denon reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by justin_troness, Jan 18, 2003.

1. justin_troness

For the last month i've been trying to decide if i should get a cheap 6.1 reciever. The problem is I don't think my living room is big enough for it. So i decided maybe i should get a better 5.1 reciever. In town they have a shop that sells all the new denon recievers, so I'm wondering if i should go with the denon avr-1603? I currently have a kenwood vr-507 an I'm wondering if that would be a big improvement as far as home theater sound goes.

2. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

I can't tell you what to buy but I can tell you I have a Denon 1802 and I am totally impressed with this receiver. The question was To upgrade to 6.1 or get a better 5.1. You may be able to let the dealer allow you to demo the 1603 on your own system which would be the only way tell if are getting any bang for your buck. But on buying a cheap 6.1 I would not go that route. I think the Denon 1803 would the route I would go for an upgrade as it is only $100 retail more than the 1603. The 1803 has alot more packed into it.
    Also give the Marantz and Onkyo a look.

3. Bo D.

Bo D. Extra

Ian what do you consider a cheap 6.1 receiver? Just wondering [​IMG]

4. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

Bo,

As I live in Canada the Denon 1803 list price is $910 which you should be able to get for the $800 range (for me that's not a small amount of change). I could get a Kenwood VR-6050 $450 or the VR-6060 $600. The Sony STRDE 985 goes for $680. They will all handle rear CC. I don't think they all have sixth amp. to power the other channel. The Marantz SR-4300 would down in $650 to $750 range and that has 6 channels powered at 80 watts.

5. Glenn Mcc

Glenn Mcc Extra

I purchased the Denon 1803 for $326.00 at tweeter. The matched an internet price I found. Whoever priced it at $900.00 is smoking crack!!!!!!!!!

6. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

7. Ian_A

Ian_A Agent

Glen,
    The $910.00 was Canadian (which is about $2.49 in the States [​IMG] )and was Denon Suggested retail as quoted on there site (see link below). I also said you should be able to get it for in around the $800.00. We are not as blessed in Canada with all the online retailer that are in the US.
    http://www.denon.ca/haline/hapro01.html

8. Iver

Iver Second Unit

The 1603 is a nice receiver. I own the 1602 and am very happy with it.

But it's not really a big jump up from the Kenwood.

You would probably start to notice more of a difference going to something like the AVR-2802 or the new AVR-2803. And you would notice a substantial difference with the new AVR-3803.

Remember, you have to multiply amplifier output by 10 to create a perceived doubling of volume level.

To get a good sense of the actual amplifier output of your Kenwood or any of these other receivers, note its rated current consumption in Amps (listed on a little plaque on the back of the Denons and also on the Denon pdf information sheets at the Denon Web site). To compare one receiver to another, divide its Amperage consumption number by the receiver's number of output channels.

9. Babek

Babek Stunt Coordinator

Don't get the sony or kenwood, believe me!!

If you want increased sound quality, go for denon or onkyo. And I live in Canada also and can find ways to deal with owners to reduce to price noticably. You just have to talk.

Good luck finding a receiver.