Denon's Flagship 9000 is Now Chroma Bug Free

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Lee, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I received the firmware fix from Jeff Talmadge today via FedEx and immediately installed it in my player. It was a two-step process with two discs going into the player without pressing play. After some technostuff kept flashing on the display, I was ready to plop in Toy Story and give it a whirl. It looked much better on the two scenes that I check frequently: the opening title and the Woody at the podium scenes.

I am sure you skeptics out there may feel that this is some massive conspiracy cover-up, but I really think that they got it right this time..after working diligently after the release date to get it right.

2. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

I think Denon did a great thing, but now you just have to convince me that this $3,000 plus player has a better picture than a $200-$400 player.

Andy

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

It sounds like the firmware fix applies to the Denon 3800 as well. The gap diminishes...

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

This is indeed good news. It is a shame that Denon even released the players with the problem given how quickly they came up with a fix, but at least they came up with the fix quickly. [​IMG]

5. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Michael,

Which unit are you using? The 9000 or 3800?

I read the review on the 9000 today in an English magazine, I think it was HiFi (something or rather)...an incredible performer. They compared it to the new Meridian with the digital link and with DVD-Audio it performed extremely well as with the video. They also mentioned Redbook playback being very good, comparable to that of a $16-1800 stand alone deck.

I am going to seriously look into the 9000 when I get my 5800 upgraded (goes in on Monday)...thanks again for switching spots with me.

Andrew,

If you are even considering the 9000, it will have to be for more than the video section. While big accolades were given on the DVD performance, the DVD-Audio performance was supposedly breathtaking! The Redbook playback is also top notch. I agree that spending that kind of coin on a DVD player is hard to do...but if it offers a one box solution for all digital media, paying the price is easier IMO.

Jeremy

6. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

This is excellent news. I should be receiving my Firmware fix from Jeff in the next few days.
    Indeed Video, Redbook CD and DVD Audio performance is second to none, that I've used.
    Is the 9000 worth it's hefty price tag?
    I look at it a different way.
    I think I saved a considerable amount of money buying the 9000 versus the Meridian, Theta or the like.

geo

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeremy,

I know that Michael has the '9000. What Hi*Fi? out of the UK gave the European version, the DVD-A1, an excellent review in the current issue.

You said in regards to the '9000:

8. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

I only look at video when I buy a DVD player. Im sure many people do differently and that is their right, but I cannot justify $3,000 if the picture is not better (or for the added benefit of DVD-audio and the limited catalogue.)

I am a pure video person. I enjoy cd's, but DVD-audio and SACD have a ways to go before I get involved (my opinion again).

Andy

9. Jeremy Hegna

"Yeah, but the '9000 doesn't play SACDs. While I am not denying the quality of the '9000, I feel that $3000+ is a lot to pay for a DVD player to not get both high-resolution formats. Just my $0.02."

Keith,

My thoughts were the same as yours, until I read what Bob Stuart (Meridian) had to say about universal players in the same magazine. Obviously, he is a bit biased...being that Meridian is ONLY on the DVD-A bandwagon...but his comments about getting it right with a universal player were very interesting. Also, the thought process that neither format would survive without DVD video.

"The best possible SACD player would tend to work against the best PCM performance" is an eye opener for someone looking to get the ultimate performance from one unit.

Andrew,

With what was said about the 9000's video performance, it looks quite good...however, the review was primarily built on sound quality in comparison to other units.

Jeremy

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeremy, while I respect Meridian and Bob Stuart's knowledge of audio, I have to question Mr. Stuart's objectivity. It is certainly true that compromises are observed with certain components are feature-packed. At a given price point, a dedicated CD player is often a better CD player than a DVD player. So, one could argue that a dedicated SACD/CD player will be better with SACDs and CDs than a comparably priced universal player. Other generalizations could be made. However, we have not seen nearly enough universal players to draw any conclusions about relative performance.

11. Jeremy Hegna

"However, we have not seen nearly enough universal players to draw any conclusions about relative performance."

Amen. I agree completely, hence I've not yet dove into either. I am going to get a 555ES as you suggested, but more as a GOOD CD player 1st, as I have no SACDs yet. The Stone's collection is what sold me. I am still dragging my feet on the purchase as I have just ordered a Rega P25 and a Nitty Gritty 1.5. I love vinyl and until SACD or DVD-A pan out a bit more, my money will be spent on my analog rig.

I guess my argument would be that MANY audiophiles wouldn't raise an eyebrow about spending $2-$5k on a stand alone CD player...why not a killer DVD-A player with great attributes? You've obviously read the same article as I. Did you notice the internal components and shielding care they gave to the 9000? The weight is nearly 50lbs. The component isolation and hand picked audiophile pieces and parts make this an intriguing machine. Denon Jeff is on the AVscience forum answering questions on the 9000, 3800, and 2800mkII. He is anticipating the Secrets article on the performance of the 9000 with stars in his eyes. As a Denon fan, I may be a bit bias...but it looks as though the 9000 is a winner. We'll have to see what Stacey thinks, until then.....

Jeremy

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeremy, when you get the 'C555ES, do give us a report. Congratulations on your turntable purchase. You got a great piece there.
    DVD-Audio has never appealed to audiophiles, so many of them wouldn't take a DVD-Audio of any quality for free. It is their loss. I am distressed by the lack of software, but a lot of what is available sounds great, and there are a number of quality players available. There is no question in my mind that the '9000 is a superb component. I saw one at a Denon dealer in New Jersey a few weeks ago, and it is a tank. Unfortunately, it was not connected to anything. Still, the player is impressive. I can't imagine it being a bad component in any area. Still, there is a lot of stiff competition in the CD player arena at the $3000 level. As a result, I am still skeptical about the '9000 being as good as those players. I obviously can't say for sure, and the comparison would be interesting. Regardless of its CD capability, I am quite certain the '9000 is an outstanding DVD-Video and DVD-Audio player. If only it played SACDs. [​IMG]

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

All, the abso!ute sound has a review of the '9000 in the July/August issue. There is a also a review of the Pioneer Elite DV-47A. See this link for the table of contents:
    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/current.html

14. Michael Lee

I have only skimmed it but have you seen this review yet?
    I definitely have the 9000 at this time and have yet to see a 3800. I am ordering a custom faceplate from Middle Atlantic before hooking it up to my Sharp 9000 DLP. This day cannot come soon enough. As much as I love my RP-91, the audio cannot touch the Denon.

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, I have not seen the review you provided a link to. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

16. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

That's great news on the Denon. Glad to see they've improved the player.

17. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

Michael,

What custom faceplate? I just received and installed the upgrade (9000). The only thing that I would add to my review at the AVS forum is that CD's are sounding better (still a bit hard, but maybe that's my old ears) a number of friends have come by and they have each ordered either 3800's or 9000's.

Has anyone read the TAS review?

18. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Michael,thanks for the news and the link,but that guy's "style" gave me a headache.

19. Michael Lee

Robert-
    The custom faceplate is to go into my rack.
    [​IMG]
    As I may have mentioned before, I love my Panasonic RP-91(enough to own two of them!). Their scaling ability alone earns it a continual spot in one of my systems. but the audio section of the Denon dances over the Panny in a big way. Now that the chroma problem is resolved, I can enjoy great picture and sound in my FP setup.

20. Michael Lee

Here is another review.