What's new

Denon (1 Viewer)

Corey_ Williams

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about upgrading my receiver. I am looking at the purchasing a Denon receiver.

I have done some search on the Denon 4806 & 4306.

I have read good things about the 4806. Has anyone demoed or have this unit in their set-up?

I read a couple of user reviews on the 4306 & it was said that the unit had HDMI issues. Has anyone had any experience with this unit?

My Current set up includes the following:

Pioneer elite 45tx receiver
Paradigm 40's front
Paradigm 570 center
Paradigm 20's rear
paradigm seismic 12 sub

mylan

Screenwriter
No experience, but I think you might be referring to the 3806 having HDMI issues. I have been shopping for a Denon receiver as well and have read that the 3806 does have some quirky up-conversion problems. Search back in this section for particulars, but I think it refers to the 3806 only being able to upconvert analog to 480i, if so that would be a minor quibble. The newer 2806 is supposed to have resolved this issue.
As far as the 4306 is concerned, CNET has rated it very highly, giving it a 9 out of 10. The 4806, at $1,500 more has THX Ultra as well as some other, perhaps insignificant goodies. I would go to the Denon site and do a comparison to see if it is worth it to you.

Corey_ Williams

Stunt Coordinator
I have never used the receiver, but two users gave an assessment at audioreview.com saying that they had issues with the units.:confused:

mylan

Screenwriter
Ooops! I meant the NEW 2807, not 2806. I do not read any other forums but would two users out of hundreds change your mind? What issues?

Corey_ Williams

Stunt Coordinator
Mylan,

The following posts from audio review were the only reviews that I could find on the 4306...that's why I came hear for help:

Summary:
Unfortunatley the 4306 has HDMI problems thats why I purchased the Avc -A11XV the model under the flagship and that does not have any HDMI issues. Take a look at the A11 and you will see why it's a better built machine than the 4306. the 4306 looks like all the basic amps around especially the back (looks like the crappy Yamaha with those red speaker inputs definetley a china idea (Cheap)

Strengths:
The 4306 well by reading what it has I guess the Ethernet port ant the radio which then I wouldn't say It's a proper Home Theatre Amp. The A11 has no radio which is dedicated for Home Theatre Enthusiasts

Weaknesses:
The Back looks like all the Cheap rubbish amps that come from china EG Marantz, Pioneer, The Japanese budgeted on this one.

Similar Products Used:
I've had them all from Marantz,Pioneer,Yamaha and Onkyo and The Denon A11 kills them all but I say The Onkyo which was my last amp was the only one I had repect for.

__________________________________________________ _________
Summary:
Replaced my AVR3300, bought specifically for the video switching capabilities. The auto set-up of the speakers is a nice feature (mic is included unlike the 3805 models with same feature) and saved some time. The "on screen menu" sucks, it blacks out the video signal underneath like previous models and just doesn't seem like a logical layout. It seems every TV I look at has a pretty easy to navigate/adjust menu but Denon has yet to pay attention to what else is out there...I feel like I'm navigating a menu from 1990. A MAJOR problem seems to be the HDMI output (HDCP issues). Motorola HDDVR's signal is somehow having issues being passed through the receiver and there's no picture going through. Multiple technicians from the shop and Comcast have looked at it and all agree, Denon has a HDCP issue! Buyers looking to consolidate their cabling and simplify their video watching test out your HDMI signals before purchasing!

Strengths:
Excellent audio, what you've come to expect from Denon. USB input, IP addressable (internet radio) and IPOD controls are all nice as well

Weaknesses:
Video switching (see above comment) and the remote is a joke. I miss the one from my 3300, it was logically laid out and easy to use. This new one seems to have a delay in pressing the buttons and the screen changing and I can never tell what I'm doing with it. I've replaced with a Logitech Harmony universal. Also wish they'd have used the speaker terminals from the 4806 for the $ their charging for this.

Similar Products Used:
Denon AVR3300, Denon AVR3805

mylan

Screenwriter

This is a truly dumb reason to buy a receiver. Switching is a convenience feature on most mid-priced AVR's at best.
Most members here will tell you to run cables from the source directly to the display anyway. A good universal remote will switch inputs, so that also negates the gripe about the remote (which I agree, it needs work).
The reasons to buy a receiver is the audio section first, then features.
I'm not taking up for Denon, but the consumer electronics industry is changing very fast. By the time a product goes to market, many standards have changed with regards to Hollywood imposed copy restriction and also to HDMI versions, but the HDMI issues you sited are still a cable company problem.

Corey_ Williams

Stunt Coordinator
Mylan,

The reason why started this thread was to obtain more information about these receivers. I am truely thinking of purchasing one of them. I am not attempting to bash Denon.

My reason for pointing out the two reviews was to show the only information that I have located so far on the 4306, and if it does have issues, has anyone else had the same problems.

While I agree with your assessment that the audio section of a reciever is the most importmant thing. Issues in the video section would break the deal for me and others.

Steve_Blazer

Stunt Coordinator
I swear if I had a dime for every timer someone quoted the same CNet review of the 3806 I could retire.

The 3806 is NOT the cause of the HDCP problems.

EVERYONE is having them.

Go look on a forum for JVC receivers and youll see what I mean.

The HDCP standard hasn't been implemented properly and as such nearly everyone is having issues switching their HDMI cabled HDDVR signal.

OK .. get over it.

Stick with component cables.

The 3806 converts to HDMI output anyways, so whats the difference.

To be honest if this would stop you from buying one of the best recievers at this price range, go ahead.
Just dont expect anything else to work any better.

I second the poster above that says above all a receiver should be purchased for the audio section.
If itll also switch your video needs, then great.

I actually own a 3806 btw .. and its great :).

Corey_ Williams

Stunt Coordinator
I am back to my origanal question. Has anyone had any experince with 4306 0r 4806?

If you have or heard the 4306, Do you think it will sound better with an external amp?

Does anyone know when the new modles will come out?

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Corey,

I have a 4806 powering Studio(v3)40/ADP470/570/Servo-15 and the sound is sweet. It has tons of power and features. Hopefully in the future Denon will offer a HDMI 1.3 upgrade for the new formats coming out. Certainly has the processing power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks