1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Desert Fury - Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by t1g3r5fan, Apr 7, 2019.

1. t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan Supporting Actor
    Reviewer

Mychal Bowden
    JoelA, Douglas R, Flashgear and 3 others like this.
  2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Nice - now on my radar!

Will Krupp likes this.
  3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Thank you for your review. This was a holy grail film title for me. I'd waited many years for it, but I didn't expect a Blu-ray release before DVD. I agree with your review about this Blu-ray. Did you noticed the weird background noise during Smith's commentary early in the film?

Will Krupp likes this.
  4. t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan Supporting Actor
    Reviewer

Mychal Bowden
    Yeah, I did notice that. I wonder if the track was recorded at a studio that was adjacent to a railroad station, because it sounded like a train (without a horn sounding) passed by at one point in the commentary.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert
    :D That's what I thought when I watched and listened to this commentary back in February.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4710171/

6. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I bought the Australian DVD some time ago but this Blu-ray is a big improvement. Great music score from Miklos Rozsa as always and Imogen Sara Smith's commentary is excellent.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    After Eddie Muller, her commentaries are my favorite ones as she gives you a lot of information less Eddie's funny quips.

8. Message #8 of 10 Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Will Krupp

Will Krupp Cinematographer

Will
    I bought this when it came out. It had completely escaped my notice all these years but a recommendation from our own Joel Arndt made me pull the trigger and I'm so glad I did. What a complete hoot this movie is. So much fun and it looks so gorgeous. Mary Astor walks away with the picture, growling all the way. Lizabeth Scott is from the city (Scranton, PA) next to where I was born and raised so she was always a local favorite, too.

I have to echo the sentiments posted earlier that I can't believe this got past the censors and right under the noses of Joe Breen and company, because the gay subtext is barely "sub" at all. Wendell Corey even mentions picking up a "starving" teenage John Hodiak at an automat right off Times Square. The Horn & Hardart Automats in the area were notorious as some of the cruisiest spots in pre-war Manhattan!

9. JoelA

JoelA Producer

Joel Arndt
    Excellent review Mychal! And Will, so glad you enjoyed it. I thought you would. It is a hoot!

Will Krupp and Mark-W like this.
  10. Harold Chasen

Steven
    I just bought this as a blind buy in the latest Kino-Lorber sale, and I'm very glad I did. I can only, gaspingly, agree with Eddie Mueller's assessment - "Desert Fury is the gayest movie ever produced in Hollywood's golden era." It's certainly the most overt I've seen.

This isn't one of those "read into it if you want to" situations, or even an "only a sophisticated viewer will get it" situation. There's simply no other way to read Wendell Corey and John Hodiak than as boyfriends. Even Rope is subtle by comparison.

The lesbian overtones in the relationship between Mary Astor and Lizabeth Scott are more subdued, so I can see how that one got by the Code and by viewers of the time. This one is a more typical "it's there if you want to see it, but it's not there if you want to deny it" depiction.

Highly recommended. My only quibble is that the many day-for-night scenes often just look like daytime, which is both distracting and confusing (at one point the shift was so dramatic that I thought time had passed, but it was supposed to be the "same night" as the previous shot). I have no idea if the film always looked like this, or if original prints had better day-for-night processing.

Mark-W likes this.