denon vs. NAD- opinions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron_Smith, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Aaron_Smith

Aaron_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,
    I'm building my first real multichannel home theater setup. I managed to find all the other speakers to compliment a pair of PSB alpha A/V's I had... now for the receiver. The system will be used about 50/50 for music/TV, I've got a Sony 27" WEGA set... so. My choices are the following:

- a used denon 3300 from an authorized dealer for $595. He has offered a 1 year warranty on the product.
    - an NAD 751 for $430, brand new.

My big question is, how necessary is the component video switching? Will I be able to notice the difference in picture quality between component and s-video on my relatively small set?
    Audio quality is by far the most important criteria for me. Right now I'm leaning towards the NAD because I've had good experiences with the NAD/PSB matchup, it's new, it's cheaper, and a little simpler for the wife to use. However, if it were your choice-- what would you do?

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

New NAD receivers are due out any time now. I myself am waiting to see the new NAD T752 and T762 receivers. I'd wait a month to see what comes out, unless your store will let you pay for and "borrow" a T751 or T761 until the T752 or T762 comes out and you can swap em.
    Component switching is not essential for me because I only have one thing component, and thats my DVD player. My others are S-Video LD and SVHS. I don't think I'll have a huge need for component switching as my next step is a Panasonic AE100 projector, so that'll only need VGA from the iscan and I'll use S-video from my LD, DVD and SVHS so I'm ok. For you it might be different. What are you switching?
    Either way, I'd wait to check out the NAD T752. Its gonna be out soon (within a month I hope) so ask your dealer, as much as they'll hate you being aware of a newer model (cause then the older T751 is harder to sell).
    good luck [​IMG]
    I have a Marantz SR 6200 receiver with PSB speakers and it sounds nice but I may be swapping for an NAD receiver [​IMG]

3. ChristopherT

ChristopherT Agent

I am also interested in the new models. Here is NAD's response to an email I sent them...

The T752 is due to arrive sometime in August, when information will become available.

Thank you again for your interest.

John Milder for NAD"

Talking with a local NAD dealer, the T752 & T762 models are going to be a bit more expense than the T751/T761.

Cheers

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

True enough. I heard that they were coming out in July and have been watching the website since I heard word of the newer models in April. Every day I check the frickin website. I guess all we can do is wait.

5. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

NAD it's just that easy.[​IMG]

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

True, I would go with NAD before Denon regardless of what NAD is bringing out.

7. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

A used denon 3300 for $595? That's priced pretty high, considering new they were selling for about little over $600 at the end of their cycle. Plus you have to worry about potential cooling fan problems. If I were you, I would get the NAD. Or maybe consider a new Denon.

8. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Definately go for either a newer Denon or the NAD. New 3802s sell for 699 plus shipping from 6ave.com, so $595 for 3300 is pretty steep. I would get the Nad and forget about the denon.

9. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

For that price you can easily get a used 3802.

Just my .02cents

10. Aaron_Smith

Aaron_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input everyone. Just to update, I went with the NAD T751 over the Denon and I'm happy with my purchase. The audio quality is quite good and it's a simple, elegant machine to work with (once I figured out how to program the damned remote into my sony universal). What it lacks in flexibility (bass management, delay options) it gains in simplicity and great sound- I'm happy. I cannot notice any difference between s-video and component video on my (relatively small) TV. I also hooked up the fronts with a very nice 2 channel AKSA kit amp that I built last year and, while it was a noticeable improvement, I'm actually kinda shocked at how good the NAD's amps sound.