What's new

Denon Recievers - 2 Lines? (1 Viewer)

Gord Simpson

Auditioning
I've been interested in Denon recievers (amoung others), wondering what the differences are in what appears to be two seperate Denon lines.

Line one appears to be AVR-##06 (Examples: AVR-4806, AVR-1706)
Line two appears to be AVR-#86S (Examples: AVR-686S, AVR-786S)

I can't figure out what the key is that makes one an AVR-##06 or an AVR-#86S. Anyone got an answer? And is one line more desirable then the other?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Some manufactures use different model numbers for near or identicle receivers depending on where the unit is sold. 1706 for units sold in higher end stores like Magnolia HiFi and 286 in stores like Best Buy and Frys, which recently started carrying the #86 line. There may be some minor differences as well so look closely. Yamaha also does this.

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
It could be for the color of the unit: silver.

Go to the Denon website. They have pictures, manuals, etc.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Color is designated by an S, so that's not it AFAIK. Not even sure you can get the #86 versions in silver. Gene is correct. One difference is often the warranty included, the ones sold at bigger chain stores usually getting a lesser warranty.

Gord Simpson

Auditioning
Thanks for the input guys.

Comparing the AVR-786S to the AVR-1906 they look almost identicle. Same weight and size. Only difference I can find on the spec sheet is the 'Pre-amp Outputs for Multi-Zone'. I was worried the differences were under the surface like substandard power plants in the x86S series or something critical like that.

Unless someone knows otherwise I'll go on the assumption that they are equal in quality with the model numbers differentiating the dealer base.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks