What's new

Denon or Yamaha? Help! (1 Viewer)

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, just bought a Tosh 50h81 widescreen and need a audio system, quick! After a couple hours in Almas Hi-fi, I think Im going with the Paradigm Atoms all around. Pretty much narrowed down reciever choices between the Denon 1802, or the Yamaha Rx-V520(or620). Of course nobody in the area carries both for a side by side listen! Anyway I also need a DVD/CD 5 disk changer, so who has the better player between the two, or should I go with a Toshiba for the player?? Thanks guys, Mike

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
if you like dsp and processed sounds go w/ yamaha... i prefer denon because i don't like that processed mechanical sound...
------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
JKB

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
The important question is which receiver will match better with the speakers...unfortunately I have not listened to the atoms so I cannot say for sure...
But one thing I will say about yamaha is that they are superb in terms of reliability and/or build quality.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I am the owner of a Denon 1802, and chose it after auditioning it along with the Onkyo 595 and Yamaha 5460. I just liked the sound of the Denon better for music and HT (though the remote leaves much to be desired). A big selling point for me was the pre-amp option and DPLII. However, let your ears be the judge, because you can't go wrong with any of these three units - I personally liked them all.
RC

DaveThomas

Grip
I have a Yamaha rxv800, and compared that to Denon when I was making my decision. I like the rxv800 I have quite a bit.
Yamaha has a reputation for sounding a little bright compared to other brands of receivers, but that perception really depends on the listener. I've heard Paradigm mini monitors thru Denon 2801 and Yamaha RXV800 and did notice the Yamaha to be brighter, but not much. Otherwise the Yamaha and Denon sound very close to each other as far as music and movies, so the feature list would probably come into play more than any differences in sound quality. Denon has Pro Logic 2 if that makes any difference to you.
Any way you could get both receivers, try them out and return the one you don't like? Some dealers are very good about letting you try something out in your home for a few days.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Mike,
Slow down. You don't have to buy this gear all in one night.
Keep in mind that you have to live with your purchases for quite some time.
60 days down the road, and a few hundred dollars extra in your pocket, may have you lamenting your "quick" spree.
Don't rush ...... Stop and listen
BOK

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I have never heard anyone call the sound of the Yamaha "mechanical". The DSPs do their job and do it quite well.... IMHO but they don't sound mechanical. Anyway, all receivers PROCESS sound. True, the Yamaha sound tends to be "cleaner" due to the "brighter" effect with some speakers. I have had several Yamahas and when I upgrade, I alwsy go and listen to other brands but keep buying Yamaha. A shop in Memphis has Denon and Yamaha high end stuff and also Paradigm. The Atoms sounded good with either with the edge to Yamaha for my taste and actual home accoustics. I feel that you should probably consider your own accoustics before deciding. If you have hardwood floors and bare walls, the Denon may be better for its softer sound but if you have carpet and soft furniture, you may like the Yamaha. At least that was what I noted during every demo on my yearly sabatical to upgrade.
------------------
"I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, Thanks for your replies! OK, my set up is going to be in a finished basement, about a 20x40 area. I have carpet w/padding, drywall walls, and a drop ceiling. My seating is a big puffy sectional. Given all this sound absorbing material, would the slightly brighter Yamaha be the right choice?? Any thoughts between Yamahas DVD players vs. Toshibas?? One other thing, as much I like the Atoms, Im wondering how they would look on the wall for surrounds. You see, I have tons of space behind the couch, so any surrounds are going to be up on the side walls. Hmmmm... is it ok to use maybe Atoms in front and the little Paradigm cinema series for the walls?? Thanks again, any advice is appreciated! Mike

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I really love my Yamaha RXV620. I would really recommend getting at least the 620 or better if you decide to go with the yamaha. It has so much more than the 520. The reason I chose the Yamaha was because it gave me a better performance:price ratio. To get the same performance from a denon would cost a lot more $$$ however if you have the money for an equal performing denon, I would say go with the Denon. But chances are you wont find equal performance at the same price.

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
I auditioned Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo before finally deciding to go with the HTR-5280. I looked at the Onkyo TX-DS595 and the Denon 2801 as a comparison. I kept going back to the Yamaha because like other people have mentioned, it has a better price-performance ratio. I'll have a hard time running out I/O capability, too. It has quite an impressive number of inputs and outputs for a sub-$1000 receiver.
I'm sort of wishing I had the DPLII and/or Neo6 capability for my older VHS movies and broadcast programming, but oh well. Yamaha finally decided to implement these features on their upcoming HTR-5490 model.

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, what exactly is DLPII and what is it used for? It seems to be a topic that alot of people bring up. Anyway, any thoughts on DVD changers? Do I need progressive scan with the Tosh 50h81? ............. Mike

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
The current Yamaha line is outdated compared to Denon / Marantz / Onkyo, which all have DPL II and DD EX & DTS ES in the mid-range models and higher. The entire Yamaha line will be updated soon (not sure exactly when), so if you absolutely must have a Yamaha I'd wait. Otherwise, look at the others I just mentioned for reasonably priced 6.1 systems right now. As an example, the Marantz SR-5200 doesn't cost much more than the RX-V620 yet has the newer sound formats.
Dolby Pro Logic II is an enhanced version of the original, offering full-range stereo surround and a LFE channel. While it isn't as good as true 5.1, according to Dolby it "splits the difference" between DPL and DD 5.1. It is definitely a worthwhile feature in my view, since regular analog TV broadcasts and VHS tape benefits from it.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I am another satisfied customer of the Yamaha and Paradigm combination. The Atoms are a very good speaker, but I suggest you take a listen to the Mini-Monitors. You might consider them for the main speakers and use Atoms as rear speakers. For music the Mini's might give you a better bass.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
ChrisAG,
With the price range he's talking about, there is no way he can get EX or ES. We are talking $400 receiver here and for that $$$ nothing can compare to the Yamaha RXV620. I got mine for $380, and nothing can touch it for that price. You would have to spend an extra $100-$200 for a comparable Denon, but if you have the money, the Denon can't be beat. I however, couldn't spend an extra $200 for the same features. I dont care about DPLII either, I haven't even turned on my VCR since I got my DVD player.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Jeff Lam,
I'm just offering my opinion and suggestions here. If the $400 price is set in stone, then I'd suggest the Denon 1602 or Marantz 4200, both of which have DPL II. Both can be had for around $400. You may not watch many VHS tapes since getting a DVD player, but do you watch TV? All stereo and surround encoded analog TV programs can benefit from DPL II. Of all the new surround formats, this one offers the best bang for the buck.
Reviews for most receivers in this price range:
http://www.cnet.com/electronics/sear...ml?tag=stbc.gp

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks