What's new

DePalmas Black Dahlia (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Looks interesting, I have wondered for years why no one had tried to make this dark mystery into a film.....and now it is DePalma doing it.....I'll go see it (although it, of course, won't answer any questions about the real case).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm looking forward to this as well. It's based on a James Elroy book (LA Confidential) with the subject matter being very close to the authors heart. And while I haven't cared too much for DePalma lately, his touch could make this interesting.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I agree about DePalma's track record lately, but this seems right down his dark ugly alley so it could be pretty good.....or it could suck bad...pretty much Mr. D's batting average as of late (....if "late" can be described as a decade or so ;) ).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As Russell said, this is material that De Palma can nail. It's such a great book that I hope it's done right. Plus, I'm rooting for De Palma to make a 'comeback'.

I think they've already shown more of Elizabeth Short in the trailer than her appearances in the entire book.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I dont know, Im one of the few who actually liked Bonfire and I think Snake Eyes is underrated although it has a very weak ending. Mission Impossible is solid and Femme Fatale is ok.

I love Carlitos Way.

Im looking foward to this (although its horrible what happened to that girl)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
It does look interesting. Like some of you, I'm a fan of most of DePalma's stuff. Worth a look for sure. :)

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
I'm plenty intrigued. Loved the book, and think De Palma could really riff on it; obsession squared. Cast is good too, although Josh Hartnett just never does much for me. Anyone see 'Wicker Park'? I heard pretty good things about him in that.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Looks great. I'm a fan of DePalma's early work, and absolutely love Elroy. Can't wait until the release.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Give DePalma a great script, and he'll put on a great show. Hopefully this script is up to snuff (writer Josh Friedman has written only 2 other movies, War of the Worlds and Chain Reaction). I love the "largeness" of DePalma's compositions. (FYI this was shot in scope, even thought the trailer looks like 1.85:1)

Regards,
Nathan

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H

Thanks, didn't realize that was a remake (of course). Original has Vincent Cassel & Monica Bellucci? I'm there, at least when a R1 DVD is available.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Don't hold your breath. There are some pretty inexpensive region-free DVD players out there.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

Exactly -- I don't think that bad DePalma movies come from anything except an inability to identify and choose a good script. He's very much into moods and emotions, and even in his worst, most terrible films (and let's face it, some of his work is so bad that it's ridiculous), you can see the big emotional moments that probably attracted him to the script in the first place.

I like Blow Out a lot, but parts of it are downright idiotic if you spend more than a second thinking about them. I saw Raising Cain while jetlagged and having been awake for nearly 40 hours straight and thought it was positively masterful. Saw it again on a full night's sleep and realized it's dumb as a bag of cats. The emotion was still there, but the complete lack of logic or believability just torpedoed it for me.

And yet, I consider myself a DePalma fan. Still, there are some of his movies that I haven't worked up the guts to see.

I hold high hopes for this one. It comes from really solid source material.

Colton

Supporting Actor
I'm very anxious to see this movie - although I already know the ending has changed quite abit from the book. I've studied the Black Dahlia for many years. Read all the newspaper articles and case files. I used to have nightmares of what happened to Elizabeth Short.

Love James Ellroy and DePalma ("The Phantom of the Paradise").

- Colton

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Might be interesting but I have to admit I'm having trouble seeing Harnett as Bucky. Just a little too young, I think.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Looks great, this fall is easily shaping up to be a wonderful time for the mystery/thriller genre, with the following films coming out:

The Wicker Man
The Prestige
Children of Men
The Fountain (possibly November)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
ok, you guys haven't mentioned the fact that scarlet is in this. =). she's the ONLY reason i'm seeing this.

Users who are viewing this thread