What's new

Denon vs. seperates Question? (1 Viewer)

JackS

Supporting Actor
Most of us have an opinion of what might be "best".
For myself, I'd prefer a moderate to large amp connected to any mid-priced receiver over any monolithic receiver such as the Denon 5805.
These mega- money devices serve a purpose to those who are content to buy and use as is.
I also have a somewhat simular view of the expensive seperates solution although haven't ruled out this eventuality.
For Denon fans, a 38/4805 would be the processor that I'd mate with a very nice amp and have the feeling that my little set-up would outperform any big flagship receiver of any brand.
You can call this a state of mind or peace of mind but this is what an outboard amp gives me. Weather my opinion has any merit or not, I'll never know. But I do know what I like.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
John-Tompkins, thanks for your response. That is what I was looking for but it seems this thread was hijacked and everyone wanted to get their opinion in concerning amps and this was not a thread regarding amps but whether a high end Denon Receiver would work well as a pre/pro.

I have been auditioning pre/pros and high end receivers to use as pre/pro's. The nice thing about the Denon 5805 and 4806 is the features, connectivity etc that mid to high end seperates can not compete against. So far the receivers are extremely close in sound quality.

JackS, I tend to agree with mating a nice amp with a nice receiver.

I know most people seem to like seperates because of upgradability but it also seems to take these seperates a very long time to upgrade and by then there is something new. Why not buy a high end receiver and use it for a couple of years and then sell it and get the next one.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
The problem with high end receiver's is the initial high cost of "one box" and when you do sell it- if you even manage to do so- you'll get a negligable amount for it. You'll be lucky to sell a £2000 AV amp for £200 in a few years, people just aren't interested in older flagship models, especially if one of the brands that release a flagship model every year or so.

With seperates you just buy poweramps once, and that'll last several HT pre-amp upgrades. And since most poweramps are of better quality in AV amps...seems more logical choice. And if something fails in the av amp you have no audio system- with seperates if one amp blows you'll still have a 4.1 system etc.

I would not buy a top-end av amp.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Dang, and to think I am still very pleased with my lowly outdated 4802.... ;)

I love the sound of the Denon power amps. I'd choose that sound over every other amp out there myself, of course I don't even audition the really high priced stuff. Give my loud brash horns cranked up, and I think I could pick the Denon sound out every time.

I run theater type reference levels often. Pretty much music too. A flagship Denon really could never be considered a bad purchase by any means.

Brian>AM

Auditioning
I had the chance to attend an amp "face-off" in a very controlled environment. Amps ranged from low end (entry level ATI) to extreme high end ($10k Plinius). Amps in between included Bryston, Lexicon, Carver, Gemstone, and a couple others.

End result? Noticeable differences in sound. My favorite was the Lex LX-7. Now, could I pick out each amp in a blind test? Probably not. But overall, they sounded different. Some MUCH better than others.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"As to audiophiles spending (wasting) large amounts of money, yes, they do. Many "audiophiles" are not happy unless they are spending large amounts of money and feel that the only way to improve their system is to have huge sums invested in their system. Such a shame that they don't put as much effort into common sense, education, and research as they do in reaching for their wallet."

No Paul...these people you talk about are statusphiles, not audiophiles, IMHO.

Back to the topic though...

I remember, and you can research my past threads, these arguments when the Denon 5800 was released, and the 5700 before that. I was and am a staunch supporter of the Denon rig. I ended up buying the 5800 (4 years ago, I believe). A year and a half later, I upgraded my digital board to the 5803. To this day...I have no reason to get rid of it. I have since added amplifiers to the mains and center...but the 5800 still powers the rears/back surrounds...and does an ample job.

There is not a SINGLE processor available that will give you the abilities of the 5805. And, when they do become available, you will have enjoyed a year or two with your 5805...with many years in front of you of enjoyment remaining. The abilities of the 5805 transcend all but a few of the products even available today. Seriously, how many of us have a DVI/HDMI DVD player and television right now? How many have THREE DVI source components?

Future proof? No, nothing is...but a ton of enjoyment for the next 5 years, decade? ABSOLUTELY!

Denon is pushing and has been pushing the envelope ever since DVD and HT became the deal in the mid to late 90s. You can't go wrong with their offerings.

That said...the 5805 is expensive, big, and unneccesary in most theater applications. But, if you have multi zone neceesity, the need to biamp speakers, HDMI/DVI needs, etc. maybe this is the one for you. Denon still offers the 5803, the forthcoming 4806, etc.

My point is...after all the dribble I listened to when buying my 5800 vs. buying seperates...I am still enjoying the shit out of my "flagship" receiver.

Peace,

Jeremy

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy

You are 100 % on the money. Corporations like Denon have an R&D budget that other so called highend boutique brands can only dream of.

BTW I had a chance to visit Anchorage last summer, great city, had lots of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks