Denon/Outlaw combo..

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rob Grim, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Rob Grim

Rob Grim Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a Denon 3805 driving my Polk Audio speakers but I'm really thinking about adding a Outlaw 7125 to the mix to drive my Polks. My question is, has anyone had any luck with this combo? If so, did you notice an overall improvement in sound quality, etc. Just want to make sure before purchasing a amplifier it will be money well spent. Thanks in advance.

2. BillSuneson

BillSuneson Stunt Coordinator

what kind of polk speakres are you running?

3. Rob Grim

Currently running the RTi70's, CSi40, FXi30's and the RTi28's.

4. Brent_S

Brent_S Second Unit

What are you hoping to improve about the sound?

From Hometheater Mag's measurements of the 3805, it's internal amps are already pretty stout when driving all channels simultaneously...no fibbing there by Denon. Sound&Vision measured similar bench results from a 3806.

That's a long way of saying the Outlaw won't play any louder, if that's what you're looking for. You need 2x the power for a 3db increase and 3db is generally the smallest SPL change we can perceive.

I tend to be an objectivist and will say you *might* hear a difference in the distortion or s/n ratio between the Outlaw and the Denon's internal amps, especially when pushed to the limit. The Outlaw will probably maintain it's composure a little better when driven hard, but do your listening levels and/or room size push the Denon to its limits?

If it were me, I'd probably find something else to do with $1k. At least Outlaw has a generous return policy so you're only out shipping if you don't hear a $1k improvement.

5. BillSuneson

BillSuneson Stunt Coordinator

the one thing you'll notice going from receiver amps to a seperate amp is the open sound. The sound will actually open up and you'll be able to tell a difference. And thats not speaking directly about the outlaw but about seperate amplifiers in general.

Bill

6. arjun

arjun Auditioning

Speakers are not static loads and change their impedance with freq. Polk speakers are somewhat difficult to drive as they have impedance dips in the 4ohm region. The receivers are tested in the lab with static loads so a separate amp with a 100W rated output might sound more powerful than a receiver with similar ratings simply because its able to handle the lower impedance dips better. In my experience almost always a separate amp sounded better than a mass market receivers amps simply because its better built with a more robust and stiffer power supply and higher current delivery output devices.

Brent is right about needing a power amp that is rated at twice the power for a 3db gain, but the human ear can perceive differences as low as half a db and the 3db extra power gives you more headroom during those explosive scenes. So if you can afford it get a separate poweramp and you dont have to get a 5 channel one. Your sound will improve just by adding a stereo amp as this will free the receivers power supply to handle the center channel and since most of the demanding material stays in the front two (or three) channels anyway. Get a used 200W/ch for less than $400 and get to the next level in HT sound.

7. Rob Grim

Well, just an update on my above situation. I recently ordered the Outlaw 990/7700 combo. Once it arrives and I get everything set up I will post my thoughts.