What's new

Depatie-Freleng’s 1966 animated “The Super 6” DVD (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I found this in a "Family Favorites" bin in a Walmart this weekend (after checking a few other Walmarts where it was absent). Good show and my children like it. Great opening song by Gary Lewis (). One thing I like about cartoon shows of this vintage is how the voice actors would fall back on celebrity voice impersonations to create characters. The voice of one of the Super 6, Super Boing, seems to be based on a young Jimmy Stewart. The villain in one episode, who is described as "enemy of everything good and decent," sounds like James Cagney in full "you dirty rat" mode. In Underdog, I always thought that Simon Bar Sinister was based on Lionel Barrymore, and I recall thinking that the leader of an alien planet sounded a lot like Charles Laughton (imagine Laughton saying, "We have the most delicious rocks in the universe," and you'll get where I am coming from). $5 for the complete series on two disks -- what a deal -- I want more!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
JoeDoakes said:
My understanding was that Fox was handling all of MGM's licensing and distribution.
At one point they were, which with Fox being Fox, it meant that absolutely nothing was being done with all of the MGM shows. Since MGM is in perpetual financial trouble, I assume that what happened was someone finally looked at the distribution deal with Fox and saw how they had no shows being licensed and no revenue coming it. Finally they must have said, screw this, we need to make some money and they decided to start doing it on their own. If Fox were still handling their shows, none of this would be happening.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
You are probably right about this since the Fox name was on all the early MGM releases that they did but The Fox name is nowhere to be found on all these recent MGM releases from TGG and Timeless only MGM. I'm sure Fox would insisit on their name on the product as well if it was coming from them.

Neil Brock said:
At one point they were, which with Fox being Fox, it meant that absolutely nothing was being done with all of the MGM shows. Since MGM is in perpetual financial trouble, I assume that what happened was someone finally looked at the distribution deal with Fox and saw how they had no shows being licensed and no revenue coming it. Finally they must have said, screw this, we need to make some money and they decided to start doing it on their own. If Fox were still handling their shows, none of this would be happening.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Randy Korstick said:
You are probably right about this since the Fox name was on all the early MGM releases that they did but The Fox name is nowhere to be found on all these recent MGM releases from TGG and Timeless only MGM. I'm sure Fox would insisit on their name on the product as well if it was coming from them.
Lower back cover says:

C 2013 Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. Distributed by TGG Direct, LLC under license from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment LLC and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX, FOX and associated logos are trademarks of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation and its related entities.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks