Descisions: SVS 25-31CS or NHT SW10 or Velodyne CHT-10

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sergey M, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Sergey M

Sergey M Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

I'm half way through finishing up my bedroom sitting room (11x11) HT. I will have 5 NHTs when I'm done - 3 SuperOnes at the front and 2 SuperZeros at the back. I will most likely get Marantz 5300 (100 fixed crossover).

I'm not sure which sub to get based on the speakers and room size and would appreciate if you guys pick one of these for me: SVS 25-31CS, NHT SW10 or Velodyne CHT-10.

Thanks in advance.

2. Sergey M

Bump.

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Well, first off, you know that the CS series requires an amp, so make sure you have one. Or else you should be considering the PCi version.

That said, I'm sure most people here will direct you to the SVS. Compared to those 2 subs you mentioned, it will be much louder and lower. If you like the looks, go for it!

Also, w/ a 100Hz crossover, I would make sure to put the sub in a front corner if possible. This will help minimize localization effects vs. sub in the rear.

4. Bill W.

Bill W. Stunt Coordinator

Sergey,

One of my home theaters has superones all around. I have the SW10 and like it, but my room is much bigger than yours and I will be upgrading to a a PCplus in the near future.

If you decide you want the SW10, mine is less than one month old and I would sell at a very good price with the amp.

Bill

5. Sergey M

RichardH, thanks I didn't realize it needed an amp. I think SVS is a bit out of my price range (I'm on a budget). Thanks for pointing that out though.

Bill, I might be interested in your SW10. I have to get a receiver and central channel first. So, sub is the last item to get on my list. I could be a couple of months away from getting a sub. I'll keep you in mind when I get closer to actually getting one. Thanks.

6. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Sergey,

I used to run an NHT SW2Si sub in a rig similar to yours, except I had SuperOnes all around.

Then I got a single SVS 16-46CS. Powered with a Samson 700 external amp. There is no comparison between the NHT and the SVS. The SVS is much, much better at what it does. Far more subtle, too. It was to me a difference like night and day, seriously.

It's worth the extra money and, possibly, the wait to ensure you can get it.

I still have the NHT, it will go into another system shortly. It is a good sub, just nowhere near the SVS capability.

Mike