1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon3801?/3802?troubles me.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ferdinand, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Ferdinand

Ferdinand Auditioning

Hi guys,new on the forum and would value your input.I have a
    problem with specs from Denon.I have a 3801(my third one)as
    i have been experiencing overheating problems in 5-channel
    stereo with music cd's.The unit is well ventilated.To replace the 3801 i thought maybe the 3802 would do it.My
    speakers are 4 x Tannoy S8's,S8Center,MXC as rear center.The problem is the following.What Hi-Fi magazine.www.whathifi.com
    had a post in the Oct. issue that said:3802-the power supply
    has been updated with a new transformer similar to the 5800.
    In this forum i read someone saying there are small differences in the remotes.A German magazine www.audiovision.de review results:3300-(4ohm)118W /3801-(4ohm)50W /3802-(4ohm)149W,this can be viewed at www.audioreview.com.
    I have ,48 hrs ago unpacked and connected my 3802.They have
    exactly the same transformers and remotes even the serial no's match on these.Denon web page www.denon.com has the 3802 rated at 110W,the owners manual rates it at 105W.
    Besides PL 11 i cant find any difference between the units.
    Is Denon shipping different units to different countries or
    is there some dishonesty going on.The simple answer is, buy
    Onkyo 898,i am considering this but i want to know the truth.Anything besides complete honesty is not acceptable.
    I value your comments.

2. Kevin-L

Kevin-L Extra

marketing [​IMG]

3. Francois L

Francois L Stunt Coordinator

The 3802 has the new Dolby Pro Logic II. The 3801 does not.
    That's the biggest difference between the two. It's not only
    marketing.
    ------------------
    "My god, it`s full of stars!"

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Ferdinand: Wow! I like Denon a lot (I use a 3802 as a pre/pro in my setup.) But you've got me beat! If I had 3 bad units, I probably would have moved on the something else...
    Anyway, I have also read about all the "improvements" made to the 3802 over the 3801. Several have even talked about how the 3802 has returned to the famous Denon "warmth".
    My opinion is that they are virtually the same box with DPL II included. Any differences are probably due more to changes in parts supplies and manufacturing techniques/decisions. So, even though I own one and really like it a lot, I believe the "differences" are more a marketing thing than true changes.
    (BTW, I'm curious about your 3801 problems. What was the deal with the other 2? Did the fan ever kick in on the last one you were using?)
    ------------------

5. Ferdinand

Ferdinand Auditioning

Chuck,hi.
    My first one i was told a processor had gone,the second one
    i know the transformer burnt as i insisted watching when it was opened.I failed to mention my speakers are 6ohms and the blame was passed on to the speakers.A concern is that i
    mailed the manufacturers,as well as whathifi,more than a week ago and still no comment from them.It seems that it is far to easy to get away with "misprints" and the wrong information.This unit in S.A. costs R13000,00 which is a lot off money,the average consumer wont spend more than
    R5000,00 on a unit.When you pay this type of money you expect top quality.The 3802 is definitely an improvement,but
    if it is sufficient i don't know.

6. Tor Arne

Tor Arne Stunt Coordinator

Maybe the different measurements are because some are US-units and the others are EURO-units. They need to have different transformers, you know, 220V in europe versus 110V in USA. Still, a big gap. The swedish magazine "Hemmabio" measured the 3801 to 7*110W 8 ohms. Thats ALL channels loaded. [​IMG] Needless to say, this pleased me as I had just bought one.
    Chuck.
    The 3801 doesn't have a fan. [​IMG] If it does, it's invisible.
    TAH
    ------------------
    Picture of my setup so far:
    http://tahustvedt.homestead.com/files/stue02.jpg
    Visit my stupid website:
    http://spots.flatland.com/tahustvedt/grass/

7. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Tor: I haven't taken the cover off of my 3802, but it's layout (looking through the top) is extremely close to the 3300 I had. I would find it hard to believe that the 3801 or the 3802, with their extra amps, could safely operate longterm (heat-wise) without a fan "safety net".
    (The 3300 was one of Denon's first fan cooled units. The 3300's fan was temperature and volume sensitive, so it wasn't always on or very loud. The location of the fan was internal and sat at an angle to the heat sinks near the front of the unit. It was vented to the rear of the unit.)
    Maybe someone (unfortunately not me [​IMG] ) is willing to pull out their unit and pop the cover (or maybe they already have) and check for us.
    ------------------