What's new

Denon vs Harman Kardon receivers (1 Viewer)

Ed_B

Auditioning
I was thinking about buying a H/K receiver, either the 325 or 525 H/K. I just got a crutchfield catalog yesterday and saw the denon receivers, how does the H/K 325 compare to the denon 2803? Both are the same price in the catalog.

I been reading on here about the H/K 7200, is their any place that you can still buy them new and how much are they?

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
The 7200 I believe you might be able to find for $1000 if you look in the right places, and it is an awesome reciever. As for the HK 325 or 525 I think they are both better than 2803... the amplifiers I think are alot better as well.

Yogi

Screenwriter
They both sound different Denon leaning more towards neutral sounding while the HK sounding a little on the warm side. Both have their strong points. Denon IMHO is slightly better built (in Japan) than the HK (in Taiwan?). With the right speakers they both sound fantastic. Powerwise they are both at par even thought HK rates their receivers conservatively lower than comparable Denons.

Best of luck.

P.S. Some one sooner or later is going to jump in this thread and say all amps sound the same so I would advise you to do your own auditioning in your own room before making a judgement.

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I though only the high-end Denons were made in Japan, the rest somewhere else. Didn't it used to be the 3801 and above?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In terms of sound, I opt for H/K and Marantz over Denon. In terms of power and processing, it's a toss up. Each uses different DACs, which WILL yeild a slightly different sound.

but I though only the high-end Denons were made in Japan
I'm not sure about Denon, but I am fairly certain Marantz does this with their higher models.

dale^g

Stunt Coordinator
i thought the HK's weren't made in 3rd world countries anymore because of all the QC problems they were having. might be wrong but i've read HK's are now made BY HK...in their own factories and thus the QC problems have pretty much been kept to a minimum.

as far as processing the denon probably has the edge.

as far as the amp goes the HK DEFINATLY has the edge.

IMBO of course!

Kevin L K

Second Unit
If H/K were assembling their own receivers in their own factories the price on the receivers would AT LEAST triple in cost. One of the reasons electronic components cost what they do(among a million other reasons)is because of cheap foreign labor.

Yogi

Screenwriter
I think the Denon 28XX models and above are all made in Japan while all of HK except perhaps their flagship are made in China. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Thomas Nichols

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I own an H/K. I love the Denon lines as well. I think they are both very good. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I would just look for features you like and buy that receiver.

Oh yeah, you might want to listen to them and decide which you like better. ;)

Ed_B

Auditioning
Thanks for the info guys

I'll have to see if there is any place around here that sell the denon's so I could go listen to one, I did hear the HK's over the weekend at circuit city. I'll probably just go with one of the HK's, really liked the way they sounded with the infinity alpha's.

How long has the HK 7200 been on the market?

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Ed,

They are really similar in sound, one is not vastly superior in any way to the other. I own an HK 520 and a friend has the Denon 3801 (or whichever is the 520 counterpart.) The HK is a little warmer than the denon, but the logic 7 (in the HK) is a very nice sound mode. Given a choice right now I would go for the denon because I like a more neutral sound, but I certainly wasn't unhappy with the HK. Both companies make some really nice value priced receivers, don't stress on which one to get.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
"Well, I own an H/K. I love the Denon lines as well. I think they are both very good. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I would just look for features you like and buy that receiver."

I am exactly as above with the following additional points:

The 2803 and 525 are not in the same league. The 525 has much more available power and 2-channel music is fantastic. I had a 520 and upgraded just this week. The 520 was better than the 2803 (musically) and the 525 is a least a step above that. For people that like the warm sound of the HK's it is really difficult to buy anything else at it's price point, which is under $600 at onecall.com including shipping(but I got mine at Costco).

Denon has had a big advantage in quality control, but they also have their problems. That's not to say they are bad, just not faultless. Still, the higher end models appear (based only on what I've read in the forums) more reliable than even the higher end HK's. If I had to choose between an HK 525 and a Denon 3803 (for similar price) I'd take the Denon. At Circuit City's list of $799.99, it's about $200 cheaper than the Denon (available at thegoodguys.com with no tax or shipping charges). The audio processing, video processing, and the remote are all better in the 3803. If I was going to spend the $800, I'd spend the $1000 for the Denon instead. At $600 to $700, I would stick with the HK.

All this is just IMHO, based on my experiences and what I've read in the forums.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
My 2803 says made in Japan on the back. Go to www.crutchfield.com and look at the xl back view of the Denon 2803, it's right there. Do a search for H/K and you will find they have had some reliability issues lately.

dale^g

Stunt Coordinator
Do a search for H/K and you will find they have had some reliability issues lately.
the 325/525/7200 series have no such QC problems that their older cousins had. they're not perfect (what man made object is besides SVS) but they are built like a brick sh*thouse!

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I'll probably just go with one of the HK's, really liked the way they sounded with the infinity alpha's.
No surprise really, Harman Kardon and Infinity are both owned by Harman International, so it's more than likely that the Infinity (and JBL) speakers are designed using H/K amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks