Denon vs Yamaha ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mdwst, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Mdwst

Mdwst Auditioning

Looking for a new 5.1 dts reciever, any input between Denon and Yamaha.

2. Mdwst

Mdwst Auditioning

Looking for new dts 5.1 reciever about 80 to 100 watts.. any inotu on which would be a better choice? Denon or Yamaha?

3. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

of late, the Denons have had "bugs" in their earlier releases of some models.
    Some have speculated that this may be due to the upheaval within the company of late and their desire to turn units to score points with a potential buyer for the newly reborn- merged-amalgamated-conglomeration of them and Marantz (they are now owned buy a holding company with interests other than continuing to operate an audio company)
    ====
    I sell both brands and they both are good, but I have more confidence in and generally prefer the performance of the newer Yamahas.........but you could be happy with either...

4. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Both are quality products for the money. Historically the Yamaha has been described as "bright," and the Denon as "warm." The speakers you're matching them with can also make a difference.

5. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Yamaha's rarely exhibit functional problems when introduced.
    Better reliability record than lesser companies.

6. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

I'll give you a brand spanking newbie opinion, after the Yamaha RXV1300 arrives tomorrow. Oh wait, I better wait till I get my Axiom setup as well. Deal?

7. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

I have owned receivers built by both companies but currently own a 3802. I believe both companies build good receivers but lately we have more Denon owners posting their problems online.
    You will have to audition both to make you choice.
    Welcome to the darkside.[​IMG]

8. WillieM

WillieM Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to disagree with the previous posts but I Find my Denon AVR882 an exceptional reciever. No problems. My AV consultant can supply just about any major brand but for quality, sound and "bang for the buck" he set me up with the Denon. (in the not too far future, I'll be using it as a pre-pro for a Parasound 5ch amp).

9. Craig W

Craig W Second Unit

Your best bet is go to a store that sells both and demo them side by side. Ask if you could try them out in you system at home before you make a decision.

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If you ever have problems that put you dealing directly with the company’s customer service department, you’re better off with Yamaha. Denon employs the largest assemblage of idiots on the East Coast.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

11. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Willie, I’ve been participating on this Forum for almost three years, and I’ve seen many more complaints about Denon than Yamaha.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

12. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I have sold and installed many Denons and have had only one problem over the past few years. Yamaha may have a high reliability rate...or it could be a case of many more Denons are bought than Yamaha (on this forum), so this may skew the numbers somewhat. On a side note, I have had many Sonys fail out of the box on me...and a few Onkyos.

13. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Wayne-
    I have nothing but praise to say about Denon's customer service...even on the East Coast. They have taken care of my problems quickly as a consumer--and were quick in handling the 5800 upgrades also. You may have had a bad experience, and I can understand that leaving a bad taste in your mouth. I can only say that Denon has been quick and thorough to me in numerous instances.

I am sure Yamaha has a solid customer service dept. also. Things are tightening up in the industry though, so cutbacks will be made on the whole.

14. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I have owned a Denon 1802 for a year now with no problems. My neighbor down the hall has had his 3801 for two years with no problem what so ever. EVERY audio component that has ever been mentioned on this forum has rubbed someone the wrong way at some point. With thousands of units being produced of a particular model, there are bound to be some lemons, and this goes for every manufacturer out there. The bottom line is that Denon has overall been very reliable to people I know personally, and MANY happy owners can be found on this very forum. Get the drift?

Reg

15. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I don't think you can go wrong with either Yamaha or Denon. My last three AV amps have been Yamahas, but I wouldn't have any issues with purchasing a Denon. I know several Denon owners and all love their amps. No manufacturer gets it right all the time, but both are very solid manufacturers with excellent reputations for home theatre products.

Adam

16. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

17. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

All things equal (which of course never happens...) I would go Denon. They are simply THE name in HT receivers, the kind of company you "can't go wrong" with.
    --
    Holadem

18. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I used to have a Denon 3802 but I returned it.
    My only complaint was that I had to use the knob on the receiver to change sources.
    I had my DVD player hooked to DVD/Ld and my LD player hooked to satellite.
    It just really bugged me to have to turn the knob each time.
    With my Yamaha I don't have to do this.

19. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

What? The remote can change sources,too.

I would say DENON is afar better company than Yamaha, and I have oened both. Denon is a focused audio company. Yamaha is a huge company that has their toe dipped in everything.

I have always been a fan of denon. I have never had problems, and my 3802 works flawlessly.

20. Willy burz

Willy burz Stunt Coordinator

Get the Denon !! [​IMG] [​IMG]