Denon owners: would you use 4 ohm Klipsch with a 4802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_C, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Title says it all. I know that the manual says 6 ohms and I tend to stick to what the manufacturer suggests. I do wonder if the 4802 could handle my Kg-4's.

Has anyone used 4 ohm speakers with a Denon? The 4802 has a pretty hefty power supply so one would think that it wouldn't have a problem with delivering the current. Is it strictly a heat issue? Would a well ventilated 4802 driving efficient Klipsch be okay? More to the point...has anyone here done it and what was the result?

I've got a Yamaha right now and I've been considering an upgrade to a RX-V3200. The problem is that I really like the features of the Denon line, especially the 4802 with it's adjustable crossover.

I really don't want to buy new speakers because I love the Kg-4's. I've considered Ebay for a used set of 6 ohm Kg-4's but I really don't want to buy another set of speakers. I'd rather put that money into the best receiver that I can afford.

FYI: It's a choice between either Yamaha or Denon. I really like the sound of these two lines. That is the ultimate factor for me.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

The KG 4 is rated at 94db with 1 watt. That is very efficient. You would probably destroy the speakers before the 4802 ran out of gas.
    Artie

3. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

This is taken from the 4802 manual:

4. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

I once owned a Denon AVR-3300 for about a month, running Canton Ergo 92DC speakers. These speakers are primarily a 4 ohm load (Canton claims they can go lower than 4 ohms) and have an efficiency of 89dB. I never had the 3300 shut down nor was the sound ever strained, although the bass was a little shy (that could have been because the speakers were relatively new). I suspect that the amp section in the 4802 would be better than the 3300's.

Michael

5. Matty S

Matty S Auditioning

I've got the Denon 4800 driving my M&K S-125's (nominal 4 ohm load). The 4800 handles them with ease, with seemingly plenty of power to spare. Even during the wildest action movies the receiver never gets really hot and I don't think I've ever had the fan kick on.

6. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Thanks to those who answered.

I hate it when I post a question only to find out that the answer was right there in front of me. :b

From the Denon website FAQ: