Denon's equivalent to the new Onkyo 600 receiver model

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasL, Mar 14, 2002.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Does anyone know when Denon will be releasing new receiver models and if one of them will compete in the same feature set/price range as the new Onkyo TX-SR600 model? The latter will have/has 6.1 support, and DPL II and has a MSRP list of around $500.

thanks,

--tom

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Bump.

No one knows if Denon will be releasing new receivers to compete with Onkyo?

3. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I wouls say that Denon already has a competitor in the 2802. It can be had in the $500 range and has several of the features of the 600.

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

The Denon 2802 looks to be about $250 more than what the Onkyo 600 MSRP is. My local stores list the 2802 with a list price of $799. I'd like to know if Denon will be perhaps releasing a new version of the 1802 that will match the 600 in features.

I'm also interested in knowing what other choices there will be this year in the ~$500 range for receivers with 6.1 - DD-EX and DTS-ES (discrete and matrix) - as well as DPL II. What would people recommend?

thanks,

--tom

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

6. John E F

John E F Stunt Coordinator

I am definately looking forward to hearing the new Onkyo. I'm really curious as to how the 600 sounds, especially at this price level. While the features are impressive, the Denon 2802 has a few more that may be worth a little more depending on your needs. One thing I have found is that it's hard to compare receivers at a particular price point because the features are rarely equal, but just as good. I hope the Onkyo 600 is as good as I think it will be because it will definately raise the bar at the $500 to $700 price range. I also thought I had heard/read somewhere that Denon won't be replacing the 1602 through 3802 anytime soon. This is because there hasn't been any new features (like PL2, DTS-ES, DD-EX) introduced that the current models lack. Take this with a grain of salt, I'm not sure how accurate it is.

7. George Be

George Be Auditioning

Where are you guys getting your info about the Onkyo 600? It's not on THEIR site (!), and it doesn't seem to show up in my Web searches. Anyone know when it will ship? Reviews, etc?

Thanks,

GB

8. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

9. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

10. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Just to followup my initial post, I'm trying to compile a list of budget receivers that will have 6.1 DD-EX, DTS-ES Discrete, DPLII and is of decent build quality and in the $400-500 price range.

So far I have

Pioneer VSX-811S

Onkyo TX-SR600

Any others? I know the Denon 2802 is close to this but it's still a little pricey for me. Does Yamaha have such an offering to compete with these? Any other brands I should be looking at?

thanks,

--tom

11. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

12. parin_patel

Kenwood is going to come out with a new line of VR-6XX receivers in the spring which are supposed to support 6.1. There was some discussion about them in this thread:
    Kenwood Product Line Page
    Edit: Just found out that Yamaha is also coming out with a new line of budget receivers supporting 6.1:
    RX-V730/630/530/430

13. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Thanks Parin. I'm a little confused over the Yamaha specs since the bottom two are listed as 5 channels driven at 75 watts yet below that they say YES for DD-EX and DTS-ES. How exactly would they be powering the 6th channel in this case? Also, it's unclear from Yamaha's specs if they will have support for DTS-ES Discrete.

--tom

14. parin_patel

From what I understand, the V430/530 recievers would have 5 amplified channels with support for a Phantom/Virtual rear center channel. The V630/730 receivers do have 6 amplified channels, so 6.1 should be ok with those. There's still no info on support for DTS-ES Discrete though, but I like the fact that the V630 will have preouts for all channels. It should match up pretty well against the Onkyo 600, considering they're both priced at $500 MSRP.

15. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

16. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

The onkyo 600 is DD-EX and DTS-ES (matirx) not discrete [​IMG]
    "Just to followup my initial post, I'm trying to compile a list of budget receivers that will have 6.1 DD-EX, DTS-ES Discrete, DPLII and is of decent build quality and in the $400-500 price range.
    So far I have
    Pioneer VSX-811S
    Onkyo TX-SR600 "

17. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Will that Pioneer switch HDTV component video or just 480i/p component???

Other than that uncertainty, it's a winner.

I really like the pre-outputs that I could team with my current Pioneer 24TX elite receiver.

It would be nice if Pioneer made an elite model similar to the 24 with DPLII and DTS Discrete. Too bad the 35 has only THX surround EX and DTS matrix 6.1 decoding.

18. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Sorry if This has allready been said, but how much will theTXSR500 and 600 cost? How will they compair to..the outlaw 1050?

19. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

the 500 is selling for $299 at one call..

the 600 is listed at circuit city for $449 and one call for $499. should be in this week or next.

jim