Denon2200 or Phillips963A or ????

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by dan-0, Jan 5, 2004.

1. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

Current system:
    Denon AVR2803
    NHT satalites and sub (5.1, wired for 7.1)
    Sony DVD player (entry level, 5 years old)
    Techniques CD player (dead, +10 years old)

I'm looking to replace the dead CD player and upgrade on my DVD video. To do this I am planning on getting an 'entry level' universal player.

My short list currently consists of the above referenced Denon2200 and Phillips963. Other then the Denons' ability to do both SCAD and DVD-A, I don't see much differnce in features or spcifications between the two players. I don't 'need' both SCAD and DVD-A, I would at the least, like to have one just to try and enjoy a new listening format.

I'm leaning towards the Phillips as I don't see paying $100 more for the DVD-A of the Denon unless the Denon is clearly superior in other areas such as DVD-video and CD playback.

I open to any suggestions concerning the above players or perhaps another player I should be looking at.

[edit]

The only thing holding me back from the Phillips is that it comes in only Silver. All my other compenents are black. I'd like black. Is that any kind of reasonable reason not to get it?

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

The video on the Denon 2200 is exactly the same as the $1000 Denon 2900, which ranked 3rd of all time on Secrets DVD Shootout. I have not seen the Phillips, but I would bet that the Denon has superior video. And having both sound formats is very handy. The music labels are split between the 2 high res formats (more tend to go with SACD), so you may want to look at the artists that you like to see which format they are found on, because it will be one or the other. You would hate to find out that you favorite artist is only on DVD-A.

3. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I have had a Philips 963 since April of 2003. Here are the pros and cons of the unit, as far as I see:

Pros:

* I have a Panasonic 32-inch TV that is just a regular TV; while it provides fine image quality, it is nothing special - not progressive, not 16x9, nothing. I have owned six prior DVD players from brands such as Toshiba, JVC and Panasonic.

None of them have approached the kind of image quality that I see from this player. The difference is enormous versus any of the prior players. I see an absolutely scary, remarkable level of detail and clarity on the best DVD transfers, while average transfers look stelllar. The first time I plugged a DVD into this player, my jaw hit the floor. I don't have progressive scan capability, so I don't know about progressive picture quality, but non-progressive picture quality is outstanding.

* Faroudja chip; DCDI; NSV; 13-bit/108-mhz video DAC.

* Excellent SACD playback

* CD Upsampling. Opinions on this feature vary, but I think it does improve certain recordings. It upcoverts CDs to 24-bit/96khz or 24-bit/192khz.

* Good build quality. The unit itself is built sturdy, but some have recommended buying a better power cord. I haven't tried this.

* Return: If you turn the player off mid-movie and come back later, the player goes right to where you left off.

Neither Pros or Cons:

* Runs warm: The player does tend to run warm on one side, where I'm guessing the power supply is.

* Mods: I'm not going to get into it here and I haven't tried it (I don't want to do something wrong and screw up the player), but there are quite a few modifications (region free, etc.) that I've seen for the player around the net.

Cons:

* Reliability: I've had random lock-ups with this player and some moments where the DVD didn't seem to load right (no audio, then when I turned it off and on again, it worked fine). These were new DVDs, too. I've seen others complain about the same issue with their 963s.

* Looks: Not a big deal to me, but the player has very plain looks and some people may not like that it only comes in silver.

* Angle icon: During multi-angle material, the "multi-angle" icon stays on in the upper corner of the screen and doesn't turn off. This is apparently part of the player "design".

4. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

- double post.

5. BillG

BillG Agent

I just bought a Denon DVD-2200 this weekend to replace a tired old Panasonic DVD-A110. Yup, may be the last working A110 on the planet!

So far, after only two days I am very impressed. Setup was reasonably easy. Bass management is complete. DVD-Audio, multi-channel SACD, DTS CD, DTS on DVD and Dolby Digital on DVD all sound very nice using the on-board decoder. Picture is probably better than my TV (medium grade Hitachi 32 inch CRT). The transport works smoothly. It plays everything I throw at it. It even played both CD-R and CD-RW media with Red Book audio on them.

6. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

My A110 still works - it just had its 5th b-day.

7. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replys.

Some excellant ideas were brought up. I don't think I can go wrong on either player. Perhaps I'll flip a coin.

8. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

dan, what part of duluth ya in man...I'm in Cloquet[​IMG] FWIW I use the denon 1600...but always looking to move on to bigger and better things[​IMG] I wish I could get the pioneer 59avi, and denon 5900 along with my 1600 to test these things out...tom

9. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

TommyL,

Nice to see a local on these here boards. I actually live in Hermantown up by the Miller Hill Mall area. When I get my Denon or Phillips (in about a month) I'll invite ya over for a look-see. I'd be curious if the 2200 has better video (to the untrained eye, such as myself) then the 1600, I believe it's supposed to.

Are you happy with the 1600?

10. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

SOunds good! I used to live right up there by Hermantown myself[​IMG] Yes, I think the 1600 is a great machine...fact is, I'm always looking for that last tweak to get things sharper (I use a FP) and knowing that there is something out there that can do it, I am thinking about testing it out[​IMG] Drop me a line --> [email protected] then we won't high jack the thread[​IMG] tom

11. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Producer

Where can one get the Philips 963A DVD player? I clicked on a few e-tailers websites recently and all of them had it as out of stock.

Also does anyone know the exact way to make it region-free? I read somewhere that a special remote was needed. Does anyone know exactly what is involved? For me region free is non-negotiable as good 30% of my DVD collection is from outside of R1.

Thanks!
    Ted

12. JohnN

JohnN Agent

13. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Huh. I was going to suggest jandr.com for the Philips, but they're out. Onecall.com is taking "pre orders" for it. The player has always seemed to be in limited supply, but right now it seems like no one has it, which is too bad.

14. Tim Adams

Tim Adams Extra