What's new

DENON...When is the 5803 coming out??? You're falling behind the competition (49TX)! (1 Viewer)

Robert George

Screenwriter
Yes, I'm using the 49TX and, yes, I have been able to shut it off (overload). However, don't make too much of this one issue. The unit actually shut down at only one point and never on anything else played at any volume. The new THX logo at the beginning of the Phantom Menace DVD is what drained the power supply of the 49TX. The peak at the point the sphere explodes to be exact.

Here are my details, just to maintain some perspective here. The mains, as Shane pointed out, are B&W Nautilus 804s. The center is B&W HTM2, which actually has a lower sensitivity rating than the mains at 88dB. The MCACC auto calibration boosts the upper frequencies on all channels in my particular room. I have since done some tweaking of some of the eq settings to take some of the edge off the high end, but at the time the receiver shut down things were running very "hot". Also, remember this logo trailer is in EX and has all channels driving simultaneously. Add to all this I have a relatively large volume space and you have a task very few receivers will ever keep up with.

It is true this never happpened with the B&K 307, but then, these same circumstances were never the same with the B&K. Finally, it bears noting that I sold the B&K and I'm keeping the Pioneer. Yes, I did add a dedicated amp to the front mains, but I probably would have done that anyway. The speakers I am using for stereo music really "demand" better amplification than any receiver will offer, no matter whether Denon, Pioneer, B&K, or whatever.

My bottom line, if anyone is looking for a recommendation, is take a serious look at the Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX if you are in the market for a top flight receiver. I have owned a number of top receivers and this is, top to bottom, the best I have ever seen.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
My soon to be Ex Denon 4800 has never clipped, before and after I added seperate amps.... Denon makes truely wonderful recievers!!!!

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Obi,
Have you owned a 5800?
Dale,
Back to the firewire argument...the Denon Link is indeed "proprietary" in that it will only work with the upcoming Denon DVD player...however, it utilizes the same bandwidth as firewire and allows for one wire connection for both audio and video to the receiver. No other manufacturers of DVD players are utilizing a firewire connection because of copyright concerns with the recording industry (especially in the case of DVD-A). Maybe Denon and Mitsubishi are the pioneers of this technology. Mitsubishi with their new "Net Command" feature is doing the same thing. Even though this option is proprietary to Mitsubishi gear, it does the same thing Firewire does, by allowing connection between digital gear with one wire. Denon's new upgrade (for the 5800) also boasts "IEEE 1394 Firewire prepared DSP section, for future upgrade," which suggests to me that when a universal solution has been introduced by all manufacturers, Denon will be able to give us the connectibility.
If you consider me to be a Denon evangelist, so be it. But don't get me wrong...I'm not trying to convince you or anybody else to take advantage of this upgrade. Just trying to get some insight on your complaints of what I consider to be a fair and economical solution offered by Denon to add some things that as hobbyists we would like with our gear.
For me, the selectable bass management is a huge issue and one that I've always envied the B&K camp with. The rest is added bonus, but also brings the receiver up to modern standards. I suppose my argument for you would be, "What other piece of gear is going to give you this flexibility... now and in the future?"
I will never dismiss the 49TX as an inferior piece of gear to the Denon 5800....but if you've already made the choice to get the 5800, why not keep it up to date? This is Pioneer's first true "flagship" offering and I'm sure they've done a fine job....For Denon, however, the 5600 was followed by the 5700, then the 5800 with an upgrade. A proven track record, IMO...
Jeremy
PS...Congrats Canada on the Gold in Hockey...I love the sport and the competition today was top-shelf:)

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,
Sorry my friend, but again I think you may have misread something. I can find no literature from Denon which states that Denon Link will be used to transmit video. I have no doubts that it has the bandwidth to do so, but in its current implementation Denon appears to be using it only for audio. The brochures for the upgrade, the 5803 and the 9000 DVD player all state audio with no mention of video. Yes, it uses LVDS just like Firewire, but be assured, Denon Link is NOT Firewire.
And while I also agree that Firewire is currently of limited use, Denon not only makes the statement for the upgrade, but a similar claim is also part of the original 5800 brochure. The claim that the 5800/Upgrade/5803 are Firewire ready is still just that - a claim. If and when a universal copy protection standard is adopted, it will again require yet another new DSP board, and likely a re-engineering of the video section. I personally have doubts that Denon will offer this, but that remains to be seen.
"What other piece of gear is going to give you this flexibility... now and in the future?"
I think I've already stated it, but since you ask, the Tag McLaren AV192R. Yes, this is a pre/pro and as such isn't directly comparable with our 5800. However it is also upgradeable in a manner that I like - I can pick and choose what options I want, when I want. And yes, it will be more expensive initially, but I believe it will have a longer future. So will the outboard amps I buy to use with it.
Regardless, I won't be purchasing either the AV192R or an external amp any time soon. I'm still trying to save for my new speakers. And to set your fears at rest, I wasn't even considering a switch to the Pioneer VSX-49TX. I was asking about it purely out of curiosity. My 5800 currently meets 90% of my needs, and if I were to replace it, I will most definitely go with separates. As it stands, I love the sound and most of the features of my 5800, but the only portion of the upgrade I'ld find useful is DPL II. I'm even happy with the THX specified 80Hz for my subwoofer crossover.
Basically, and I think we both agree on this, it all comes down to your needs. If you need to have the latest and greatest, and/or the features will help you achieve a better home theater, by all means get it! I'm still considering it, but at the expense of delaying my speaker purchase, all for only DPL II. :frowning:
C'est la vie...
Peace and happy listening! :)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"The claim that the 5800/Upgrade/5803 are Firewire ready is still just that - a claim. "
The cool thing about Denon is that they've been backing up their "claims" with the offer of this upgrade. This makes me very happy to be a 5800 owner, the fact that a follow through is in the works.
A Denon tech in California that I spoke to was the one that told me video will also be sent along with the audio in the Denon Link. Regardless, the upgrade may not be for everyone. DPLII WILL make those hockey games a bit more fun to watch...agreed:)
I'm flying to Vegas tonight, so I won't be responding for a week or so...maybe when I get back, I will also be looking at a new Tag...if I win the big one:)
Peace,
Jeremy

Dale_S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm flying to Vegas tonight, so I won't be responding for a week or so...maybe when I get back, I will also be looking at a new Tag...if I win the big one
If you win the big one, maybe you can donate to the 'buy Dale an upgrade' fund and then you won't have to listen to me complain anymore! :D
Good Luck!
Peace and happy listening! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks