What's new

Denon Receiver upgrade from "Digital Ready" (1 Viewer)

GregBe

Second Unit
I currently have an older Denon AVR 1400 that is "Digital Ready". My DVD player has an internal Dolby Digital and DTS decoder built in, so I have it hooked up through the 6 channel outputs to 6 channel inputs of the receiver with Monster 400 interconnects. I am thinking of upgrading my receiver to one that has the decoders in the receiver.
Is it a worthwhile upgrade for this feature alone? I will probably be in the $300 price range. Also, any suggestions on specific receivers.

Thanks

Mike_A

Stunt Coordinator
depends which dvd player you have, how good its deocder is, and what other features you may gain with a new receiver. if its JUST for the decoder and you're dvd player has good bass management already, then i don't think you'll gain much at all.

now if you end up with more power, prologic2 processing, or need to be able to decode digital signals from other sources (directv, cable box, xbox, etc.) then you'll gain a lot from getting a whole new receiver.

Rob_Smurf

Auditioning
Greg,
I too am a long time owner of the 1400. There isn't anything "digital" about it in my opinion since it lacks any digital inputs whatsoever. If you like the sound of it with your speakers, I'd suggest staying with Denon. The 1803 is the obvious choice in your price range, although slightly higher. Consider how long you plan to keep the receiver and let that guide you on to budget more or not. The 2803 has an incredible price/features ratio IMO.

I am replacing my 1400 next month with the 3803, FWIW. I've been trying since it was the 3801!
Rob

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If the DACs in your new receiver are better than the ones in your DVD player, then the upgrade will be worth it. If you do not step up in terms of power, then the upgrade is less worthwhile, though there will be side benefits such as greater options with respect to decoding newer formats and additional processing (Dolby Pro Logic II, Circle Surround I & II, DTS: NEO6, Logic 7, etc... depending on brand).

If you stick with Denon, the 1603 is in your price range, but I would also recommend the 1803 or 2803 if you can stretch your budget.

I'd also consider the Marantz SR4300, H/K AVR 225, Onkyo TX-SR501 in that price range.

What speakers and what size room?

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I had an AV 2600 and had the same dilema. I bought a Toshiba DVD with decoder built in but really was never happy with it. The 1400 has 55 W X 5 and just about any good NEW same quality AVR will eclipse this.

I went to a 1603 but found that while the digital decoding was a huge improvement and going from 25 W rears to 80 W (rated who knows the real number) going from 100 W x 3 across the front was a big letdown.

I now have a Rotel RSX 1055 which is a whole bunch more expensive.

If you could stretch your budget and jump to the 2803 I think it would be a good move. It has WAY more features than 16 or 1803 and seems to me to have a better power supply and sound. BUt you will bust your budget big time (around 550 to 600 vs your 300 budget)

If it were me (like I said I dealt with a similar thing) I'd try to see if you can sell your 1400 and DVD as a package to someone then use the $ plus your 300 budget to buy a new reciever AND DVD. DVDs are so much cheaper now wyou can get a good one for less than $200.

I think you will notice a big differnce in the quality of the decoding in a new receiver vs the decoders in a DVD (and way more tweaking ability) just my 2 cents

GregBe

Second Unit
Well I made the move today. I was able to find an Onkyo 600 open box at Fry's for $250. I have always have had good success with open box, and for 1/2 price, it was a no brainer.
Dolby Digital and DTS in the receiver, 6.1, Dolby ProLogic II, more power, and greater ease of connecting more components. It sounded great in the store, let's hope it sounds as good at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks