What's new

Denon owners: would you use 4 ohm Klipsch with a 4802 (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Title says it all. I know that the manual says 6 ohms and I tend to stick to what the manufacturer suggests. I do wonder if the 4802 could handle my Kg-4's.

Has anyone used 4 ohm speakers with a Denon? The 4802 has a pretty hefty power supply so one would think that it wouldn't have a problem with delivering the current. Is it strictly a heat issue? Would a well ventilated 4802 driving efficient Klipsch be okay? More to the point...has anyone here done it and what was the result?

I've got a Yamaha right now and I've been considering an upgrade to a RX-V3200. The problem is that I really like the features of the Denon line, especially the 4802 with it's adjustable crossover.

I really don't want to buy new speakers because I love the Kg-4's. I've considered Ebay for a used set of 6 ohm Kg-4's but I really don't want to buy another set of speakers. I'd rather put that money into the best receiver that I can afford.

FYI: It's a choice between either Yamaha or Denon. I really like the sound of these two lines. That is the ultimate factor for me.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
The KG 4 is rated at 94db with 1 watt. That is very efficient. You would probably destroy the speakers before the 4802 ran out of gas.
Artie

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
This is taken from the 4802 manual:
) are connected. If the protector circuit is activated, the speaker output is cut off. Turn off the set's power, wait for the set to cool down, improve the ventilation around the set, then turn the power back on.
So, what do you make of this? Is Denon hinting that 4 ohms and up might be okay? Are Denon's rated for 6 ohms and up to meet a less stringent UL fire rating than it would have to if Denon specifically stated that you could use 4 ohm speakers?
I do know that the ohm rating for a speaker is nominal and not minimum. My speakers could present loads lower than 4 ohms more readily than a 6 or 8 ohm speaker. Maybe that would push the Kg-4 into that 'lower than 4 ohm' catergory that is highlighted above.
I'd email Denon but I suspect that they'll give me a canned response along the lines of 'the manual says...'

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I once owned a Denon AVR-3300 for about a month, running Canton Ergo 92DC speakers. These speakers are primarily a 4 ohm load (Canton claims they can go lower than 4 ohms) and have an efficiency of 89dB. I never had the 3300 shut down nor was the sound ever strained, although the bass was a little shy (that could have been because the speakers were relatively new). I suspect that the amp section in the 4802 would be better than the 3300's.

Michael

Matty S

Auditioning
I've got the Denon 4800 driving my M&K S-125's (nominal 4 ohm load). The 4800 handles them with ease, with seemingly plenty of power to spare. Even during the wildest action movies the receiver never gets really hot and I don't think I've ever had the fan kick on.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
Thanks to those who answered.

I hate it when I post a question only to find out that the answer was right there in front of me. :b

From the Denon website FAQ:

9) CAN I USE 4 OHM LOUDSPEAKERS WITH MY DENON RECEIVER OR POWER AMPLIFIER?

Yes, you certainly can.

To understand this a bit better, first realize that all amplifiers are designed to deliver a signal into an electrical "load" or resistance presented by the loudspeaker. We measure resistance in units called "ohms" (after the German physicist Georg Simon Ohm, 1787–1854).

Conventional wisdom makes an 8 ohm loudspeaker load the most acceptable because it "protects" the amplifier from delivering too much current. A 4 ohm loudspeaker can encourage a marginally designed amplifier to deliver more current than it comfortably can.

However, you should remember that a loudspeaker’s impedance rating is a nominal or average one: A speaker rated at 8 ohms may actually vary from 5 (sometimes even less) to 20 ohms or higher, depending on the frequency at which you measure the impedance. (Don’t worry about this too much -- good speaker engineers are well aware of these variations and take them into consideration when designing products.)

In general, you’ll find that Denon products are designed to function with a wide variety of loudspeakers and have power supplies and output circuitry more than able to meet the current demands of low impedance loads.

In the rare event that very low impedances tax the amplifier, quick acting circuitry will protect it from damage. If unusual operating conditions trigger this circuitry, the word "PROTECTION" will appear on the unit’s front panel. If this happens, simply turn the unit off, wait a moment or two, and turn the unit back on again. The protection circuitry will automatically reset. If it re-engages, check your system for possible malfunctions.
Sorry for wasting server space guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks