Denon Questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnnyN, Jan 24, 2002.

1. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

2. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

The 4802 was never advertised as upgradable and coincidentally neither is the 5803. I think Denon is learning from the 5800 upgrade uproar not to advertise it so much even if the 5803 is upgradable.

Patrick

4. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Actually Patrick, The remark, once again, after the RS-232 comment..."for future upgrades." Maybe they will continue to service the units. They will probably continue to put out another flagship every other year with something that is not available with the upgrade...but I think it's a little to early to start thinking they won't do it again. I also don't believe it was the uproar of the 5800 owners, rather the ability to pull it off. I believe that Denon will get MORE flagship customers by doing this upgrade. It will boost the confidence of the consumer, IMO. In this economy, how many of us can truly afford $4,000 every other year to replace our front end??? Denon is still going to make $800 from each of us, and that is probably a damn good profit margin...considering what it actually costs for the digital board. But if they are able to double the flagship owners in the world...they've succeeded.

Jeremy

5. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Jeremy,

I did see the future upgrades note. It made me wonder if they would eventually give us a forward path for the FireWire interface but I'm not holding my breath for it.

You may be right about the rest. It was a technical challenge for them to do the upgrade and I think they underestimated the DSP power required for the new formats that were introduced after the introduction of the 5800. I'm betting they didn't think it would cost $800 for the upgrade either.

Patrick

6. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

I agree,

I just think its a great thing, maybe the beginning to something special for all flagship receiver manufacturers to take note of...and maybe even the pre/pro manufacturers with $3-$5k products.

Hopefully its not just a one time occurance.

Jer

7. Jean-Francois Masse

3 years ago my 5700 was future proof, but probably for a limited time... I suppose it's harder to add another chanel of amplification (for dd ex and dts es) without changing all the unit.