What's new

Denon's @#$%^*! FM antenna...... (1 Viewer)

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
I want to replace this useless piece of crap. It is just way too fickle in where it needs to be located.

Who makes a good FM antenna that will utilize the "D-shaped" plug on the back of the 3801/3802?

How do the new antennas hook up to the receiver if they don't have this....?

Help me please, as I cannot stand to listen to the radio with so much static going on. I was hoping to keep a new antenna under $30. Where Oh Where should I be looking?

Thanks!!!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I use a $2 piece of basic wire for my bedroom system (not with a 3801/2 though). Seems to work just fine. In my main system, I also am only using a wire "T" antena and it mostly works well, but I don't listen to the radio much vs CDs or DVDs. I bought one of those non-powered FM antenas, and it performed no better than the wire for either system.
Sorry, no Stars in the playoffs this year. GO SHARKS! :D

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
David,

I've got a 3802 and I use an old set of rabbit ears that I connected to part number 8 on page 4 of the 3802 manual, that fm antenna adaptor plugs right on to the receiver. I actaully needed more room to be able to move the rabbit ears so you couldn't see them so I "extended" the rabbit ears cord with some old speaker cable. Works just fine for me.

Other than that I'd try a Terk antenna - do a web search I'm sure you'll turn up a ton of places that sell them. You should be able to cobble something together to fit the output of the antenna to the FM adaptor provided by Denon or Terk might even provide an identical adapter.

Good luck!

Pete Gia

Stunt Coordinator
Can you use an outdoor antenna? If so,you will get an incredible improvement in reception.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Terk was what I bought. $15, unpowered. It didn't do a damn thing. Maybe try a powered one, but I believe they start at around $30 and up. A friend used one of the powered Terks and was happy with it.

Sankar

Second Unit
Do you have cable TV, or a roof mounted TV antenna? When I had cable, I used to just "plug" that into my Denon 2700 and got a good signal. About 2 years ago I got rid of cable TV and put an antenna on my roof and as before I was able to pull in a strong signal. I think that its just that the cable wiring in the house acts like an antenna. More recently when I switched to the Denon 3801, I just connected the F series cable from the antenna. Here is my current wiring:
Roof Antenna --> (Monster HTS2500) --> DST3000 HDTV Tuner --> 3801 FM antenna input
Since the HDTV comes in the path first, I find that I must turn off the unit if I am to listen to FM (for otherwise I get some crackling etc). When I turn the DST3000 off, signals come in clean and strong. I suppose that I could avoid this by putting a splitter before the DST3000, however I've noticed that any splitter (and I've tried the expensive ones too) will weaken the digital TV signals and possibly introduce unwanted noise into the analog ones.
If you use a VCR for tuning, you could easily replace the DST3000 with the VCR and get identical results. If you are using the TV's internal tuner, then you have no choice but to use a splitter.

ScottyB

Auditioning
Dave, I believe I have what you called a D-Shaped antenna that was supplied with the receiver. However my FM input on the the back of my receiver is coax. The adapter is no good for this antenna. So am I looking at buying a new antenna that fits a coax?

Dean Mar

Stunt Coordinator
I'm having the same problem. Have a B&K AVR305 and hooked up a non powered Terk antenna, the reception is horrible. Would like to find a solution to my problem without going to the expense and hassle of mounting an outdoor antenna.

Anybody have suggestions for an indoor antenna that works for FM?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks