Denon Specs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Russell _T, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

I was interested in the thread regarding specs before it degenerated and had to be closed. Some of the discussion had merit. While I personally have no interest in the receivers discussed on that thread, I am interested in Denon, and it made me take a close look at their specs. What I found is interesting. Here is a quote from one of their fact sheets on the 2802. It is word for word, and pertains to the lower models as well, but I don't know if it applies to any higher models.

"All six power amplifier channels provide equal power output devices, and all six amplifier channels provide equal power with the lowest distortion. Each channel is rated at 90 watts, into 8 ohms, from 20hz to 20 khz with no more than 0.05% THD. A hallmark of Denon A/V component design, the equal power amplifier provides outstandingly accurate reproduction of motion picture soundtracks and multi channel music programs."

Nowhere on the fact sheet does it claim to make it's rated power with all channels driven. It also says:

"Fully discrete, equal power six amplifer channels."
    Front 90 W+ 90W (8 ohms, 20hz-20khz, 0.05% THD
    Center 90 W "
    Surround 90W + 90W "
    Surround back 90W + 90W "

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hello Russell,

IMO most manufacturers use slippery descriptions of their power including Denon. At least Denon has not been found to be lacking as of yet in any model tested thus far. By lacking I mean the disgraceful drop to 50% or less of advertised power.

But you are right to read the specs CAREFULLY. In one description it can seem as if the rating is continuous power for all channels driven but it does not say that exactly. Only H/K, NAD, Rotel, and a few others do rate continuous power all channels driven 20Hz-20kHz. And the power IS THERE.

3. Jon W (NoVA)

Jon W (NoVA) Stunt Coordinator

The Denon 2802 is on the ratesvac page ... S&V pegged the 2802 at 61Wx6 compared to Denon's 90Wx6 rating.

It's power supply is rated at 5A according to Crutchfield's back panel photo, which should be 5Ax120V or 600 VA, which is something on the order of 510W.

90x6 would require 540W which falls right between our W and our VA rating not leaving any room for inefficiency or powering the electronics.

4. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

May I add, the 2802 is 74w x 5, not bad based on it's price.

5. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Does anyone know what the actual rate is for the 1602 X5? it is not listed on the S&V rate list.
    The point I was making about Denon is that while they aren't listing the actual delivered wattage X5 or whatever, they are very careful in not lying about it either, although you have to read carefully to realize it.

6. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Russell,
    You could settle for the Denon'd 90 rated and 61 real, or go for Sony's 100 rated and get 31 real. IMO Denon does fudge their ratings but only companies like Mark Levinson and the like don't fudge their ratings. The Denon is a good receiver, I'd spring for it.