What's new

Denon vs. Marantz (1 Viewer)

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
How do Denon A/V receivers compare to Marantz A/V receivers? I have the Klipsch Reference Series 7 speakers, which do you think is the better match?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Either should do just fine. Both manufacturers produce quality products. If the speaker's sensitivity is a good match to the receiver's output, then you're doing just fine. It all boils down to which unit has the features and processing capabilities you want.

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
By the way, how would the sound of a Denon AVR-5803 and a Marantz SR9200 compare to a Parasound HCA-1205A?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

They recently merged, under the same holding company, it's called D&M holdings (for Denon & Marantz). Now, I'm sorta confused, because I thought Marantz was owned by philips, but maybe that was a little while ago. AT this point they remain totally separate as far as I know, and there's a press release about this on Maratntz's website somewhere, and probably also on Denon's, in case you want more info.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
How many sets of 7.1 analogue in's do you need,
cause denon has 2 incase you have both a dvd-a and an sacd player. i'm not sure about others.

peter m.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 3803 and have auditioned the Marantz as well both IMO have a very nice warm sound. However you mention the 5803. For that kind of $ you may want ot have some fun and go out shopping for seperates!

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Jeff's point is well taken, they don't give this thing away.
I have the upgraded 5800 which is a huge sonic leap from my beginners system, Onkyo 575 which i still like and have moved to another room, and have read several reviews (which i think you should do also) on the 5803.

the HT magazines i have read say that the Denon 5803 is equivilant to all but the HIGHEST END SEPARATES, not low, not middle but highest. I guess everything is relative but since personally i can't afford or perhaps even appreciate the highest end separates, this baby does everything imaginable (assuming we can understand and work with the manual, it's one of the worst) I'm learning new stuff all the time.

happy hunting,
peter m.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I believe only the 5803 has 2 sets of inputs. BTW, I did demo a 5803 at my dealer and it seemed to run out of gas in DD/DTS 5.1 while being compared to the HK AVR8000. I always felt that the 5803 was waaay overpriced and you can get better results by adding an external amp to a 3803 (same processing as the 5803) or go the seperates route altogether. $4000+ is a lot of money to be spending on a receiver by itself.
As far as Marantz vs. Denon? These this vs. that threads don't mean much IMHO because people that are "used to" Denon or Marantz sound will say Denon or Marantz is better and they would be right as sound is pretty relative.
These days even a $250 receiver comes with all current processing formats so processing is not even an issue for comparing the 2 brands in question.
You should go out and audition for yourself and look for subtleties in sound from both Denon and Marantz and make an educated decision. But, having said that, my vote goes to the Denon between the 2 brands :D

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
How much does the Marantz SR8200 and Marantz SR7300 cost? Which do you think will be better for the Klipsch Reference Series 7 speakers?

By the way, many people say Marantz is better than Denon for music. Is this true? Are they both pretty much equal for home theater?

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Peter I agree that the 5803 is my dream rcvr. But does it really compare to a nice 4K separate system (rotel 1066 & 1095 with a few bucks in the bank)? I can't answer that as every ones ears are different. But I can say this is an awesome hobby:emoji_thumbsup:

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
My problem is that I cannot audition here, that's why I am asking your opinions.

By the way, when will the Parasound HCA-1205A's replacement be out?

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Nick,
Your absoloutly right about one thing, the 5803 is a significant investment.
I do not have experience with separates but recent reviews ih HT magazines said that the 5803 would be very close to HIGHEND SEPARETES, not low end or mid end.

audioeden.com is a canadian site for new and used av equipment. there is presently a Denon 5800 available for $2795.00cdn from canadianhighfi.com which can be had for $2500.00cdn. if you add the $800.00us upgrade cost to 5803 status but i think it's a great deal.

One of the features that's important to me is the 5800/5803 has 2 sets of analogue in's, so i can connect both a dvd-a and an sacd player without a separate switcher.
Yes i know there comming out with good combi players as we speak for about $1000us. but that will bring the price of existing sacd players and be cause the 5800/03 is one of few that has 2 inputs i can experience great savings right there.

BTW i run 2 pair of 4ohm Totem model 1 speakers all day wihout any problem. actually i run 3 pair of surrounds. at 170w per ch this thing has lots of juice.

I know it's a big decision, but by doing you homework you're liable to get what's right for you.

goodluck
peter m.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Hmmmmmm.

Haris, I don't think receivers have a "sound", which is anything but the party-line around here. I agree w/ Jack: if the receiver's output matches well with your speakers' sensitivity, and the receiver has the features you need/want, then it's the right receiver.

I don't put much stock in this "Denon sound" versus "Marantz sound" business. Give me a Denon receiver, and the wrong speakers, the wrong room treatments, etc, and I'll make it sound lousy.

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Haris

The thing to remember is that both the Marantz 9200 and
Denon 4802 and 5803 are not built like your run of the mill
receivers . One look under the hood should be enough to
convince you these are high end machines and wont have any problems making your speakers sing.

Robert

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
As part of any comparison please find below the lab results taken of the HOME CINEMA CHOICE web site (uk) for the Denon 5803

Manufactures rated output on 5803
(20--20khz, 8ohms, 0.05%thd)

Measured power output @1khz 189.9w (8ohm, 0.18%thd); 308.9w
(4ohm, 0.18%thd

Fidelity Firewall:183.3.7w @ 0.04%thd (8ohm)

Distortion @ 50w: 0.00215(8OHM) 1KHZ

fREQUENCY RESPONSE 20-20KHZ +-0.14DB

When comparing, these figures may prove useful.
Also Denon has 2 sets of analogue in's and Dolby Headphone which giver me 2 extra hrs of movie time at nite,

peter m.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I think there isnt a real winner in Marantz Vrs Denon, both companies are very good. There are only consumers preferences, I personally like more marantz, but my best friend likes more Denon.

I think Denon offers more for the money, it has a lot of features that you get them in a cheapper pricerange, and marantz has being said to have a more musical side than the others, but at the end the only thing that matters is your ears and your wallet, with this hobby theres no end at the upgrades and options you can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks