What's new

Dentyne Fire Commerical (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I was just thinking. I saw that commerical because I was watching regular tv. Normally I watch stuff recorded on my ReplayTV (with commercial skip) and DVD's (without commercials) so I am not used to seeing the progression of sex in commercials the past year or so.

Or maybe it was because of the age of the girl. It's probably beacause I'm getting older and found the teenage sex thing to be a bit "offensive".

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Opie and Anthony were discussing this
commercial last week.

Seems that one of the big parental
organizations is going after the makers
of that commercial.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Is that the one where the teenage daughter makes out with her boyfriend in front of her parents?

I didn't find it offensive at all.

I found it to be pretty funny, especially the parent's reaction.

If she was making out with a much older man, I could see how someone could be offended. But since the boy seemed to be the same age as her, I had no problem with it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Normally this stuff doesn't bother me at all. There was just something that didn't sit well with me. No biggie. I'm not out to protest, I did find it somewhat amusing...it's just that I was a bit taken back when I saw it.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I think I get what Mark is saying. I heard Opie and Anthony talking about the commercial as well and ahthough I did not find it as bad as I imagined it during that discussion, there is something that seems to be a bit blunt about that commercial. Many advertisements use the notion of sex to sell their product, but usually the message it is a bit more subtle (sex being alluded to but kept vague, or the use of alternate images that suggest sex) and might pass through the radar of a child, say. Or the sexuality is shown to be on the side of romance (diamond commercials come to mind). Or, like in beer commercials, the message is, use this product and you can party with hot chicks.

In the Dentine ad the sexuality appeared to be lustful and overt. Also, you have the shirt being thrown off as well which only adds to it and the fact that it is being done on front of the parents may seem a bit inapporpriate to some.

I'm not one who gets offended by these things either, but I do admit that I lean a bit more toward the conservative side when it comes to sex in the media. I think that there are times when it makes sense as part of a story, and for specific types of programming but I think there are venues where sex is used rather wantonly target younger viewers. I find that can be irresponsible.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agree. Again, I'm not here to start a crusade to get this commercial off the air, but I don't think it was exactly appropriate for a commercial.

I mean, at least shows (with 'innapropriate' content) have warnings before the shows starts (i.e. "Viewer Discretion is Advised"). How are commercials allowed to get away with that without a sexual warning?

I guess it just hit a bad nerve with me and (while I don't have a real problem with it myself), I just don't feel it should be appropriate for 'every' TV viewer and can understand people who do find it inappropriate.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
It was over the top imo. They had to know they were going to run into some trouble by making that.

Personally I don't mind seeing it but for some reason if I was in a room full of my friends & their wives and the commercial came on I'd have the urge to change it. I don't have kids so I'll let the parents make their own judgement.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
LOL Funny Funny Stuff....:D :D :D

The only thing offensive here is that the gum won't do that to a person.... (damn the luck)

The teenage couple were just "making out" sure it could have led to something more but the commercial did not show that. It was left up to your "dirty little" mind to think that they would have gone all the way. When in fact the two actors probably got up after the shoot and walked their separate ways.

I think its easier to blame a stupid (but funny) gum commercial than take the responsibility to sit down and talk to your child/teenager about things such as sex. Think back when you were 16... more than likely the only thing on your mind was girls (or boys). If our youth are not educated by their parents and allowed to run around making poor choices we will always have problems. Sex isn't bad unless the person makes bad choices regarding sex.

I use terms like "Your" and "You" very generally and am not pointing fingers at any one person. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that.

Bring on more commercials that make me laugh.... after all thats all they are good for ;)

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
In front of their parents which makes it look like it shouldn't be a big deal when kids shouldn't be doing any kind of crap like that in the first place. Then they have the stupidity to show the parents in heat in front of the kids. I kiss my wife in front of my kids but come on...

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams

You sir, have been chewing the wrong gum! I get in situations like that all the time with Dentyne Ice, the Artic Chill one. :) But, I've tried freezing people with my breath, but it dont quite work. :frowning:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It has nothing to do with that. It's more of what is considered "appropriate" for a TV commercial.

TV commercials have to adhere to a certain set of standards since it is not like a movie (or tv show) where you can give it an "inappropriate for younger viewers" rating (or warning).

todd s

Senior HTF Member
How about the warming ky jelly commercial. Where the husband is reading the paper until the wife takes out the jelly. :D

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor

Sounds like whats "appropriate" to you and your children is different that what is "appropriate" to me and my child (3 years old) who I have and will continue to have a very open relationship. Doing this he will be able to make good choices about things like sex, drugs and rock-n-roll and not be afraid to talk to me and my wife about such matters. He will be able to see the humor in a commercial such as this one and have the skills choose not to heavily make out with his girlfriend in front of his parents because he saw it on a "commercial".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks