What's new

Denon USA has put up the specs for the upgrade kit for the 5800. (1 Viewer)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Go to the www.denon.com and look in the product catalog under Dolby Digital, DTS & THX A/V Receivers and you'll see the upgrade kit just below the 5800 RS-232 Control Protocols.
It appears the SRP for $800 and includes one way shipping with new box and packing and can only be done at Denon Electronics Service which we already knew and it does definitively mention the new Burr-Brown DAC's with DSD compatibility even though the PDF spec sheet it has linked does not so Oliver was right. It appears to be available starting in February 02.
Here's the text below:
Hardware upgrade for AVR-5800 • DSP Board/Back Panel Upgrade for AVR-5800 • Adds to the Surround Sound Decoding already in the AVR-5800: THX Ultra2 Processing; Lucasfilm Home THX Cinema 4.0, 5.1 and 6.1ES post-processing; dts 96/24 for 5.1 DVD-Video; Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Headphone • DVD-Audio decoding with Adjustable Digital Bass Management, Delay, Channel Levels and Tone Controls - when connected to DVD-9000 with DENON Digital Link • New dual Analog Devices Hammerhead SHARC 32-bit Floating Point Processors • 16 Burr-Brown PCM-1738E 24-bit, 192-kHz highest resolution DACs, with DSD compatibility - each audio channel operating in differential mode • ALPHA 24 Processing Plus in Stereo/Direct/Pure Direct modes (left/right channels) processing via SHARC DSP • 4 24 bit,192 kHz Digital Interface Receivers • 11(5 Coax, 6 Opt.) assignable digital inputs • 8 Channel Digital External Inputs • DENON Digital Link, for connection to DVD-9000 • IEEE 1394 Firewire prepared DSP section, for future upgrade • Upgrade to be performed ONLY by DENON Electronics Service • Includes one-way return shipping with new box and packing • Service Part KAVR5803E3 • Available February '02 • SRP $800
Most excellent news.
Patrick

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
UNNN-FRIIIGGGGIN'-REAL!!!!

I love that. Now that there is an official announcement, I am a very happy 5800 owner. Also, a very happy Denon owner no matter the product. This is a very cool step for receiver manufacturers...which hopefully will bleed into the $3-$5k pre/pro market as well.

We all know how fast computers can become obsolete and since that's what we're dealing with in digital receivers, I am happy to hand out $500-$1000 every other year to bring my equipment up-to-date.

Thank-you Denon....you've again stepped up to the plate with this offering.

Jeremy

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"• 4, 24 bit,192 kHz Digital Interface Receivers "

Anybody know what these are? Just curious if they are new type of input or something like a high resolution coax input....hmmm? I'm stumped.

Jeremy

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
boy... starting to wonder if I should've forked out the extra dough and gotten a 5800 instead of a 4802. :frowning:

PatrickM

Screenwriter
"• 4, 24 bit,192 kHz Digital Interface Receivers "
Jeremy,

I believe what these are, are part of the 5 digital coax inputs you see on the upgrade board. Four of them are part of this Digital Interface Receiver. Since each coax input is a 2 channel 24/192 receiver you can coordinate having four 2 channel 24/192 inputs and the digital interface receiver will allow you to receive on all four at the same time giving you 8 channels of 24/192 capable decoding at once for a 7.1 digital input without firewire or Denon Link.

That's what I gleened from the info I've seen so far.

Patrick

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks Patrick,
That's pretty cool, considering the standard high resolution connector hasn't been implemented. It will also help if using equuipment NOT made by Denon, since the link is proprietary. This news is incredibly exciting. I was always optimistic about an upgrade, but it seems like I never truly thought it would happen...today is a very good day:)
Jeremy

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Thanks good news,,

However,,I am so happy with my Denon 5800 right now that I will just pass on the upgrade.

Don't need it.

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Just Kidding!!:):):).....
Awesome :eek: is all I can say.
I agree,, to spend $1,000 every year to update my
equipment to the latest technologies is the best upgrade that anyone could ever ask for.
Smart move on Denon's part.
This program is going to sell Denon
many flagship receivers going forward.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Trevor,

I figured you had to be kidding. Of all the additions the 16 new Burr-Brown DAC's with DSD capability are making me salivate. I can't wait to hear this thing in two channel mode with 8 DAC's per channel.

Now if Denon would only drop the price on the DVD-9000 DVD player with Denon Link I'd be even happier.

Patrick

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Now if Denon would only drop the price on the DVD-9000 DVD player with Denon Link I'd be even happier. "
As history goes, the 9000 should be available soon after release on-line for 2/3 the MSRP...should put it right around $2k. I have never purchased a Denon product off the internet, but I may think about it real hard with the 9000 in mind. However, the 3800 looks pretty enticing too. I'm having a hard time figuring out the difference between the two...except the obvious, the 9000 weighs almost 40 pounds and is THX Ultra certified:)
Yeah, Trevor....made me curious for a second there. I am very happy with my 5800...but if it can get any better, I'm all for it.
Jeremy

Chip E

Screenwriter
Denon also has a brand new consumer warning regarding unauthorized dealers. Taken directly from Link Removed :
"CONSUMER ALERT: The warranty on DENON Electronics products is NOT VALID if the products have been purchased from an unauthorized dealer/E-Tailer or if the original factory serial number has been removed, defaced or replaced in any way. Recently DENON Electronics has become aware of numerous instances in which such serial number tampering has occurred. Unauthorized dealers/E-Tailers and/or their suppliers frequently alter the serial numbers in an effort to prevent manufacturers from tracing the supplier source. DENON Electronics sells products through authorized retail/E-Tail channels to insure that consumers obtain quality pre-sale and after-sale support and service. PROTECT YOUR WARRANTY. Buy from an authorized DENON Electronics dealer/E-Tailer. Check the unit and its packaging to determine whether the factory serial number may have been altered. If in doubt, call DENON Electronics at (973)396-0810."

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Trevor,

Thanks for the info. Did the rep saying anything about sites to send it to? I'm guessing its only the one in Ontario.

Patrick

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Hi Patrick.

The hadn't finalized that as of yet.

There will be one location in Canada

and two in the USA in which the receivers would need to be sent to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks