DEQ2496 Help.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ainsworth_G, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Ainsworth_G

Ainsworth_G Auditioning

I recently replaced my BFD with the DEQ2496, mainly for cosmetic reasons, and I just have a few questions maybe you guys can help me with.

When you set up the BFD the first thing that you do is set the input level. Does anyone know how to do this with the DEQ2496? The Level Meter on the left barely registers any signal, unlike the BFD, which would sometimes be clipping with the same input. I know the voltage is different but...

Also, I want to use the PEQ on the 2496 right?

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

It may or may not have a switch like the BFD has.

I have two peices of Behringer gear, the BFD and a Ultrabass Pro. The UBP does not have any sort of toggle to select the correct input level. With that device, I simply had to drive it with as much signal as I could.

IIRC, there are interface boxes that will match pro gear with consumer stuff. Hopefully someone else will chime in, but I think you would be able to find such a device at a place that handles pro sound.

BGL

3. Ainsworth_G

Ainsworth_G Auditioning

Sorry for the confusion. It does have a voltage switch. +12v or +22v. I selected the 12v.

The thing I'm talking about is this: With the BFD you had you to hold the I/O button until it was flashing so that you were in Bypass mode. Then you had to set the receiver sub volume, by playing a bass heavy movie for instance, until the LEDs would go red or show that the sub was clipping.

With the DEQ, I'm unaware of how to do this. If someone knows how I would appreciate the help.

Thanks.

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

LOL!

I first thought that you were talking about the overall procedure, then I thought it must be that it lacks the requisite switch.

Well, can't help you there. It is quite possible that the DEQ does not have a seperate input/output level feature like the BFD. My UBP does not.

As such, you simply adjust the output of the pre/pro or AVR so that the input LED indicates that the input signal is at the appropriate level.

Hopefully a DEQ owner can confirm.

BGL

5. Ainsworth_G

Ainsworth_G Auditioning

Thanks Brian. With the UBP, your not worried that your overdriving the sub, or something like that.

What I mean is. If I have to turn the bass up on my receiver in order to get the requisite signal, that means I have to drive my sub harder than with the BFD, because it's already at BFD max level.

I'm not familiar with all these things but I'm assuming its more strain on the amp as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

6. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well, I don't think you need to worry about overdriving the sub. If you need to run the level up on your AVR or pre/pro (as we do with a BFD), you would simply dial it back at the sub amp to compensate.

I know that there is some concern that you don't want to run the sub level up too high on the pre/pro or AVR due to distortion concerns (I think it was Edward JM, the HTF resident sub expert suggests keeping it at about -5), but I can say that with the products I have used, I have never noticed any issue with that.

Again, without first hand experience with the DEQ I can only speculate, but I think the trick is to feed it with enough signal so that its operating correctly and has a good S/N ratio, and then adjust the sub amp to compensate for whatever you need to send to the EQ.

BGL

7. Ainsworth_G

Ainsworth_G Auditioning

OKay. So turning up the sub amp is not a bad thing then?

I don't know why but I always got this feeling that I should try to get the most out of the sub w/o turning it up too much.

I'll just do that then (turn up the gain). I appreciate your replys.

8. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well, in my case, since I had to boost the output of my AVR a tad to give the BFD a better signal to work with, I then found I actually had to drop the level on the sub amp a bit to compensate.

I suppose at the end of the day, its a zero sum kind of deal, so long as you are not boosting the signal at any point in the signal path to the point of distortion.

BGL

9. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

Hi Ainsworth,

If you want to get the best out of the DEQ you will need to up the level of the signal going into it, and yes the meter does show the input level, I mainly use the one on the LCD screen as it has peak reading so when I set the input levels I increase them until clipping occurs and then back it off, the amp is set a reference for this test, subs are muted of course. The closed I have ever listened to reference is -5 most of mine is between -20 & -15.

Now regarding the input level you do realise that as you increase the input level you need to attenuate the output, most plate amps don't have this type of attenuation available.

I am using a MX882 on both inputs & outputs and it does the job for me, there are a variety of other devices including DIY to do the same job.

Here is a post I did on the MX882 if you are interested.

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Thats a cool piece of kit there, Richard. I am continuously amazed at the stuff Behringer has, and how little it costs.

5 subs? And I though I was a bad-ass experimenting with 2!

Cheers,

BGL

11. Ainsworth_G

Ainsworth_G Auditioning

Hi Richard. Thanks for your response. I've been lurking these forums for awhile as well as the AVS and I always like to read your posts as their usually informative.

When you say you use the LCD, does the LCD show you that it clips. Does it say "Clip" for instance.

I'm sorry. I don't understand this as well.

Since you are familiar with the DEQ, could you give me a brief synopsis on how to set up the DEQ so that it's being used like the BFD, or could you point me to any materials/thread that might help?

12. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

Brian

Thanks for the kind words, and yes Behringer do have some good stuff, but according to the Pro crowd it is rubbish.

All I can say it does what I need it to do and you just gotta love those flashing lights [​IMG]

Ainsworth

Thanks for your kind words, flattery will get you every where :b

I am not at home at the moment, so it’s a little hard to help without having the unit in front of me, it has been at least 6+ months since I last played with the unit, so will have to do a quick refresher course. You also may find some good info over at AVS forum, by doing a search on the DEQ2496. I am one of these set and forget types, as I much more prefer to enjoy the fruits than continually fiddle.

Let me know how you go with finding any helpful information, I will also try and find some, if not I am sure I can reap havoc with your gear[​IMG]

13. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

quote:
    __________________________________________________ ________

Now regarding the input level you do realise that as you increase the input level you need to attenuate the output, most plate amps don't have this type of attenuation available.

Richard,

If we were to use amplifiers equipped with volume controls, won't that be the same as using that outboard attenuating box? [​IMG] Enlighten me, please!

Thanks... [​IMG]

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

14. MingL

MingL Stunt Coordinator

I'm using the DEQ as a BFD "upgrade".

There are 2 levels to use. +12dBu and +22dBu. Use the +12dBu for subwoofer EQ. DEQ's +12dBu is higher than BFD's -4dBu, so the DEQ has slightly more DSP headroom than the BFD. So the DEQ would be better off setting your amp's sub-out higher than what you would use with a BFD.

The snapbug's BFD guide is just as applicable to the DEQ. The only diff is the actual user interface of the DEQ itself and the signal levels (+12dBu would be better for us). Connect them up together with the appropriate XLR connectors. Set for +12dBu, take care that the DEQ does not clip with the input signal and you are ready to EQ. (The input levels will be slightly low (~-40 to -30dB) than what we are familiar with on BFD. We can ignore that, or if we are freakish, get a unbalanced-balanced converter with a slight gain to compensate.)

I use the PEQ for room mode suppression and the GEQ for setting a house curve. The memory feature of the DEQ make it easy to set various house curves for movies, aggressive bass, and musical house curves.

To answer ainsworth directly, there is a button that says meter. Press that button and the display screen will bring up a few pages of meter types. I recall correctly that there is a selection that allows the DEQ to display the signal-in level, signal-out level and amongst other stuff. The signal-in level is what you are looking for. Check it out.

15. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

Hi Frank,

If you are using a pro amp to drive your subs then these will allow for enough adjustment not to require any additional attenuation. As I mentioned above most if not all plate amps are designed for consumer line level input and don't have enough adjustment to drop the input level down to match the level of your speakers. Consumer gear operates at nom 1v and pro gear at nom 10v although there are variations on this depending on the application.

16. frank manrique

quote:

If you are using a pro amp to drive your subs then these will allow for enough adjustment not to require any additional attenuation. As I mentioned above most if not all plate amps are designed for consumer line level input and don't have enough adjustment to drop the input level down to match the level of your speakers. Consumer gear operates at nom 1v and pro gear at nom 10v although there are variations on this depending on the application.

Richard,

I only use separate components for the main HT system. That includes using a Samson Servo 2000, a pro amp, to drive the SVS 16-46 PC octet, though Crown K-1s or K-2s is what am lusting after (all of these amps have volume control facilities, that's why I posed that question), while consumer-type amps power the rest of the speakers.
    Am currently using a Lexicon DC-1 Version 4.0, which was retrofitted with chips to handle Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES signals, so that might present a problem. What do you think?...

-THTS

17. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

Frank

It is my belief that you will be using the DCX2496, for your subs only, if this is the case then the Samson & Crowns will work fine as they are pro amps.

Re the Lexicon I am guessing that this drives your speakers, this is what will be providing the LFE signal input of the DCX, you will have to up the LFE level in the bass management setting of the Lexicon. I.e. if currently it is set at say -3 you will need to set it to say +9.

18. frank manrique

quote:

It is my belief that you will be using the DCX2496, for your subs only, if this is the case then the Samson & Crowns will work fine as they are pro amps.

Richard,

That is correct... [​IMG]

quote:

Re the Lexicon I am guessing that this drives your speakers, this is what will be providing the LFE signal input of the DCX, you will have to up the LFE level in the bass management setting of the Lexicon. I.e. if currently it is set at say -3 you will need to set it to say +9.

Yes...the Lexi pre/pro provides the output signals that drive all of the amps that powers the main and all surround speakers, as well as providing the LFE output.

I basically understand what I need to do to set up the DCX once is acquired, but don't be surprised if I ask for help when I get stuck! Thanks for the info, my friend... [​IMG]

-THTS

19. Ainsworth_G

Ainsworth_G Auditioning

Thanks Richard and Frank. I think I got it now. Like Richard said i'll have to go from -3 to + 9 in order to get the desired effect. I wasn't sure this was okay.

Frank. One thing. You say that you use the PEQ and the GEQ? how so? I've used the PEQ to suppress the room nodes like yourself, now how do I use that same setting to get the house curve I would like?

20. frank manrique

quote:

Frank. One thing. You say that you use the PEQ and the GEQ? how so? I've used the PEQ to suppress the room nodes like yourself, now how do I use that same setting to get the house curve I would like?

My friend...I don't use either because I don't have them. I only have a "FBD" unit which hasn't even been put to use since I received it, although is on the equipment rack (is up for sale, btw).

I've never EQ'd my audio systems before, but is been a long time coming particularly now that am intending to integrate that many subwoofers...thus the need for something suitable to do it with just like the gear Richard suggests...

Cheers! [​IMG]

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an DVD bassaholic..."