to be your surrounds and put something like the M22s up front. For instance, a decent long-term speaker setup could look like this:

Fronts = M22s $470
Surrounds = M22s $470
Center = VP150 $408
Sub = SVS PB12-NSD $599
Total = $1947

Another good option would be Ascend Acoustics. You could start off buying the CBM-170s with plans to move them to the rear when you can buy additional speakers. Your final setup could look something like this:

Fronts = CMT340 $568
Surround = CBM170 $348
Center = CMT340 $298
Sub = SVS PB12-NSD $599
Total = $1813

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I second the Axiom recommendation (I am a bit biased since I have M60's, VP150, and QS8's).

The M22's are bigger than your typical bookshelf speaker, but still small enough to sit in a stand. They should have no problem filling your room with excellent sound.

Real Name
Freddie Ross
Also look at Paradigm Atoms (you'll have to find a dealer, they aren't available online). They're about $300 a pair. Very nice, musical compact bookshelf that has some surprisingly punchy bass for their size. For a sub I'd agree with the Parts Express model.

I believe the matching center for the Atoms is about $400, and you can add another pair of Atoms for surrounds for another $300 which brings you well under-budget. I'm not quite sure about the model Sony you have, but if it's from the generation I'm thinking, it won't be all that exceptional. I'd take that left over budget and look into a lower-mid priced Onkyo which should give you far greater performance. You'll also have the benefit of the new HD sound formats, which are supposed to be great.

If you want smaller satellites rather than bookshelfs, I've always been a fan of these. However that company seems to be doing some questionable stuff right now by phasing out all of their big speakers, so you might want to wait a bit and see what happens. Still, couldn't hurt to try a pair out for the 30 day thing.

The sub in the long-term might be a bit tricky. I'd just count on the Parts Express sub as a hold over thing. You've got a huge room with a bad shape that's going to need something a bit more powerful in the long term... Something with some sort of parametric EQ could be useful for a room like that. If it were me, I might even just hold off on the sub and get the front three for the time being, until I can get something to handle that size room. Look into HSU research and the mentioned SVS, as well as Google searching articles on sub placement in a square room. Definitely do some research on that one.

hoosier122

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Johannes
I was able to get a pair of Paradigm Atom Monitor V.5 speakers for $270 including shipping.

hoosier122

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Johannes
I went ahead and bought a pair of the Paradigm Atoms and am negotiating the sub.

I'll use this to run all my wires from receiver into the wall (3 gang, but I can use anchors to screw directly into the drywall...no blue boxes):

Then this to come out of the wall (same kind of system, I'll use drywall anchors to attach):

I decided to go with the "straight through route" versus having terminals behind the receiver and the speakers. I figure less connections, less signal loss.

I plan to buy wire and connectors from Radioshack so I don't have to pay shipping...any recommendations?

I went to Circuit City's going out of business sale and everything was still more expensive than Best Buy. That's not saying much, but still...lol They did have 20% off on DVD's and Blu-ray so if you're in the market that might be worth checking out.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
At Radio Shack, just avoid the Monster Cable stuff. You might also check out Lowes and Home Depot. Make sure you buy cable that is CL-rated for in-wall use.

Beyond that, just get some cable that is 14awg and you should be fine.

hoosier122

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Johannes

I am going with wall mounted speakers so instead of universal brackets I ponied up the dough and bought the brackets that actually fit:

Premier MB-60 Wall Mounting Brackets

Thanks. I'm aware Monster is overpriced candy.

What is everyone's opinions on how to terminate the wire? Bare, banana, or pin? To me it seems like the more connections you have, the more chance you have for quality loss...so bare wire IMO would create the least resistance. But I'm a complete newbie when it comes to A/V so tell me why I'm wrong...please!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
You may not see your posts immediately, depending on the way you browse around. Also, if you're a new member, some posts will take longer to show, based on the way the forum is structured.

However: you should be able to see all of them now (I removed one double post).

hoosier122

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Johannes

Ok, feel free to remove that "test post", and this post if you wish...Please:D

Real Name
Freddie Ross
Check out Monoprice.com PartsExpress.com and BlueJeansCable.com for cables. They have some very good prices on in-wall wire.

Congrats on pulling the trigger on the Atoms. I heard the V.5 in an audition and like I said, it's a very impressive speaker for its size. I would suggest that when you're ready to do full 5.1, you move the V.5s to the rear and look at the V.6s (and matching center) from a local dealer, from what I know the V.6s have a redesigned crossover and have a better soundstage than the V.5s (they also add a really nice new finish option). I'd also look into a set of stands for the fronts, which usually give better results than wall mounting. Mounting the rears should be very good though, as they'll allow you to aim them to your liking and get a more diffused sound from the rear.

Indeed that when there is a break in the wire, there is a slight impedance drop. While using wall plates shouldn't give you any problems, direct to the speakers should be a bit better. On the other hand, you're losing the "finished" look of plates and jacks. I wouldn't do banana plugs just yet seeing as your receiver has spring clips and not binding posts, and terminating bear is usually better anyway (the reason I'd do it at the receiver is a convenience factor).

Enjoy the Atoms, they are a very nice speaker for the price/size.

hoosier122

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Johannes
What's a fair price for:
Paradigm Titan Monitor V.5 (new and used)
Paradigm Export Monitor (used)

Also, how would these fit with my Atom's? Would you put the Atoms/Titans/Exports in front/back?

Lol remember this was supposed to be a "bargain build."

Real Name
Freddie Ross
Titan V5s were $400-$450 new if I remember correctly....Wouldn't have any idea what they'd go for used and I haven't even heard of the other ones. The Titans are pretty bass heavy....Not boomy but close. When I did my audition I walked away liking the Titans more but when I thought about it after wards I ended up favoring the Atoms.

If you were to go with the Titans I'd say those would be better up front with the Atoms for rears....but you could always try both and see which you like better.

Have you received the Atoms yet? How are you liking them so far?

Edit: Here is some info on the Export monitor.

hoosier122

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Johannes

Just got the Atoms on Saturday (in time for the superbowl.) I won't have time to wall mount the speakers so sadly they'll be sitting on chairs during the game. I'll give a report on the speakers after the game and possibly after watching a DVD (possibly Bourne Identity.?.?.?)

I also bought a new receiver...so it's a minor upgrade. It replaced my Sony STR-DE575 receiver. I really don't have the money to go "all out" right now: PIONEER VSX-818V-K (w/remote & shipping for $180 :emoji_thumbsup:)

I'm also looking at:
- Paradigm pair of Cinema 90 v.3 w/stand (used)
- Paradigm Titan Monitor V.5 (new and used)
- Paradigm Export Monitor (used)
- Paradigm cc370 center channel (new, but it's way too too big for my stand)

Next purchase (probably):
- Outlaw LFM-1 Compact Subwoofer

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks