What's new

Denon3801 vs 3802 (and DTS Neo vs DPL2) (1 Viewer)

Gil D

Supporting Actor
The only significant difference I can see that 3802 brings to the table is DPL2. Now that the Denon 3801 is available hundreds less than the 3802, is DPL2 really that much better than Neo?
I have some experience with DPL2 on my Onkyo 626 used as a pre/pro but don't have much experience with the newer Denons. DPL2 is pretty effective for movies on the Onkyo but so wasn't my Sony ES w/out this format. I never cared for DPL on my Denon 3200 so need to know if Neo is going to be pretty close to DPL2 and therefore acceptable for stereo and DPL movies off satellite and laser.
What about sonic performance using the internal D/A, analog bypass, and 6/7 channel input. Is the 3802 better or worse? I am interested in transparent analog performance using stereo analog bypass and 6 channel inputs for SACD. Solid D/A using the receiver's interanl DACs would be a big plus for PCM stereo from a CD megachanger.
Also, how good is the remote that comes with the Denons and what can be done with the LCD display on the remote. I actually liked the Sony 2-way LCD remote although it was rather slow.
Thanks for the input.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Sound & Vision gave the big thumbs up on the Matrix mode over Neo on the 3801. Is the Matrix mode still available on the 3802 and anyone compare it to DPL2 and Neo?
The measurements also look to be pretty solid for a piece in this class.
Any reviews on the 3802 out yet?

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Bump up for the question: Is the 3802 worth the extra $$ over the 3801 now? I'm seeing the 3801 go in the high 600's on www.pricescan.com. Do you think it can really go any lower? I guess the 3802 is going for $900, so that's only a savings of $200.
I know I want one of these 2 receivers. Just gotta decide if having the newer version is wirth $200.
Thanks, Aaron

Wayne Reibold

Stunt Coordinator
I own a Denon AVR-5800 that has DTS Neo:6 and feel it somewhat improves 2-channel sources but only slightly. I find the effect pretty subtle to the point of sometimes wondering if it's turned on.
From what I've read of comparisons, DPL II is significantly better than DTS Neo:6.

Darby Wing

Auditioning
I bought a 3802 about two weeks ago and find that the dpl2 gives a fuller, richer sound than the neo or matrix when used with surround speakers. However, the neo sounds better than the dpl2 when only left and right mains are used. I probably like the matrix dsp as well as, or better than the neo when using a 5.1 setup but much prefer the dpl2 or 5 channel stereo to either the neo or any other dsp available on the 3802.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard DPLII as of yet I'd like to someday.
However the Matrix mode,which was prsent on Denon models dates back to 4years,always been my favorite DSP,I've heard to date.I've never understood that 5ch Stereo craze that people were all over about about 2 years ago.
Anyway,I don't care for Neo 6 for music,but it does well for 2ch movies[cinema mode].
I seriously doubt that the 3802 would sound much different from the current 3801.
I've sampled Denons the last 12 months,[models 3600,3300,3801] and they sounded pretty much the same to me.
The 3801 features a steeper slope on it's lowpass crossover in it's bass managment,so it made the bass[sub] "sound tighter",but that's about it.
The real question is the DPLII other then that, I wouldn't sweat anything else,between the two receivers.

------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
what would you use DPLII FOR?
How about every single film that has a 2 channel soundtrack?
There aren't many of those. I mean, did movies even exist before 1993?
rolleyes.gif

Todd

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
This may sound like a dumb question but when I play a dvd encoded in 2.o (on the 3801) it automatically goes to dolblby PL. How do I set it for neo ??

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
I didn't mean to sound stupid previously , it's just that I find (percentage-wise) so few people that i've run across watch older movies on dvd .So, I am curious as to weather this is being used by people with an extensive vhs library, or people with satelitte tv? I understand that the algorythm does not respond well to "psuedo-mts stereo " off cable,so ,I'm just wondering what is the % breakdown of how often you would use it and with what type of source....NO SARCASM IN THIS POST AT ALL, I AM JUST TRYING TO GAIN INSIGHT INTO THIS FORMATS UTILITY GIVEN THE PROLIFERATION OF MULTI-CHANNEL FORMATS AND MOST PEOPLES PREDISPOSITION TO FINDING /LISTENING TO THEM (excuse caps not shouting,just poor typing)

BrianBHD

Agent
From what I have read, Neo 6 is the worst of the matrix decoders, while DPL2 is the best. Here's a good, in-depth, review:
Link Removed
Brian

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
This may sound like a dumb question but when I play a dvd encoded in 2.o (on the 3801) it automatically goes to dolblby PL. How do I set it for neo ??
Neo can't work with DD in the digital path be it 2.0 or5.1,so you have use the analog input.
------------------

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Neo can't work with DD in the digital path be it 2.0 or5.1,so you have use the analog input.
That's really, really, REALLY lame!
I use digital audio from my Sat receiver and laser for PCM and DD 2.0. Are you telling me that Neo really won't work? How about Matrix mode?
I didn't have this problem with the DSP modes on my Sony ES. I could apply Studio Cinema EX modes to just about everything: PCM, DD2.0, DDx.x, or DTSx.x
And the results were usually quite good perhaps even better than DPL2 at least for the 2 channel stuff.

Joseph Kim

Agent
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like Lewis says, you have to use your analog outs, or you can go into your dvd player menu and change the bit stream to pcm, if you want to use your digital out.
joe

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I use digital audio from my Sat receiver and laser for PCM and DD 2.0. Are you telling me that Neo really won't work? How about Matrix mode?
It does work with PCM evenif it has DPL encoded in it like LD's,however with DVD's or satelite TV with Dolby Digital encoding it won't work.
You don't wanna use the matrix mode other then music.The dialog would sound wierd!
------------------

Gil D

Supporting Actor
So then for DD2.0 on the 3801 you have DPL and on the 3802 you have the hopefully improved DPL2. My PCM laser discs will work with Neo on both machines.
And if I switch the dvd player and SAt receiver to output PCM only, then I can use Neo or Matrix from those sources.
Do I have this right?
Lewis S&V liked the Matrix mode over Neo for the DPL stuff.
Do you find the dialogue to be somewhat remote with a bit of echo/reverb?

Joseph Kim

Agent
Gil, yes, but matrix should work with dd 2.0, and pcm is for neo.
joe
[Edited last by Joseph Kim on August 02, 2001 at 07:57 PM]

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Lewis S&V liked the Matrix mode over Neo for the DPL stuff.Do you find the dialogue to be somewhat remote with a bit of echo/reverb?

Thier comments on matrix mode were made of it's music performance,not movies.
The dialog would emit as much from the mains as from the center,so it would sound less focused.Denon also recomends this DSP as an enhancment for music,not movies. I agree.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks