Denon's upcoming new prepro

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardMA, Sep 11, 2002.

1. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Some info from Denon (AVS Forum).

The pre/pro we are working on presently will be higher in price than the 5803, because it will not be a 5803 without amps.

We have been asking for such a product you mentioned, however none has come yet.

(I asked about a prepro that would cost about 2/3 the
    price of the 5803 and would essentially be a 5803 without
    power amplification) R.A.

Regards,

2. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Hey Richard, put me down for one of the pre/pro's you want designed. I mean, a Denon 5803 minus amps sounds good to me.
    I think Denon is missing the boat on this one. The world doesn't need another mega-bucks pre/pro. I need a pre/pro to compete against the likes of the Rotel 1066 or the Outlaw 950, price and feature-wise. I guess I'll just have to see what Atlantic Technology's P-2000 is all about.

3. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

I owned the AVP8000 which was a good unit, but dated now.
    Denon also made a very inexpensive DD preamp called
    (I think) the AVP2000 and by all accounts it was about
    the best reasonably priced standalone DD processor going.
    They sell used when they come up for about the same
    as new.
    They really should consider a sub-$2000 preamp.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

To undercut the 5803 in price would not be the business decision Denon wants to make.
    Like it or not the industry revolves around the convenience of receivers. Pre/pros need to maintain the image (and pricing) of being "high-end"...A $2000 5803 minus amps would be awesome but it would crumble the house of cards that is the audio industry.

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

The Atlantic Technology's pre-amp is a slightly modified Outlaw Model 950.

I too wish Denon's pre-amp could be less than their overly priced, non-upgradeable 5803 receiver.

It would definitely cost less to make than the 5803 even with some modifications for better power supplies, shielding, upgradeability, etc.

Dan

6. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Just what everyone is looking for, a RDC-7 clone.

7. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Compare Rotel's latest receiver with the RSP-1066.
    No amps, costs less, same preamp internals, more or less. Why can't Denon do the same? Honestly, I can do without
    the 1/2" front plate and the copper plated internal
    steel.

8. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

"1/2" front plate and the copper plated internal
    steel."
    Toolman Taylor would say, uuurrrggghhh.

The new Denon pre/pro will hopefully be a 5803 on STEROIDS.........

I heard Denon will be producing two pre/pros, first the all out version, later a more "domesticated" version.

Regards,
    geo

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Denon sounds to be missing the boat again. I bypassed the AVP-8000 for the Marantz AV9000. The Denon's price was stratospheric, about twice the 9000's. The Denon came with a POS remote and the Marantz came with a RC-2000 style remote. I want a new pre but I don't want to spend more than about $2000. Why won't these companies serve this market segment? I will never buy a reciever unless it's for my bedroom TV, period. Denon should offer a reasonably priced pre. For that matter Pioneer should too. If a pre of the VSX-49 existed, I'd already have one. Seven channels of amps in a box with a head-end is a bad idea, IMO. Go ahead blow it Denon!

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Heck, I'd take a 4803 minus the amps for what the price of the 3803 will be...
    Put my vote in too that Denon is missing the boat.
    There is another thread that Denon will do a more expesnive *and* a less expensive universal player. Why not do a "stratospherically" priced pre/pro to make everyone salivate for what they *can't* have, but then a more reasonably priced one too?
    The presence of the 950 and the 1066 surely hasn't collapsed the audio industry yet! [​IMG]

11. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

"The presence of the 950 and the 1066 surely hasn't collapsed the audio industry yet!"
    Yeah but these two suffer the same problem - ie. limited distribution, in the case of the 950, VERY LIMITED [​IMG]
    I can wander down to any store and buy an Onkyo SR700 or Yamaha V1300... BIG DEAL. When I can buy a competitively price preamp that easy, come back and talk.
    Marantz seriously need to bring out the AV-9200 with THX Ultra2... and price it competitively.
    The ongoing 950/1066 saga is tiring (and come back to me when distribution of the 1066 is easy and the BM and video 'problems' are fixed).
    T.

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

If the Rotel 1055/1066 model holds true for the rest of the industry, economics of scale will dictate that even if Denon made a 5803 without amps it would still be more expensive then the 5803 receiver.

13. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,
    My DENON sources tells me that there will be TWO (2) PRE/PRO on the horizon the FIRST will be a unit that will be LESS than the capabilities of the 5803 to avoid under cutting the sales of the 5803...
    Later on there will be a more UPGRADED version of the pre/pro that will have AT LEAST the same bells and whistles (if not MORE) than what the 5803 currently offers...
    When I pressed my source on the following questions:
    1. Pricing?
    2. Availability?
    3. Firewire?
    This person was EXTREMELY firm with NO COMMENTS, I didn't want to apply to much pressure for fear of this person distancing from me...
    The inside info supplied by my informant (DENON INSIDER) has been pretty reliable so far, as a matter of fact, it was because of inside info that I held off on pulling the trigger on the 5800 back in October 2001, just wait until THE SHOW in JANUARY...
    No I will NOT reveal who my source is, but I can tell you I do trust this person... [​IMG]))
    Good luck,
    -Alex

14. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

I guess the good news is that Denon is finally giving us current pre/pro. They just need to work on the pricing.

15. Han

Han Second Unit

Undercutting the price of the 5803???
    Hasn't B&K been pretty successful with their 307 / Ref 30 pricing scheme?
    I think Denon is overthinking this issue a bit. Why does the lesser priced pre/pro have to be crippled in features relative to the 5803 receiver???
    Oy![​IMG]

16. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

17. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

What is the motivation I wonder for the big manufacturers to make competitively priced preamps?
    Next thing you know Pioneer, Onkyo, Yamaha etc. will be all following Denon's lead.
    What a world that would be [​IMG]
    T.

18. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Kevin

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, nor am I trying to start a fight, but this forum has a rule against including your equipment complement as you have done. Your Sony ES pre/pro and Shure DPL may be relevant to the body of your post, but the rest is not.

Thanks

Artie

19. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Hey Artie- That's exactly why I don't put MODEL NUMBERS down there... And that's exactly why I put it in a small font too so it's easy to ignore if you want. [​IMG]