What's new

Depeche Mode - Devotional DVD (1 Viewer)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
I just saw this new DVD concert release listed on amazon. Its from their 93-94 Devotional tour. Anyone pick this up yet?

AricB

Second Unit
no, but not for lack of trying, both CC and BB didnt have it this week when i went. going to another one tonight. If you havent' seen this performance on another format, it's the best live performance in my opinion. i own it on vhs and LD. if i remember the vocals sounded better on devotional than one night in paris, possibly daves age? or all the drugs and alcohol back then? but the stage show was outstanding, saw itt live 4 times on that tour.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I picked this up last Friday at a small DVD store in my area. Thought it sounded pretty good in 5.1, but there seems to be a slight sync issue between the audio and video for both the PCM and 5.1 tracks. Were the VHS and LD like this as well?

AricB

Second Unit
which store? I'm not too far from you, your in Joliet, is that right? or are you closer to where I work in LaGrange? I cant remember where you said before.

Not that I recall, but my LD players been down for a bit, so its been a while since i watched it. I heard it was NOT anamorphic, is that right? how did the picture look?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Aric,

The store I go to is in Westmont. I live in Lisle actually. The store is in a strip mall on Ogden Ave. They're really good about getting catalog titles and concerts in for release day. To my knowledge they don't deal in hirez audio. Also, their standard deal is 20% off list, so they're a little more expensive than going to Best Buy, but I find their service worth it. I bought one of two copies they had on the shelf at the time, so I don't know if that was all they had or not. PM me if you want more info on the store.

As far as the disc, it is non-anamorphic. It almost looks like it's 1.66:1. I watched it on my 4x3 set, but it looked pretty clear to me. I never thought to myself "this looks 11 years old".

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Havent had the change to see this one on vhs of ld before, so, based on that comment I may have to get it for the performance alone. I did however get to see them on the tour that brought us the one night in paris dvd and actually thought they sounded better live than on the dvd performance.

AricB

Second Unit
Philip, I agree, live was better than the dvd, his voice didnt sound that great on ONIP. The overall stage production was just much bigger and more elaborate, and they just rocked a little more on devotional(again probably all the alcohol and drugs back then). This was the first tour I think that featured a live drummer and a little more guitar, than previous tours/albums. I also saw the singles tour 98ish and exciter maybe 01-2? I think I've seen them 7 times, Devotional is my favorite.

AricB

Second Unit
I picked this up over the weekend. Aside from not being anamorphic, I think this is a well done dvd. I'm glad its finally out, as it is my favorite. I wish they would have included the 2 extra songs as part of the actual concert, as Halo is one of my favorites. But the show looks good(good video quality, bright vibrant colors), i did notice some slight audio sync issues, but they are minor, and you really need to watch the singers mouth to pick up on it. I havent got to the extras disc, but I rarely watch all that stuff anyways.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Glad to hear you got your hands on it. I've been a fan of DM for about 7 years. Believe it or not, Ultra got me interested in them. I then got MftM, Violator and SOFAD, and loved all of them. The funny thing is, I always thought of SOFAD as a "lesser" album compared to MftM and Violator. I generally considered Violator my favorite. But watching this DVD, I realized I loved just about every song on it, and then I realized 8 of the 10 songs were from SOFAD (felt like a duh! moment). I've now been listening to SOFAD profusely. So nice to rediscover an album you already have. "Rush" and "In Your Room" are easily two of my all-time favorite DM songs.

On a related topic, did David Gahan actually leave DM? I was looking up his solo record on CDUniverse's website, and it said "former DM vocalist". I know Exciter is a few years old, but I thought there was still the possibility of another record.

AricB

Second Unit
As far as I know, he didnt leave. He did a solo album, and Martin Gore did a solo album too. As far as I know there is still a possibility of future albums. I got into them before SOFAD, but a while after Violator had died down. SOFAD is not one of my favorites by them, but I loved the show so much that I really like it, due to the outstanding performance. Violator, MftM, Ultra, and even exciter is pretty good. I dont find the really old material to hold up to repeat listenings as much, but I do listen to it hear and there. 101 is a solid set if you like the older material, I havent yet picked up the dvd, but I got the sacd of it. I've heard good things about Martin Gore's solo disc, i think its called counterfeit?

AricB

Second Unit
March 5th, 2004 - DAVE COMMENTS ON THE FUTURE OF DM

In video featured on Dave's solo web site, Dave makes comments on the band's future:
"I'm writing right now. I know Martin is writing as well. Hopefully we'll get together later in the year, to talk about what we're gonna do next. Hopefully that will be a Depeche thing. We'll have to wait and see what happens, so we'll keep you posted."

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Cool-thanks for the info.

I think Martin's solo record was Counterfeit2. I checked clips from that and David's solo record, but with their stuff it's so hard to tell from 30 second clips. I'll probably just pick them up next time I see them in a store.

I'm the same way with DM's older stuff. I have Black Celebration and like it, but to me it's not on the same level as the later stuff. Sort of like a transition between the old DM and the MftM DM.

AricB

Second Unit
yeah, I'd go with Catching up with DM, or the 81/9? singles, for the early stuff. every once and a while I need my just cant get enough fix, and blashpemous rumors too.

your right counterfeit 2, there is a counterfeit, but it came out like 10 years ago, dont know if it OOP? I believ its all or mostly covers... I'll likely grab them at some point, too.

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
I sold my Laserdisc (you know the 12" disc!) version for over 6 years ago. I thought we saw an DVD version early - nope that didn't happend! :D

I have Martin's Counterfeit2 and have heard Counterfeit1 few times, and I also got Paper Mosnter from David.

AricB -> about the March 5 thing.. it could be just zround the corner now! :)

AricB

Second Unit
Jesper what do you think of the martin gore stuff?
i have the LD version still, but my player is sketchy.

could be. Sure would be good to hear some info about going into the studio.

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
I like the Martin Gore stuff alot more than Davids. Counterfeit2 is really great! The songs are easy to listning too and the music are the only Martin can do it - it's hard to explain but I am sure if you like DM then Martin's solo album should be no different!

DavidKNML

Agent
I'm a huge DM fan. I first seen them live in 86 during the Black Celebration tour at the Forum in Inglewood CA. I've also seen them during the Music for the Masses tour 3 times 2 times at the Forum and the Rose Bowl Show. Then both nights at Dodger Stadium from the floor for Violator, once on the Devotional tour, and twice during the Greatest Hits tour they played the KROQ accoustic xmas show and then headlined a week later.

I have all the tour guides and still have my Black Celebration tour T-shirt.

On Friday I picked up the 2 disk 101 DVD and the Dave Gahan Paper Monsters DVD. I haven't watched them yet though. 101 will always be my favorite since I was there. Has anybody seen these yet?

I haven't been able to find the Devotional DVD either. I'll get it soon though.

BTW: Counterfeit2 is all cover songs. Just like Counterfeit.

PPS: Sorry to ramble on. None of my friends are fans like I am.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Ditto here. I can't even mention there name without getting an odd look from them. Oh well, their loss.
I have to say personally, Violater is my favorite with MftM and Ultra coming in a close 2nd, but I'll always have a soft spot for CTA as it was the album that peaked my interest in the band initially way back when. So when I saw that Everything Counts is included on this DVD, I knew I would probably have to get it on that merit alone.

AricB

Second Unit
Devotional, was at BB, but they hadnt put it out yet on friday, they went in back to get mine. I've seen 101, but not on dvd, i intend to buy it, i bought it for my ex girlfriend for xmas, but then we split, so now i have to buy it formyself. saw some of paper monsters on a directv free view special, but i dont recall too much of it.

dont feel too bad, I dont know many of my friends that are like me either, I've seen the devotional tour 4 times, the singles tour twice(once front row) and the exciter tour. I do have one friend, she's seen them more than me, and i think even went to england and germany to see them?

DavidKNML

Agent
I used to have all of the colored 12" singles from Germany & England. I replaced them when they were released on CD. I should have kept them though.

The coolest thing I have from them is pictures from the infamous Beverly Center Riot. A old friend worked security and took a bunch of pictures with them before all of the troubles happened. He gave me a set of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks