What's new

Denon Questions... (1 Viewer)

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
DVD-Audio decoding with Adjustable Digital Bass Management, Delay, Channel Levels and Tone Controls - when connected to DVD-9000 with DENON Digital Link
Does this mean the 5800 with upgrade can take the digital signal out from the DVD-9000 and bypass the 5.1 analog outputs altogether?? That would be sweet considering the BurrBrown DACs on the 5800.
I am considering trading in my 4802 for a 5803 if I can get a good deal, but in the meantime just out of curiousity sake, anybody think it possible that Denon might have some kind of upgrade plan for the 4802? The digital back panel does not seem detachable like the 5800... Does the RS-232 present any possibilities?
So many pieces of equipment to upgrade, so little time to work and make enough money to upgrade them all. :frowning:
oh. one more thing. how come so many dealers sell denon equipment and only a handful are authorized? why is denon sending units to these non authorized dealers, allowing them to sell them and then saying nope we won't honor our warranties on these units? I mean why are they getting these units from denon in the first place? I don't mind buying from an authorized dealer, i just wish denon would get their act together on this one and authorize more dealers.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
why is denon sending units to these non authorized dealers
They aren't. Units from non-authorized dealers are grey market units. They may have been aquired them from another dealer who had an over stock and be good units. BUT... They may be returned or reconditioned units, possibly from an overseas source. You take a big risk buying from non-authorized dealers.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
The 4802 was never advertised as upgradable and coincidentally neither is the 5803. I think Denon is learning from the 5800 upgrade uproar not to advertise it so much even if the 5803 is upgradable.

Patrick

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Actually Patrick, The remark, once again, after the RS-232 comment..."for future upgrades." Maybe they will continue to service the units. They will probably continue to put out another flagship every other year with something that is not available with the upgrade...but I think it's a little to early to start thinking they won't do it again. I also don't believe it was the uproar of the 5800 owners, rather the ability to pull it off. I believe that Denon will get MORE flagship customers by doing this upgrade. It will boost the confidence of the consumer, IMO. In this economy, how many of us can truly afford $4,000 every other year to replace our front end??? Denon is still going to make $800 from each of us, and that is probably a damn good profit margin...considering what it actually costs for the digital board. But if they are able to double the flagship owners in the world...they've succeeded.

Jeremy

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Jeremy,

I did see the future upgrades note. It made me wonder if they would eventually give us a forward path for the FireWire interface but I'm not holding my breath for it.

You may be right about the rest. It was a technical challenge for them to do the upgrade and I think they underestimated the DSP power required for the new formats that were introduced after the introduction of the 5800. I'm betting they didn't think it would cost $800 for the upgrade either.

Patrick

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
I agree,

I just think its a great thing, maybe the beginning to something special for all flagship receiver manufacturers to take note of...and maybe even the pre/pro manufacturers with $3-$5k products.

Hopefully its not just a one time occurance.

Jer

3 years ago my 5700 was future proof, but probably for a limited time... I suppose it's harder to add another chanel of amplification (for dd ex and dts es) without changing all the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks