Denon & Outlaw?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ray_C, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

Hello All,

For those who are familiar...would I be gaining anything (aside from 10 more watts per channel) by using an Outlaw 7100 7-channel amp hooked up to the pre-outs of a Denon AVR-2803? I love the Denon's processing and inherent sound, as well as the detail in surround sound, but I'd like a bit more midrange punch, especially when listening to music. My speakers are Klipsch References, RC-25 center, RB-25 mains, RS-25 surrounds, and soon to be RB-15 for the rear surround. My other choice would be a Parasound HCA855 5-channel, letting the Denon power the rear surrounds, since they aren't used on the majority of my DVD's. Thanks for any input.

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

3. TimGRA

TimGRA Stunt Coordinator

I have a Pioneer elite and just hooked up a Parasound 2205 amp. (Waiting for the new Sherwood Newcastle Pre-Pro to come out) What an amazing difference with head room, bass extension and mid-range. I have heard that receiver amplification is just not as clean and powerful as a separate amp. I can now say I agree. You may think it is only 10 more watts, but don't be fooled by that. Amps are a discussion all unto their own. A good amp will last many years and is a great foundational piece to any system. My vote would be the Parasound. Good warm sound quality that would compliment your Denon. Your also one step closer to separates. That is when the sound REALLY changes!
    Good luck-
    tim

4. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input! The HCA-855a looks like a good choice, and it's going for a steal.

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Ray:

Do you need a 7 channel amp? If not I would recommend looking at the Outlaw 755 5 channel amp.

It is 200 watts per channel and will really make a difference in the overall sound of your system.

Parker

6. Ray_C

Ray_C Stunt Coordinator

Not really, Parker, and thanks for responding. I actually found out that I do have more discs w/ DD EX and DTS ES than I thought, so all seven from the same amp would be nice. But then again, I don't want to spend more than $1k, and I don't really have to get too loud, as the Klipsch's are super-efficient. I'm sure that the Parasound 855's 85 watts will blow away the Denon 2803's 90 watts if need be, and I'm not even really worried about the rear speakers, as 5.1 is really all I need. From what I can gather through numerous readings, I'd probably be leaning more towards the Parasound's tone rather than the Outlaws, as the Klipsch's are bright speakers to begin with (although I like the way they sound).

7. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I have the Denon 3803 matched with Parasound amps. This config sounds wonderfull.

Outlaw is also an Option, as far as Preamps are concerned, the Denon may do a few extra things that the Outlaw will not. For one, the Denon Upconverts all video sources to component.. Which is worth it's weight in gold for that one option...

8. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

I couldn't imagine removing my 885 from my 2802. I also have Klipsch speakers and the 885 makes em sing. Although, I wouldn't mind trying a 1205 someday. [​IMG]

9. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

add me to the 1205 list also....after I upgrade my receiver to a true pre/pro..