What's new

Denon Reciever Monitor 1 vs Monitor 2 HDMI outputs (1 Viewer)

Michael Radisch

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Radisch
Gday guys,
I have a Denon X4000, and when I use the Monitor 1 HDMI output to my projector, all I get is sound no picture for most inputs (for some reason Foxtel works but the media player, fetch box dont get picture).
But, if I use the Monitor 2 output everything works fine, picture and sound.
Anyone understand why this might be the case? I cant see any settings in the menu's which would mean one works and the other doesn't!
Just wondering if anyone has had an issue like this before! I thought it was a HDMI handshake issue but clearly it isnt.
Thanks!

Last edited:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
FWIW - I have this same receiver but I've never used Monitor 2 output so I can't say for certain my advice is solid....

It seems that you do have some control over monitor 1 and monitor 2 - check page 163 in your owner's manual (Video Output). Also, do you have ARC enabled on your projector/tv?

Michael Radisch

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Radisch
Gday Dave,
I looked at that page in the manual and have played with those settings, didnt seem to make a difference!
Also, my projector doesnt do the ARC thing, there is no audio that it can return.
Thanks for your help though! ill just keep using Monitor 2 until I can figure out what is going on...

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
I am currently having the same issues - I talked to Denon support today and monitor 1 output has 4K priority, while monitor 2 does not. I have a 4K in output 1 and my Sony 1080p projector in 2. The HDCP HDMI handshake does not work most of the time, so I have to pull out the TV from output 1 and it works fine.

Trying to figure out a solution other than the pull out method, no pun intended.

I'm hoping turning off the standby power function of my Sony TV will help the monitor output issue.

switchy

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Your projector may have an Edid setting which might need to be changed. I think the edid setting allows the projector to use older source players without hdr support which is B on my projector. On my projector which is a x5500 jvc there is an A and B setting. A is used for all new source machines and B is for the older type bluray players and such. Try changing them settings.

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Your projector may have an Edid setting which might need to be changed. I think the edid setting allows the projector to use older source players without hdr support which is B on my projector. On my projector which is a x5500 jvc there is an A and B setting. A is used for all new source machines and B is for the older type bluray players and such. Try changing them settings.

OK.. I'll check the settings. It's the new settings I've got the issues with as the X4400 priority is 4K and not 1080p.
Thanks for the tip!

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
No worries Andrew hope you get it sorted mate.

Thanks.... I've been searching some other posts and forums and some are saying HDMI 2 input on the Sony projector handles the HDCP handshake better. If not, I'll have to use the old manual switch and pull the 4K TV out of the receiver when I wanna watch the projector :)

I'll post an update once I've figured it out.

switchy

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Thanks.... I've been searching some other posts and forums and some are saying HDMI 2 input on the Sony projector handles the HDCP handshake better. If not, I'll have to use the old manual switch and pull the 4K TV out of the receiver when I wanna watch the projector :)

I'll post an update once I've figured it out.
Yea great mate. I will be most interested to know what the problem was.I can remember setting up my JVC projector and going through something similar.

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Yea great mate. I will be most interested to know what the problem was.I can remember setting up my JVC projector and going through something similar.

so that was bogus... Same issues as the HDMI 1 input. Oh well, it's a very old school solution to the problem... just unplugging it works great :)

Evert Gaitan

Auditioning
Real Name
Evert
Thanks for letting me know Andrew as it is something to keep in mind.
Gday guys,
I have a Denon X4000, and when I use the Monitor 1 HDMI output to my projector, all I get is sound no picture for most inputs (for some reason Foxtel works but the media player, fetch box dont get picture).
But, if I use the Monitor 2 output everything works fine, picture and sound.
Anyone understand why this might be the case? I cant see any settings in the menu's which would mean one works and the other doesn't!
Just wondering if anyone has had an issue like this before! I thought it was a HDMI handshake issue but clearly it isnt.
Thanks!
For this Fix go to setup menu than Video,HDMI Setup,Video output and select auto(Dual).
Then set your HDMI audio out to TV
If you want sound to the tv’s otherwise they’ll be mute.
And both outputs should give you audio and video.

if you have your HDMI audio out set to AVR you won’t get audio on one of the outputs

and if you have your video output set to monitor 1 or 2 you will only get the one selected and not both

hope this helps

Last edited:

Omartian

Auditioning
Real Name
Omar
Did anyone find a solution to this issue. Running into the same problem w/my new jvc projector and my denon x4400h. I've ruled out bad ports on the projector, receiver and faulty cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks