What's new

Denon or Yamaha?? (1 Viewer)

underwood7582

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Hey everyone and thanks for taking the time to read this.
My question is which reciever would you go with. I have 3 that i am considering but if you have another reciecer that you recommend, please let me know it. I am building a Ht system that includes a Polk Csi A4 center, Polk Rti A3's as my Front Speakers as well as my Rear Surrounds and in ceiling Polk Tc80i's as my surrounds with a Polk DSW 440 sub.
I am wondering if the Denon AVR 1913, Denon 2312CI, or the Yamaha RX-A720 would be the best fit.
I have a vaulted ceiling so EQ may be a little tricky. Thats one of the reasons I was going with Denon. I have heard great things about their Audyssey EQ and how you can set it up at 6 different locations to get the best EQ throughout the room. I think with the Yamaha , you just set it up in the middle and let it do its work. I really dont know what to do.
So, what would you choose if it were you. Again, any other suggestions are welcome.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, the blasphemy here...
YPAO is technically the better of the two ARC(auto room calibration).
But...
YPAO is designed to use the "exact same speaker" in all locations...which you aren't doing. So my recommendation is a Denon/Marantz or Onkyo/Integra with Aud Multi-EQ XT..

underwood7582

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
So would you recommend a certain one for my speakers that I listed. I mean, there are many recievers within the Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra line up. Any specific models you would suggest. My budget is no more than $650 for a reciever.
Again, my speakers are all Polk Audio.
Center- Csi A4
Front Left and Right- Rti A3
Surround Left and Right- Tc80i
Back Surrounds- Rti A3
Sub-- DSW 440i
Thanks for any help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would pick the AVR that has the features you are going to use.
Have a Wii/VCR? Buy one with HDMI upconversion.
Want to do height/width eventually? Buy a 7.1 or 9.1.
Have a laptop you occasionally connect? Buy one with a front HDMI.
Want "sub equalization"? Buy one with Aud Multi-EQ XT.
Want to eventually connect an external amp? Buy one with pre-outs.
Want zone 2/3 or speaker B? Buy one with them.

underwood7582

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Quick question,
Am I going to be able to tell the difference between a 90w per channel reciever and a 105w pc reciever.Both with 2 channels driven. My speakers will be able to handle 20-125w.
I guess what I am trying to ask is this? Would a 105w reciever sound that much better or would a 90 be just fine.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Let's say your speakers are 90db at one watt(not going to check...)...
90=1w
93=2w
96=4w
99=8w (the volume where you are already "rocking")
102=16w
105=32w (the volume you are trying to recreate a rock concert and your whole entire neighborhood is invited...whether they want to be or not)
108=64
111=128
So, no...you aren't going to notice a difference.
By the way, the volume where you "can't hear your phone ring"?
85db. Which means your AVR will be blistering along at .25w while you watch Big Bang Theory.

underwood7582

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Wow. Im glad this forum has people like you.
Getting a 90w receiver will save me some money and I will still get the features that I want.. and yes, the sensitivity on my Rti A3's and Csia4 is rated at 89db while my TC80s are at 90db.
Thanks again, you have been a great help Schan..
Btw, Would a 70w reciever be good enough for my speakers if Im not going to upgrade in the future? If Im reading your scale correctly, 90 would not give me much more volume than a 70, correct?? That would save me even more money!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Before you get "too low in the line" of any given mfr...
AVR are NOT 80x7...and actually...80 watts EACH channel...while all being used.
Your typical 90x7 Yamaha is really 45x7 once you are actually using all the channels at the same time. So, check the amp/wattage draw off the wall...consider roughly 50-70 watts in the video section...divide the rest by 5 or 7...
So, before you buy that low end x7 AVR that chews 280 watts off the wall...
Make sure you get enough wattage to achieve your volume goals.

underwood7582

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I can already tell this whole "wattage per channel, db sensitivity, channels driven" stuff is way over my head. I'm just gonna go with the Denon AVR 2312CI on sale at Crutchfield for $599. Thats 105w "per channel" with Audyssey and everything else I am looking for. Thanks so much for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks