What's new

Describe to me what the chroma bug looks like (1 Viewer)

TracyB

Grip
I have a Kenwood DV-5700 and notice this somewhat distortion on the outside of a object. Its looks like a (chrome type display) Is this the chroma bug? I saw a comparison alittle while back what a chroma bug looks like compare to one without the bug but cant remember if this is what I have. Do the kenwoods have the bug. I hope its a bad changer. I like everything about the changer except the picture.

TracyB

Grip
After doing some research I discovered that the Kenwood dv-5700 doesnt have this bug. I think I have a bad changer.

Greg Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I don't own this player but have an interest in getting one in the future. I believe this player has a few video enhancement parameters in the setup menu that you need to adjust. Hopefully someone with personal experience with this excellent player can chime in here.

Greg Johnson

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If you look at flames, or red-orangish video material, if there are honey-combed patterns in the reds, you have the chroma bug.

StaceyS

Stunt Coordinator
The artifact you are seeing on the 5700 is caused by the chroma enhancer. I call this the moth-eaten reds. If you switch to animation mode, that artifact should go away.
I like everything about the changer except the picture.
So you are saying you like that remote better than the picture?!? :)

TracyB

Grip
Hum, where is this animation mode. All I see is the inhancer mode which that didnt make a difference. I switched from the different TV mode, turned off the enhancement off but no difference

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Now that i can see the chroma bug, i wish i never read about it. Once you notice it, you can't unnotice it:frowning: I had to get rid of my Toshiba cause i couldn't stand seeing the bug. I got a Mitsubishi 8020 only to discover that it had the bug because it is basically a re-badged Toshiba 5700. I am back to the Panasonic RP56 which has the best picture of the bunch of players i have had, but no more DVD-A:frowning: I am more movies than music so i can live without the dvd-a. You might be better off not noticing the Chroma bug. I wish i never did.

TracyB

Grip
I just returned my Panny R56 and think it had a slightly better picture than the Kenwood Dv5700. I just saw the Yamaha C4620 which is basicly the Panny R56 and it seems to have the same thing that I saw on my dvd changer. Im not sure if this is a chroma bug that im seeing according to others. They say that the Kenwood DV-5700 doesnt have the chroma bug.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Here are a few chroma bug (chroma upsampling error)giveaways to look for:
1. Where two patches of contrasting color are one atop the other, a thin (one scan line thick) discolored horizontal streak is seen very near their boundary.
2. Where two patches of contrasting color meet on a slant, you can see occasional thin streaks extending horizontally across the boundary giving a ragged appearance, instead of getting a smooth boundary, for example:
If a normal diagonal boundary should have scan lines for one color that go as follows: very long, long, medium long, medium, medium short, short, very short you see very long, medium long, long, medium, short, medium short, very short.
Obviously discolored streaks or patches in the middle of what should be a more or less uniform color patch are probably not due to the chroma bug.
It is more noticeable with reds and oranges and turquoises because your eyes are more sensitive to color errors involving these colors.
It is more noticeable with computer generated video such as in Toy Story or Bug's Life because abrupt color changes may be more precisely aligned with scan lines.
Try several DVD's before condemning the player. It is possible for the chroma bug to be permanently impressed an occasional DVD (and also on DTV and HDTV) due to less than top notch studio equipment, where no equipment at the consumer end can fix it.
More:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidbug2.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks