Denon receiver caused my Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer to "wimp out"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricHaas, Feb 26, 2002.

1. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I recently switched from a Sony DE series receiver to the Denon 3801. Before the switch, my Sony Sa-WM40 subwoofer was loud and boomy. Sucked for music, but nice for HT. Well after plugging it into the Denon, it is 180 degrees opposite. It now seems a little tighter, but man has it lost its balls. Even on the test tone it sounds like 12db lower than the other speakers.

I have a standard Rat Shack RCA interconnect. It plugs into 2 holes which appear to be the sub preouts in the back of the Denon. On the other end, I had to use a combiner to plug it into 1 hole on the subwoofer. Note this is *exactly* the same way it was plugged in to my Sony receiver.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: room placement has not changed either, so it isn't that.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

So you have a RCA y-cable with two plugging into the 3801 and one into the sub? I thought there was only one sub-out on the receiver.

Try cabling the sub with only a single RCA cable and readjusting your speaker levels, sub particularly.

4. EricHaas

I think I did try it plugged into only 1 hole, but it is unclear on the back of the receiver whether it is just 1 hole for the sub preout or if it includes the 1 next to it. It kind of sounds the same either way.

I have not calibrated it, but I did set the sub level up 2 notches so far and it STILL sounds wimpy.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

6. EricHaas

"Until you calibrate, any discussion is moot."

Well that assumes that this is a calibration issue. What if it just isn't plugged in right? What if I experiment by turning the sub level up to max and it still sounds the same?

I am not trying to be facetious, but I do not own an SPL meter at the moment and will probably not buy one for at least a month until my bank account gets over what I spent on the rest of the stuff.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

8. EricHaas

I think the 1 jack is the correct sub preout, not the 2. But as I said, it sounds the same either way. The reason I say at least preliminarily it is not a calibration issue is because I think I know what calibration is. You measure the output from each speaker and adjust levels so that output from each is the same, right? Now I already know that the sub output is WAY below the other speakers. At +2db with the others at 0db, it sounds like it is actually 10db's lower (half the volume). Now suppose I get an SPL meter and it tells me to turn it up to +10db and I do this and it sounds in balance. Doesn't that kind of extreme situation of having to turn the level up that high suggest that something is attenuating the volume of the sub? I know that new electronics require volume adjustments but the situation just seems extreme.

Anyway, I'll try out calibration as soon as I can afford an SPL meter. Thanks.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

10. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

I just went from a Sony DE-915 to a Denon 2802 last weekend, and by far my sub did not mellow out. It definitely went from "muddy" to more defined, but I definitely have not noticed any actual signal loss.

As Vince pointed out, I believe on that pre-out panel the upper coax connector is for the center pre-out, and the lower is for the sub pre-out. Only the lower one should be connected. Also, go through the System System menus and make sure your crossover is set to 80hz. Mine came set at 100hz for some strange reason, even though the manual recommends 80hz as a starting point. Also, initially configure ALL of your speakers to SMALL. This will force the Denon to pass all bass signals to the sub.

Rich

11. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

The 3801 has a single xover point [80hz],it has one LFE[single ended RCA]output,and it has a healthy voltage on that output as well[over 8v unclipped according to S&V].

BTW the 3801 uses a steeper filter on it's lowpass section [24db/octave vs the more common 18db/octave],which could account for the perception of the "tighter" bass.

12. Kenny Booth

Kenny Booth Stunt Coordinator

I think there is only one pre-out plug for your sub. Sounds like you have it plugged into your pre-out for the sub and pre-out for the center.

13. EricHaas

Yes, I am sure now there is only one preout jack and I have it set back to that. However, I have tried it both ways and it sounds anemic either way. I am going to pick up an SPL meter this weekend and just calibrate it. Thanks for the replies.