What's new

der untergang DOWNFALL (2 Viewers)

SteveJKo

Second Unit

Yes, why not? Especially since it represents a calibre of writing and acting not seen nearly enough in films from a Hollywood that loves special effects for their own sake, and where people can't commit to watching a longer film for it's compelling story and acting, those qualities apparently not having much value.

Of course if the film is over three hours long but full of CGI it's a different story......

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I saw this when it was out in the theaters and was totally blown away by it.

I can understand why some people were uncomfortable with it. After all, it put a human face on a "monster". Hitler, as a conception of evil, is so embedded in the collective conscience, that its hard to think of him has a "normal" human being. In a sense, that is what makes him more of a "monster".

During the film's initial run, NPR did a story on its making. One of the problems faced by Bruno Ganz was trying to capture Hitler's normal speaking voice. Seems there was only one brief recording available of Hitler in non-rant mode.

My only complaint with the film was that then ending dragged a bit after Hitler's death. I know that the director wanted to show what happened to the various characters who were in the bunker but it seemed like another movie. Overall, it was a great film and I'll be buying this one

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
For me, thinking back on watching it, the almost constant sound of the Russian artillery coming from the surrounds gave it an edginess and sense of approaching dread that almost had me giving a sigh of relief when they went back into the depths of the bunker.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jordan,

What I found interesting when watching the
"Making of" was that these war scenes were
directed by Oliver Hirschbiegel, who wasn't
an avid watcher of war movies and was not
certain if he could pull those scenes off.

I agree that the bombing and war sequences
are VERY realistic and that the amount of
surround activity this disc produces makes
it that much more seemingly authentic.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

If you can't devote 2.5 hours to watching one of the most gripping insights into real life evil ever put on film, how come you've got time to type out your opinions on this thread?

Back on topic - the movie has been available in R2 with English subs for some time, and I greatly 'enjoyed' watching it a few months ago. FWIW, Ian Kershaw did an extremely good background article on the making of the film for the Times Higher (the weekly newspaper for university staff). He praised it very highly. I've read Roper's Bullock's and Kershaw's studies of Hitler and his last days, and I think this film is about as close as we are going to get to a fair and accurate portrayal of the events.

Although I'd probably have found this film gripping in pan and scam and mono, I think it's worth stressing that in the R2 version at least, the sound and picture are demonstration standard.

Runar_R

Second Unit
I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to "Der Untergang". Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a crap movie, just that I felt it was rather predictable. It all kind of happened by the numbers..... Now it's entirely possible that the problem is with me, and not the movie. Before seeing "Der Untergang" I had seen "blindspot" and read "the fall of Berlin" by Anthony Beevor. So I pretty much knew of all the "shock" moments mentioned earlier in this thread. To no fault of the movie itself (it looked great, the actors did an amazing job! Everyone mentions Ganz as Hitler, but personally I felt the guy playing Goebbels was absolutely chilling....) most of the action taking place within the bunker left me rather cold. The one scene that really stuck with me though, was a morbid (almost funny) scene:
where the secretary walks through a hall filled with nazi officers, all of them discussing the best way to kill themselves

And I though the movie really got going after Hitler finally kill himself. The final half an hour was riveting, as the 'escape through the russian lines in Berlin' was a theme I knew little about.

So to sum up: A good movie.
Personally I agree with giving "The sea inside" the Oscar...

Oh, and you might be interested to know that "Der Untergang" was a major box-office hit in Norway. Over 250 000 people saw it in theaters. The latest Star Wars is the biggest hit of the year here, and had 'round 350 000.

Bryant Trew

Second Unit

Because this is a discussion forum, and it takes far less than 2.5 hrs to find out what other people thought of the film (and thus whether or not it makes sense to watch the rest of it). The feedback I have received has warranted my decision not to watch the rest - thus the benefit of spending ten minutes.

SteveJKo

Second Unit

I'm glad for you that you feel there are so many quality films constantly being released. I'm lucky to get excited about a dozen a year. I haven't been to the theater in months. So pardon the rest of us if we share our enthusiasm for this fine film with each other.

Louis Howard

Auditioning
Having always been a WWII/history buff I recently read Junge's book; she tells a very quiet story about a Hitler most would never conceive of. After hearing about this movie it's been one I've wanted to pick up as well.
While not a bad movie itself, I expect this to blow away the old HBO account of the last days, The Bunker, with Anthony Hopkins playing Hitler. That was supposed to see a DVD release earlier this year but for some unknown reason was pushed back.

Bryant Trew

Second Unit

Six magnificent new releases in a year is a big year for me, and I have no problem watching magnificent films over and over. I don't get anywhere near 12, and feel no compulsion to buy substantard films. Colour me contented for the most part, especially if I explore internatiational and independent film.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
In all the arguing about whether or not to see the movie, the various discs themselves, which ought to be the focus, have been forgotten.

I was really disappointed to find that the American release, from Sony, had non-removable, burnt-in subtitles. I got the disc on sale at Best Buy for 16.99, and with the $5 Reward Zone certificate I had, it was only 11.99, but still, it would be nice to be able to watch the film without the subs if you wanted. Otherwise, looks like a great disc.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

Yeah, I found an MP3 online. It's of Hitler talking with Mannerheim (Field Marshall of Finland during WW2) at his 75th birthday celebration in '42. It's pretty amazing to hear it as Hitler sounds very different. I'd like to hear an English translation. It's supposedly what Ganz used to study for the role.

I was also a little disappointed with the disc. I didn't like the burned in subtitles either and I wished for a few more extras, like trailers, etc.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
great movie ... thanks for the heads up on this one Ron :emoji_thumbsup:

there were times when it felt very "TV movie" like ... but overall very powerful. Bruno Ganz was a complete chameleon and it really felt like I was watching Hitler.

BTW, I am just watching "The American Friend" with Ganz ... a pretty good crime caper from the 70's.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
What are the specs of the Canadian DVD? I hear its a 2-disc set. Any one have any comments on it?

BTW, an amazing film. I rented it the other night and have watched it twice. Without a doubt, one of last years best films, and a remarkable performance by Ganz.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
So I finally saw the movie tonight. As people have said, I was amazed at the feeling of the movie. It does indeed feel very real. It does make some other war movies look like caricature. However I have 2 issues with the movie that I have to think about more. After halfway through the movie, I felt sympathy for the people in it, I had actually to remind myself and do a reality check! Don’t know if it was my fault or the director's!

Also my second problem with the movie was Hitler’s death. Don’t read if you don’t want to be spoiled. I have major major issues with the portrayal of his death. They didn’t show Eva Braun or his face after their suicide. It just felt like a respect to them. They did show other people’s faces after death but not them. Even if they didn’t want it to look like that, it just looks like respect or idealizing it to me.

I still have to think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks