What's new

DenonAuto-setup feature worth the $? (1 Viewer)

Peter J

Auditioning
In another post I was directed to the Denon AVR2105 (or possibly the AVR1905) as a more economical answer to my needs. The difference between the two units appears to be mostly that the 2105 has Denon's auto-setup feature, where a microphone automatically balances the channels. The price difference is about $150. My question is whether there is anyone here who can offer an opinion as to how the auto-setup works and whether it's worth the cost.

BTW - A friend of mine has the AVR3805. At twice the price of the 2105, it does NOT include the auto-setup mirophone which is listed as 'included' with the 2105. Curious, I thought. Does that suggest that with better units the owner is more likely to set up using meters (or just ears)?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The lack of mic in the 3805 really indicates that those willing to pay $1200 for the receiver are more likely to pay another $60 to get the mic.

If you're looking for a receiver w/ a great auto-setup feature INCLUDING room-eq, you might want to look at the Pioneer 1014TX. It's the top of the line Pinoeer model and exactly the same as the Pinoeer Elite 52TX (minus RS232 port). It includes the setup microphone and the Pioneer Auto-MCACC w/ room-eq has been one of it's most praised feature. The amp section is also very solid, much stronger than say the Denon 2805 (and i'm sure stronger than the 2105). The 1014TX is available from www.onecall.com for $500, but then they have 10% of all receivers over $300 and free 3day fedex shipping, making it $450 shipped. I'm replacing a Pioneer Elite 43TX w/ one of these, it should arrive friday or monday (i ordered locally instead of from onecall).

MikeHU

Stunt Coordinator
Peter, I can relay my experience with the auto setup. I recently upgraded from a Denon 1801 to the 2805. I had just recently learned how to properly calibrate my sound system from this site and instructions from SVS manual on my new PB2. I calibrated the old 1801 with my radio shack meter. I was pleased with the sound. I then got my 2805 and used their auto calibration with included mic. I must say that I was pleased with the overall sound and believed that the calculations for speaker placement were very accurate. The auto EQ was so-so. I confess that I could not tell you how it is supposed to sound (ie. flat,etc.), but I can tell you that it provides you with some additional options to play with and see what sounds good to you. With the EQ, I found that the "normal" mode is most pleasing to me. There are "front", "flat" and off as well. You can also do it manually. They all sound slightly different, but it is hard to put it into words the difference. My observation as a novice, is that it creates a spacially different sound. A shifting of the sound stage. With the speaker levels, I thought it did a nice job of balancing my system. It told me I'm running my sub a little hot, but that's the way I like it. (ie, it corrected it to something like -6, and I changed it back to -2). My impression is that it is a neat little tool, but you can do it just as easily with a sound meter. Is it worth the extra cost? Depends on how tight the budget is, and whether you can calibrate on your own. If your comfortable doing it on your own, then my opinion is that it is not necessary. By the way, I was extremely pleased with the increase in sound quality from the 1801 to the 2805. So, I would carefully look at the specs on whatever 2 models you are considering, and go for the one with the better processing, regarless of auto set-up. Good luck, and have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread