Denon/Paradigm reference match up.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by greggor, Jul 6, 2004.

1. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    I just ordered the 5803A a few days ago, and I was wondering if anyone here can comment on the sound when matched with Paradigm speakers. I currently have a Sony 777ES, which I always found a bit bright. I've heard that Denon recievers tend to be warmer sounding than the Sony's and yamaha's. Should there be an improvemnet in sound over my current set-up? I'll have 7 days to return the reciever once I get it, and I can still cancel the order of I choose to. What do you experts think?

Greg

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Its really an opinion you will have to make. I personally don't care for the Denon sound. My first HT consisted of Denon and Paradigm, I ended up selling the Denon and going with a Sony ES piece and I was much happier.

Listen to them both and make a choice.

3. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    I have a Denon 5803 and Paradigm Reference V2 speakers and am very happy with the sound.

I can recommend the combination.

Mike

4. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Thanks Mike. I can definately say the Sony ES and paradigm match up is very lacking IMO. I have been listening to my 777ES now for three years with my studio 60's and although it doesn't sound bad its just not as good as know it could be with adequate amplification. I do remember hearing paradigms at a local Hi-Fi store matched up with Denon and I liked the sound. I just never heard them matched with the 5803. Anyonme else?

5. Ed+S

Ed+S Auditioning

I would recommend getting an external amp. NO receiver can match a good quality external amp.

I have a Sony STR-DA77ES receiver and Paradigm Studio 100 V2. They sounded adequate with the receiver, but came to life when I added an Aragon 8008X5 amp (5X 200W @ 8 ohms, 5X 400W @ 4 ohms, 5X 26W class A amplification). The amp is larger than the receiver and weighs over 100 lbs. Just no replacement for size.

This was a better investment than any receiver. When I finally decide that I need the new sound fields that the Sony does not have, I will get a pre-amp. No sense buying amplification when I already have about the best available.

My experience with the Paradigm Studio speakers is that the need a robust external amp to get the best out of them. The bass gets much tighter, cleaner and lower, and the treble mellows out.

Your receiver's processor is not the problem, its amps are. Get external amps and never look back

Ed S.

6. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Thanks Ed. I did consider the separates route and was going to use the 777ES as a pre-amp. I decided against that because I really liked the convenience of a reciever that could do everything at a lesser cost. The Denon 5803 appeas to be able to do that. I was just wondering how Paradigm/Denon owners liked the match up.

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I agree with the suggestion of going with an outboard amp.

But you already have a receiver that can do everything, and the separate amp (used perhaps) will cost you less than the 5803 and you will be able to keep it for life. The 5803 will get recycled in a few years down the road and you will be out again looking.

To answer your orignal question though I think the Denon mates well with Paradigm so you can rest assured the combo will sound great.

MHO.

8. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg

Thank you for answering my question. In an few years down the road when I'm ready to recycle my Denon I will then be using it as a pre-amp as I'm sure it will be a better proccessor than my current Sony.

9. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Ah, but therein lies the problem. In a few years you probably won't want to use the Denon as your processor, because processor technology improvement is moving at a fairly rapid pace. That's why Yogi suggested you get an amp instead of a new receiver, because amps just aren't improving that much and will basically last until they break. If you are satisfied with the Sony's processing abilities and just want better amplification to improve the sound of your Paradigms (which by experience I think makes a difference), I would agree that you should get a good amp instead of a new receiver, because chances are in a few years you'll want a new receiver anyway as a pre/pro, and the Denon you get will have to go.

This is of course ignoring the fact that even pre/pros affect the quality of sound, and your Sony receiver probably sounds different than that Denon, even if used only as a pre/pro.

10. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the Denon set you back?

Audio Advisor is offering a killer deal on Adcom seperates right now. There is another thread going on about this too. I would check it out.

http://audioadvisor.com/store/mfglis...g=ADCOM&Page=2

11. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

All Greggor asked was if the new Denon 5803 he bought was a good match or not with the Paradigm speakers that he has. The first few replies addressed that. However, somehow, some of you guys keep poking at him to change and go to seperates. Greggor was very polite in his response saying that he had considered that, but no thanks.
    But, he is still getting replies advising him to rethink what he has already done, and even adding links to help push him that way.
    Please guys, let him be and stay within the context of the questions that are asked. He has bought a great piece of equipment. Let's allow him to enjoy it and move on from there.

Al. Wise

12. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Gee I'm sorry, I took this;

thinking he was still open to suggestions.

My apologies Greggor if I mis-interpreted your post.

13. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg

Thats what I said, and I was willing to return it or cancel my order if I heard from several members that the Denon isn't a good match with my speakers. Since the Denon appears to be a good match I'll keep it. Due to where I live I didn't have the oppurtunity to take one home and do a demo which is why I am somewhat relying on the good people here to comment on the match up between Denon and Paradigm. Thanks for the replies that addressed this issue.

14. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Your welcome, I hope you enjoy it. Personally I dont care for the wooled over sound the Denon brought to the table...to each his own though. Enjoy! [​IMG]

15. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I have the Studio series 40, 470, 20 with a Denon 3803, I agree its not the same class as the 5803, and it sounds great. That's a good price for the receiver, so I think you're making a good choice. I'd probably do the same thing you're doing if I was in your shoes. The 5803 has features the separates don't and you can always add amps later.

16. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Hey thanks mackie. If you could characterize the sound for me I would really appreciate it. I think sonically the 5803 and the 3803 may be more alike than you think. I use 40's as surrounds and I think they sound almost identical to my stusio 60's, so I would be very interested in what you have to say. Thanks.

Greg

17. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Greggor, I use Denon and Paradigm (however in a lower bracket) and I love my monitor series and 2802. I think if you like all the features of the Denon Receiver, it will give you adequate power for the Paradigms and instead of having a 3 year old receiver, you have a brand new flagship, that should hold its own well until you decide you want to upgrade to seperate amps and eventually a new processor.

Let us know how you like the combo though, thats what really matters! Try to give the receiver a good workout within the 7 days to break in the amps, etc. Keep it playing at a decent level while you're at work (if you can that is). Some people say receivers have break-in, some say no way. But it certainly can't hurt to put a few hours on it before you decide.

18. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

greggor, since you've got great equipment and have obviously done your homework, you know how room treatments affect sound. I'm going to start by saying my HT setup is in a living room that opens up to a kitchen and has two other openings in the room. It is carpeted with three couches arranged in a C shape with the speakers inside of the sofas, so a lot of sound is absorbed and not well contained.

The highs are detailed without being overwhelming. Voices, string instruments, and pianos really shine on this setup. The mid and bass have plenty of detail and impact. Of course I have a sub to handle the low bass, and I have the crossover set at 100Hz. I experimented with the crossovers and that seemed to work best in my setup. I have had it as loud as 100db without any distortion I could hear, but I didn't keep it that loud for very long. Good recordings sound outstanding - clear and detailed. Bad recordings can sound...bad. It's not what I'd call warm, but it's not nearly as bright as the Klispch speakers I used to have. The Denon has different audio settings so you can adjust the sound. I had a Yamaha, 795a, prior to this that was much brighter and the sound wasn't as smooth as the the Denon.

I can't imagine that you won't be happy with your choice. $2900 for a receiver Crutchfield is listing at approximately $4500 is awesome. I went with the 3803 because I got a good deal on it as part of a package with TV and sub. I wanted separates, but I wouldn't have been able to afford a HDTV if I went that route. I've been able to scratch up a little extra cash since I got this, so I went ahead and ordered two amps from outlaw to power the 40s. They don't need it, but I want to see if it helps the sound any.

Hope this helps.