What's new

Denon Recievers (1 Viewer)

Jon Cheung

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, just wanted to hear your input on Denon receivers. I'm thinking on getting one in the future so I want to know how you guys feel about them. If you had any bad experiences with them please share, I want to know how good the quality is. Thanx.

Oscar_R

Second Unit
I own the 2802, and couldn't be happier. It all depeneds on your budget though. You will find many Denon aficionados on this board. Which model where you interested in?

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
I have carried the line for years and owned many of their products and have been pleased with them, but lately there are 2 reason that I give 'em a closer looking at:
1.) lower-end models lack the balls and control on anything remotely resembling a difficult load.
2.) Bugs and reliability issues ,though not incredibly widespread, have been more prevalent of late.

I would still give them VERY WORTHY consideration and demo opportunities , but I have begun to run them a little more carefully through their paces before I climb onboard their new model's bandwagon...

StaceyWoolsey

Auditioning
I have recently bought a 3801 and love it. I would have liked to buy a newer higher end one but just too expensive when you can get the 3801 for $500 used and the 3801 for about $650. They sound unbelievable!! I am truly satisfied with my buy and will be a while before I upgrade.

ricky ho

Stunt Coordinator
Had a 3802 for over a year. No problems with unit. I thought it was a great bargain for all the features it has.Only sold it because i got into separates.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I bought my 883 from NXGen - which was featured in your link. The only difference is the number on the front of the receiver and the warranty (883 = 1 year warranty, 1803 = 2 year warranty.) Both share the same user manual.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I auditioned the 3802 and was not impressed for the MSRP price. HT seemed to be quite good, but music was a bit of a disappointment, even with speakers that I like (NHT, a little on the bright side, but accurate). This may have been somewhat attributable to the source, which was a Pioneer Elite DVD player, but I am certain it was via digital so I was hearing the 3802s DACs. The demo was brief, but I used my own CDs.

I still respect Denon, and would not have a problem recommending them, but they would not be my personal first choice.

Jon Cheung

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, thanx for you replys. For Oscar, I was looking at the 1802 and 1803. Anyone have good experiences with these recievers? And I had a question for Matt, which are the lower end units you are talking about and how do they lack the balls? Thanx guys!

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jon:

I agree with Matt. Up against the Yamaha 630, the 1803 just didn't have enough oomph in 2-channel stereo or in 5.1 theater when I compared the two recently.

--AM

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Jon,

I own a Denon 1802 and it does not appear to lack any power in a small to medium room. I couldn't be happier, eventhough I will be selling it next month when I pick up the new 3803. I personally have never liked the sound of the cheaper Yamaha's for music reproduction.

Reg

Dee_L

Auditioning
This may sound like a stupid question, but what is the difference between the 3802 and the 1082?

Marc Hollins

Auditioning
I recently bought the 1803 and I love it. I use it primarily for HT. It has no problem powering my Paridigm Monitor 3's, ADP-170's, and CC-170. I think the sound is phenomenal. My only complaint is the ugly remote, but that is easily fixed with a universal.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Korey

Auditioning
I've had the 3802 since Feb. Only one complaint regarding dvd video sinal loss when running a composite connection through the 3802. Hope to have this looked at soon. No one seems to have encountered this problem. For the cash paid I am a bit dissapointed.

My $0.02 worth.

NeilKn

Grip
We have tried the Denon 1803, the Onkyo TX-SR600, and the Yamaha 630 in house using JBL S-Center, N38II Fronts, and N24II Surrounds. The 1803 has the clearest sound of the 3. The Yamaha was reasonably clear, but harsh sounding, too bright I believe is the term in HT. The Onkyo, was a bit clearer than the Yamaha, about equal to the 1803, but a bit brighter as well. The 1803 provided a good clear sound, the dialog in center being easy to understand, and still be a full sound, warmer according to the terminology used here. The Denon won out and is the keeper for us. The remote is the ugliest and takes some getting used to, but is getting more comfortable with time. We also found the Denon 1803 to be the most versatile ... offering more flexibility in the way of user settings, fine tuning to your preferences. It was also the one I liked least out of the box, and ended up liking the best with use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks