What's new

Depeche Mode - Playing The Angel SACD - 5.1? (1 Viewer)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Black Celebration and Ultra are my favorite albums. I'm kind of sick of the "big 3" from Violator and usually skip over them if I happen to be listening to a CD with 'em. I feel the same way about People Are People. Though Personal Jesus is great live when you have 10,000+ people singing the lines.

This will be my 4th time seeing them. I saw them in St. Louis with Faith and Devotion. By far my favorite since they played the most pre-Violator material.

#2 was in Orlando for the "Singles" tour. That was probably the biggest crowd since it was in the Magic basketball arena. And then #3 was Exciter in Atlanta. I had great seats for that one, paid almost $100 a ticket and was in the 8th row. My tickets aren't nearly as good for this show, but the arena is only a couple of miles from my house.

I need to take the CD downstairs and listen on my Swans. I'm just got it on a crappy old box system in my home office.

DavidKNML

Agent
My personal favorites are Track 1,2,4,5,& 7. My least favorite is 12. The rest is good. Surprising to me is the songs Martin sings are just good.

I've seen DM 7 or 8 times.

Black Celebration Tour
Music for the Masses 1st time through and the amazing Rose Bowl show.
Violator Both nights at Dodger Stadium.
Songs of Faith and Devotion tour
KROQ Almost Acoustic xmas show and the Singles tour.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
one of my regrets as well. they're probably my second favorite band, yet i've never seen them live. my only recourse is that (i hear anyway) that they kinda suck live. and i've never really been impressed with their live recordings. i did rent their concert dvd though. ;)

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Arman, you might want to check your ticket again. You might end up at a hockey game or something if you go to Phillips. The Mode show in Atlanta is at Gwinnett Arena in Duluth, not Phillips. It's about 2 miles from my house across the street from the Grocery store we shop at. Come up I-85 and get off at Sugarloaf Parkway.

I bought my tix at a "presale" but still didn't get seats on the floor. Maybe because I was buying 3, I don't know. My seats are facing the stage head-on but across the arena in the lower bowl.

I like New Order but have never been a huge fan. I never got around to buying their last CD though I heard it was really good. Erasure is who I'd really love to see live but I don't think they've done a "coast-to-coast" type tour of the US in many years.

My U2 concert experience was pretty bad too. The Zoo TV tour at Busch Stadium in St. Louis. The sound was horrible, everyone stood and my girlfriend (now wife) is short and couldn't see so she complained the whole time, and we had a bunch of drugged out types around us who were wildly dancing and bumping into us so I could never relax and just get into the show. It was so bad we ended up skipping the encores to beat the traffic.

On the flip side and completely unrelated, we had gotten tix to James Taylor in Columbia, MO (where I went to college) because, well what else is there to do in Columbia MO? But decided we really didn't want to go. I tried to sell the tix for anything I could get before the show but there were no takers so we ended up going and it turned out to be an excellent concert.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
okay, it woulda been kinda funny (for at least a few minutes) if i found out that arman went to the wrong place. good job brook!

i remember the u2 zoo tv tour ... i found it kinda silly ... especially after the joshua tree tour. if i wanted to watch mtv, i woulda stayed at home. ;)

ps ... don't feel bad arman. my buddy and i went to see bananarama (hey ... it was the 80's) when they were in concert. as we drove to the place (universal ampitheater i think) we didn't see any traffic anywhere near the place. we got that "sinking feeling", decided to double-check our tickets, and realized the concert was the day before! doh!

Leo

Second Unit
I too will be at the Gwinnett Arena Nov 5th for this concert. Should be fun - old man reliving his fleeting youth (grew up listening to them and KROQ in LA back in the 80's while in high school/college). Fond memories - broke, but still enjoyed my music.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I got tickets today for the Arrowhead Pond concert. It was sold out so I had to get them from Ebay for about $10 more.

~T

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
How was the concert, guys?

Here is the setlist for their first concert in St. Petersburg:

Intro
A Pain That I'm Used To
John The Revelator
A Question Of Time
Policy Of Truth
Precious
Walking In My Shoes
Suffer Well
Damaged People
Home
I Want It All
The Sinner In Me
I Feel You
Behind The Wheel
World In My Eyes
Personal Jesus
Enjoy The Silence

Encores:
Somebody
Just Can't Get Enough
Everything Counts

Never Let Me Down Again
Goodnight Lovers

~T

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that's the same list they played in Atlanta.

I thought the show was great, better than the last 2. They didn't play too much stuff off the new album, and one they did play "Damaged People", I liked much better after hearing it live.

Home has been tweaked a bit and sounded fabulous. The 1st encore was awesome, all old tunes - I went nuts to "Just Can't Get Enough" and "Everything Counts" back to back.

They have a very strong lighting and video package too. There are 6 video screens arranged at odd angles that show the concert and cool art, animation, photography stuff.

Even though the arena is close to my house I'd never been there before, so I was impressed that we could get there 1/2 an hour late (we skipped the opening act) and still get a decent parking spot, AND didn't have to wait a week to get out of the parking lot after the show.

Arman

Screenwriter
What Brook said. They have now such a deep catalog of songs that it's inevitable they will not be able to sing all their popular stuffs e.g People are People, Strangelove and Blaphemous Rumours and I've noticed pitch problem in singing the low notes in Precious (thought the other tune problem when they have to restart is deliberate - as if to show off to us that they are really doing it LIVE!!! ;)), however still
To me, it's way up there, one of the most enjoyable and best concerts I've attended (my legs and feet are now in pain from too much NU wave dancing and long driving) - they sang all songs in their new album that I expected/wanted them to. Even the high-tech set is awesome looking. I thought somebody is coming out when they dropped the Playing The Angel curtain. Yeah, unlke most gigs or any similar events like this, it took us just few minutes to get back to I-75 after the show. Too bad we did'nt win that ticket upgrade in that contest by FM 99x (sux!) outside the arena. Maybe it's that game why my legs and feet are hurting! :D

Brook,

What shirt did you buy? I bought the one with Playing The Angel at the back and $10 DM PTA poster (am now bargain hunting a contemporary looking frame). I also wanted the yellow shirt with Master + Servant design but it is too big for me.

We were there quite early that we were able to drive around and check the area. Duluth/Lawrenceville area is pretty neat - esp. that scenic stretch in Sugarloaf Pkwy (could'nt find Barnes & Noble/Borders or Best Buy though near around the arena). [Any city with Mamam Fu's restaurant is cool! It is like besides the parking lot of the arena] I love the JD Model Raceways in Discover Mills - never seen anything like it anywhere.

The front act [The Bravery] is not that bad - we felt lot more vibrations in our seats (Section 116) during their show.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
We were in Section 100. I can't imagine more vibrations. I could feel the bass right through my chest. It was not a show for anyone with a pacemaker. It's strange how your body adjust to loud noise like that.

Man, I missed the thong. I wish they had sold the Trojan sock cap thing that Gore was wearing. :D

I haven't bought a shirt since the 1st show I went to. I'm just not going to pay $35 for a t-shirt. My favorite was the yellow Master and Servant shirt.

Best Buy is right off the Pleasant Hill Rd. exit. (3 exits before Sugarloaf Pkwy) B&N is also at that exit, down the street aways. There was a Borders at the Steve Reynolds exit (the exit before Pleasant Hill) but it closed a year or so ago. There may be one further up 85 in the Mall of Georgia area, but I can't remember.

The AMC Theater at Discover Mills is where I go for wide-release type movies. We were there yesterday for Good Night and Good Luck.

Glad you had a good time up here.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I've had a Hsu sub for awhile now. It would knock my posters frames off the wall if I let it. But being married with children, it rarely ever gets to flex its muscles.

We forgot to mention the funny thing that happened at the end of the concert when Gahan did a little flurry with the mic at the end of his last song and hit Gore in the head. "I've just killed Martin" :D

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I was at the Atlanta show (section 106...awesome seats) and I bought 3 shirts. The one I really wanted was the green stripey one with the band on front, but unfortunately, they don't make many of those shirts for ladies with bigger chests.

That show kicked A$$!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks