deonon ARV-5803 from e-tailer ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by skip_o, Feb 16, 2003.

1. skip_o

skip_o Auditioning

I’m in the final thought process of purchasing an AVR-5803. Notice the word “thought”. When the bug first hit it was centered on the 4802 because of the $4200.00 retail cost of the 5803. But there are other alternatives. As most that have looked into purchasing or own a Denon product know, Denon will not honor a warranty if the unit is not bought from an authorized dealer. In this case “authorized” means retail price. So I started looking at E-tailers. There are a few that are authorized dealers on the net (Crutchfield for one) that sell but at retail price. On the unauthorized side there is BuyDig.com and Etronics.com that stand out as the best and most reliable choices. Both Epinions and Bizrate feedbacks have them listed about the same with BuyDig maybe having a little better feedback from customers. Both were up front and honest about the issue of not being an authorized dealer of Denon products when called. Both offer extended warranties. Etronics offers a 3 year warranty (from date of purchase) through Phillips for $65.00. This sounded too good so I called Phillips and they verified that they do offer the warranty. BuyDig offers an extended 3 year from date of purchase warranty from Mack for $99.00. This also was verified. So the deal is I can get an AVR-5803 for around $3100.00 total with a warranty. I’m just throwing this out here for comments. And would like to hear from anyone who went this route.

2. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

I have purchased subs,amps,speakers online through yahoo and I like it better than B&M.Saving money is a big part, but I have actually had better service.For 10% more b&m is ok,not 25% or more.

3. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Check your pm

4. Dave Elliott

Dave Elliott Stunt Coordinator

I got my 3803 via Etronics and splurged for the $50 Philips extended warranty, just in case I needed it.

I'm very happy with Etronics. The unit shipped right away, I got the tracking number, and it arrived new & unopened and safely double boxed.

Compare ~$930 shipped to the $1199 + tax ($1280) I would have had to spend at my local "MSRP ONLY" dealers.
    And I now have a longer warranty than I would have gotten from them.

-Dave