What's new

Denon vs. Onkyo.. you're valued opinion please! (1 Viewer)

John E F

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Marty because that's exactly what I did. I had them both for about a month in my house. I think the biggest problem with all receivers in this price range is the fact that they are not equal featurewise. For example the Onkyo 797 is THX cert, the Denon 3802 has 7 amplified channels, Yamaha, H/K, Sony ES, etc. I truely think that each at this price point is worth the money, but comparing them to each other isn't apples to apples. Decide first which features you must have, and then compare the sound characteristics. I found the Onkyo 797 to be the winner in the feature department but the Denon 3802 to have a more pleasing sound to me. I kept the Denon but I wouldn't say that "it blew away the Onkyo" or anything like that. Definately demo them in your own house if you can with your speakers. $800 - $1200 is alot of money to spend and not be totally happy with your decision.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
If you are looking to do component switching the 27Mhz of the Denon won't cut it. The component bandwidth is 35Mhz from what I've read. The 797/898 have 50Mhz bandwidth for switching.

I don't know if this is important to you but thought I'd mention it.

Chris Clarno

Agent
Real Name
Christian
Thanks Stephen, yes, component switching (of HD material) is important to me and I have heard that the 27MHz offered by Denon may not cut the mustard. Why would manufacturers include component connections for HD if they aren't actually capable of passing the full signal?

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Purely costs......No other reason. This is one of the reasons I chose the DS797 over the Denon stuff.

There are also those out there who think the Denon doesn't cut it musically. (Not me as my ears aren't that finely tuned) ((too many years in front of a loud guitar amp I guess)) So, if you're planning on listening to music that may be a consideration as well.

Jeffrey,

That price of $1050 shipped from J&R for the 898 sounds unbeatable. Anybody know the best price on the 797?

I hope I can get that $1050 shipped price when I decide on the 898 (90% of the way there, still considering 797). Was there anything/anyone special you needed to ask for to get the $1050 price?

Thanks,

Curtis

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
I spoke with Todd at J and R but I imagine you could get that price from anyone. Maybe a few dollars more depending on stock levels. The trick to getting a good price is to be ready to buy. If you are just price shopping they are less likely to give you their rock bottom price then if you are ready to read your credit card numbers.

Thanks,

Jeff

Scott Holt

Agent
The only way to know for sure is to go audition them. I had the 919thx from onkyo for 5-6years and loved it. I wanted to upgrade to 7.1 and thought about 989, 898, and 4802 from Denon. I auditioned many including B&K 307, Sony(Yuck) and the 2 above mentioned. They all sounded great exluding the sony but (I) liked the sound of the Denon. I am not saying it sounded better I am saying I liked its sound better. There is a difference. What I am also saying is you had better listen to it first and decide for yourself, because you won't be disappointed with any of these. Don't listen to any of us as many people are biased because they bought it so they want you to. CHOOSE for yourself. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks