Descent Speaker Setup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Casey.K, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Casey.K

Casey.K Auditioning

Lately I've been searching these forums and all over the internet to try and put together a good speaker setup that has pretty good bang for the buck.

I'll mainly be using the system for gaming consoles and satellite tv, with an occasional DVD or VHS. I've decided on the Panasonic SA-HE200 receiver since it has plenty of power, good Pro-LogicII, and component video upconversion from other sources.

The speakers I'm currently considering are the JBL Northridge series. I'll probably get the N26II pair for the fronts and the N24II pair for the rears from www.jandr.com . This is all I plan to start with at first(you know, let some time slide before I coax more money out of my parents). Later I'll buy an NCenter probably, but I'm largely undecided on the sub. I've though about the JBL pb-10, but I'd like to see if there's an equivelant sub out there for less $$$.

Does the system I've listed seem like it will meet my needs? I'm open to any recommendations, no purchases have been made.

Also, does anyone here know the difference between the SA-HE200 and Sa-HE200K? Panasoic doesn't have the 200 listed on their website, so is it an older model or did jandr.com just make a little typo?

Thanks, and Hello All

2. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

As far as the sub goes- I've read the Sony WM40 outguns the PB10, but I'm not sure you can get it for less than the PB10 anymore. I know the DLS 10 from PartsExress.com is a great sub for only $100. Do a search for info on that one and you will get the Sony info, too.

Also, JandR.com has the S26 for $200/pair- not bad for an S series speaker. I also have read that the S center is the way to go, even if you go with the N series, but that may not be best in terms of timbre matching, so wait for those who own JBL's to tell you what they think of that.

3. Thomas C. H

Thomas C. H Auditioning

The difference in the recvrs "MAY" be
    1. more powerful,more connection hookups,more bells,buttons,and whistles
    2. the other maybe Dolby Digital 5.1,DTS,6.1,etc compatible along with ProLogic II

If I were you I would take the one with Dolby Digital 5.1,DTS,etc! Good luck!!

4. Ronnie Schildha

I am using the JBL NS24's and NS center with the PB10 sub.
    This setup can be had for less than 500 bucks at etronics.com. I have been using them for over a year with an Onkyo 575 and have been completely satisfied.

5. Casey.K

Casey.K Auditioning

Thanks for the comments, and I figured out that the sa-he200 comes in two flavors: k and s, the difference being simply black and silver in color. I believe that I'll stick with my speaker choices above, but I'm still a bit undecided on the sub. I may just wait awhile —it's not like the Gamecube or DSS are going to supply frequencies less than 55Hz anyway— but I'll heavily consider the DLS 10 when partsexpress.com gets a shipment in next week.