What's new

Denon Shutdown? (1 Viewer)

Aristides

Agent
A few weeks ago I bought a Sanus vertical rack NF-206 and relocated all of my equipment on it. My Denon-3300 is on the bottom shelf.

Yesterday and today a problem arose...while watching sat with said receiver producing the sound, it shut down automatically.

I have not checked if for some reason my GF hit a sleep function, but when manually turned back on it would work for 5-10 minutes and then shut down again.

I thought that it may have been overheating, but this rack provides 100% more ventilation than what it resided in before.

Any ideas?

If it is overheating, I was thinking of hitting the Shack to buy a small (computer) fan and wiring that up somehow for added cooling. Any suggestions for a quiet fan? How would I wire this in?

Thanks,
Aristides

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
How much space btwn the top of the Denon and the shelf above it? The shelf might generally be more open, but if it's more confined above the receiver than in your previous setup, that might be the culprit. Otherwise, no idea.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The very first thing I would check is all your connections. You may have shorted out a speaker output.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'll second John's opinion: you have a loose thread of copper causing a short. Since you just re-wired your system to put it in the new rack, this almost confirms it.

If you cannot find the short, try disconnecting all but the center speaker and listen for a few minutes. If there is no problem, hook up each speaker one at a time and listen for 10 minutes at moderate-high volume between each. This should help you narrow it down.

Note: the problem COULD be at the speaker end. Moving the receiver could have pulled/loosened the connection at the speakers. Examine the front 3 speaker connections carefully.

The banana plugs from Radio Shack (2xx-306) make it easy to do a neat wire job. They have dual-bananas, but these stick out and I believe Denon's have different spacing on their binding posts. (but they work great for behind the speakers.)

Give this a try and let us know what you discover.

Aristides

Agent
:emoji_thumbsup:

I hadn't even considered that. I did some looking and didn't see any faults but tweaked the cables anyway. It must have been the problem, since doing so has eliminated the shut-down issues.

I can now rest easy and enjoy the new set-up!

Thanks!
Aristides

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks