Denon "Widescreen" DSP mode for 7.1 set-up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mark Doyle, May 5, 2004.

1. Mark Doyle

Mark Doyle Auditioning

I just started experimenting with this mode on my new 7.1 set-up (Denon 3803). I like the way it takes content from the side surrounds and puts it in the back surrounds. It seems to really smooth out the surround field, although it makes the surrounds so loud that some tweaking of the effect level and/or surround channel levels looks necessary. Does anyone use this mode for 5.1 or 6.1 movie soundtracks and has anyone compared it to Dolby Prologic IIx (perhaps a 3805 owner who has both)? Thanks for your input.

2. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Ive owned the 3803, and recently got the 3805.

I wouldnt put too much stock in the contrived DSP modes.... from any manufacturer. The "effect modes" as some other manufacturers call them, are fun for casual listening, but I reccomend sticking to the standard post processing modes. These effect modes all add artificial delays reverberations, echoes etc. Esentially, they are creating information that is not originally present in the source signal. Adding echos and things like that. The standard modes, like the dolby DTS variations, are methods of re-steering information, with not artificial add-ons.

3. Mark Doyle

Mark Doyle Auditioning

Jeremy,

I agree with you about DSP modes in general as I have never liked any of them for movie soundracks in the past. However, I have not heard any artificial echo effects on Denon's Widescreen 7.1 mode. In fact, the sound quality and balance of the front three speakers seems completely unchanged. What it does do is create stereo back channels using the information from the side surrounds. It seems like it uses a similar method to Logic 7 which is being discussed in another thread. It has eliminated the localization I was getting in my side surrounds, while providing better surround effect directional accuracy. "Fly-overs" and rear pans are smoother and it greatly improves the imaging for off-center viewers. I still would be interested in some thoughts from people who have tried both this format and DPLIIx.

4. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

I tried the Widescreen 7.1 on my Denon AVR-3803 and set the effects to the minimum setting. Doing so, the back surround channels seem to mirror or reproduce content that's already in the side surrounds plus add their own effects. Also, the front soundstage is really processed sounding when comparing to DPL2 and DTS Neo: 6.

I recently started format comparison 'again' as I was un-satisfied with DPL 2 movie mode's limited 5.1 soundfield and DPL 2 music mode's over bassed and processed music mode.

While it's a toss up as far as Neo 6 and DPL 2 in cinema 5.1 mode, Dts: Neo 6 wins for adding the center rear channel. I do like Dts: Neo 6 music mode better than DPL 2's music mode as it seems less processed.

I think Dts Neo:6 is the way to go. Although there are 2 stereo back surrounds with both Widescreen 7.1 and DPL 2x, I feel their speaker closeness will essentially kill stereo effects that will actually picked up. Also, I'm pressed to hear any stereo effects in Widescreen 7.1's back surrounds. Since I haven't heard DPL 2x, it may be better, but for now, I'm quite happy with Dts Neo:6.

Have a good one.