Denon reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew BW, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Matthew BW

Matthew BW Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone have any experience with the denon 982. I am looking for a replacment for my kenwwod vr 507. The specs I have read seem pretty good but I cant find any reference to it on denons website. It will be driving wharfedale diamond 8.1's. The keenwood just seems a little underpowered. The denon is rated at 135 watts a 6 ohm's which is what these spaekers are.

2. BrianRM

BrianRM Auditioning

Matthew
    Denon has two lines of products: home audio and specialty audio. I have compared the units and they are identical. The difference is where they are sold and the Specialty units compare with a 1 year warranty instead of 2. Also look at the new 1803 or 883. It's spec's/features are almost as good and in some areas better than the 2802/982 and sells for much less.
    Denon Home Audio
    Denon Specialty Audio
    If buying from an authorized dealer is not important
    www.nxgenstore.com offers the specialty line for very competitive prices.
    1082 - $651.00 delivered
    982 - $459.00 delivered
    883 - $327.00 delivered
    Please note that I have not purchased from this store and they are not an authorized dealer of Denon product which voids the warranty.

3. Anthony.Lin

Anthony.Lin Stunt Coordinator

whoa those are some nice prices.. i got my 1802 refurbed off of eBay for about $305... would've spent an extra 20 to get 1803 new

4. Matthew BW

Matthew BW Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info and link.

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

So, even the 883, 982 & 1082 receivers need to be purchased from an authorized retailer to get the warranty? I thought the purpose of those receivers was so that other retailers could sell them at a competitive price point and no necessarily have to fall under the same rules as the sales of the 1083, 2802 and 3802. Am I wrong in this assumption?

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Actually, there is a small error with the pricing quoted for NXGen. They do offer free shipping on purchases over $200. However, there is a weight limit of 16 Lbs. for the free shipping, so most receivers would never qualify for the free shipping. However, their ground rates are pretty cheap - in my example that I ran through, a 26 Lb. receiver would cost a little under $12.00 to ship via FedEx Ground delivery.

7. BrianRM

BrianRM Auditioning

Denon posts a warranty warning for both their home and specialty line saying that you must purchase from an authorized dealer. I have brought pricing from unauthorized online stores in to authorized dealers and they are always willing to negotiate. For example, I was able to get ABC Warehouse in MI (who is a Denon Authorized dealer) to come down to 746 (from 999) one the 1082 after presenting the online pricing.

I do not know how Denon would prove I did not buy it from an Authorized dealer if I told them I received it as a gift. And if they truly wanted to control the channel and only have their products sold at authorized dealers they would. Good examples are Rotel and Paradigm. Try finding these products new online.

Good luck with your decision and don't hesitate to negotiate with local dealers in your area or by calling 6ave.com