What's new

Depreciation on used speakers? (1 Viewer)

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
What is the depreciation on good used speakers these days?
I've got a Boston Acoustics VR-12 Center Channel (VR12 Lynnfield, Dual 6.5" full-range, 4.5" midrange, 1" tweeter, 250 watts) that's in perfect condition (not even any noticable scratches) that I paid $400 for 18 months ago. I'm moving into a new house this coming weekend and have decided that I really want to replace this speaker with the newer B.A. VR-MC in cherry to match my set of four VR-M50s. My dealer says that he can't offer me a trade in on the VR-12 since it's been discontinuted. I need to sell it to offset that $600 cost of the VR-MC. :frowning:
I'm wondering what would be a fair price to ask for a used VR-12? Is there any online pricing guides for used speakers? Or anything like that?
Thanks for any suggestions or guidance.

ken thompson

Second Unit
Probably about $150ish. You should consider taking a stab at veneering that sucker with something that matches the VR50s

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Go to www.audiogon.com and run a search under "Boston." There are a few BA speakers there, but not that specific one. However, you can compare what the prices are against MSRP on the ones that are there, and extrapolate.
Rule of thumb. Speakers lose about 50% of their MSRP value at about the 1 year point, assuming they are nearly pristine (more if the condition is worse). At 6 mos, you might get 70% of MSRP. Beyond a year, the depreciation is more than 50%, but it slows quite a bit. Remember, this depreciation is off the MSRP, NOT what you paid originally.
Discontinuation of an item can be a negative or a positive, depending on the buyer. If someone has older front mains that only match the discontinued center for example, it would be a definite plus since it is hard to find elsewhere. Bottom line is whatever the market will bear. If it is near mint, you might ask $225 "OBO" and take $200 or $175 for it.

ling_w

Second Unit
I think the depreciation of a speaker is based on the avg street price of a speaker. Most speakers probably goes for 60-70% of the street if they are reasonably new and are still the current model. So a brand that has a tight dealership control would probably sell their speaker at full price, while those brands that are carried by every net vendor and are heavily discounted would go for pretty cheap in the used market.

Once a speaker is discontinued, it will be up in the air, since nobody knows what those heavy discounters originally sold them for, but they will probably sell the new models at heavy discount also.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Pat, there is a blue book on speakers just like on used cars. If you email me, I will provide you with the name of someone who has the bluebook. Don't be surprised if the wholesale value is disappointing.

ling_w

Second Unit
The blue book value seems to be completely off base. I wish I could have bought even one of my component at anywhere near the blue book value.

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
Watch out for those blue book values, there is a net.freak on the usenet newsgroups who constantly rants and raves at people for asking for prices above the ridiculously low values he quotes from some blue book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks